Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Familiar Face

Default Delay in departure time on the Spirit...

Just received a recorded message that there was a delay due to an emergency evacuation and not to arrive at the terminal before 5 p.m. tomorrow. Bummin but suppose it could be worse. Hoping they don't throw another wrench in our trip! Will still be taking off to hotel today and taking advantage of late check-out rather than leaving hotel early as we had originally planned.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Sponsored Links
Old March 13th, 2011, 04:34 PM
Admiral

It appears they will not be getting into port for a little while longer now. I hope your cruise will be worth the wait. I know you won't read this until you get back. Good luck,

Nita
Old March 14th, 2011, 06:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

From NCL: "Norwegian Spirit had to divert from its return course for an emergency medical evacuation involving a guest on board. Because of this, the ship is now scheduled to arrive into New Orleans later than originally scheduled on Sunday, March 13, 2011. Instead of the scheduled arrival at 8 am, the ship will now arrive alongside into the Port of New Orleans at approximately 3 pm. Therefore, check-in and embarkation will begin at approximately 5 pm. We strongly encourage all guests to please delay their arrival to the terminal until 5 pm. "
Princess Emerald Princess (2010) min-suite
Carnival Conquest (2008)
Princess Grand Princess (2003)
Carnival Victory (2002)
Celebrity Century (1997) Century Suite
Carnival Fantasy (1997)
Carnival Ecstasy (1994) Grand Suite
NCL Sunward (1992) Marquee Suite
RCI Nordic Empress (1990)
RCI Song of America (1988)
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Admiral

apparently they didn't even arrive into New Orleans until about 5pm or later. The person who had the emergancy did pass away I will add.

Nita
Old March 21st, 2011, 11:04 AM
Familiar Face

The real reason they were so late was due to engine failure. They were hiding behind the emergency evac to avoid taking responsiblity for the real reason they were so late. We did not board until 10 p.m. and I got to pay for the passengers last day on board tips x4 while I sat on the hard floor in the terminal with no back support since they would not allow us to sit against the wall. They did not have enough chairs to accommodate everyone which I think is just ridiculous. The cruise did get better as it went along, but after that rough start, I have no intensions of sailing Norwegian again. It just isn't worth the savings of a few hundred dollars to me even if they offer what might look like a 'sweet deal' compared to Carnival or other lines sailing that same week. Just thankful my next 2cruises booked are with Carnival.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old March 21st, 2011, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
The real reason they were so late was due to engine failure. They were hiding behind the emergency evac to avoid taking responsiblity for the real reason they were so late. We did not board until 10 p.m. and I got to pay for the passengers last day on board tips x4 while I sat on the hard floor in the terminal with no back support since they would not allow us to sit against the wall. They did not have enough chairs to accommodate everyone which I think is just ridiculous. The cruise did get better as it went along, but after that rough start, I have no intensions of sailing Norwegian again. It just isn't worth the savings of a few hundred dollars to me even if they offer what might look like a 'sweet deal' compared to Carnival or other lines sailing that same week. Just thankful my next 2cruises booked are with Carnival.

Beth
could I ask where you got your information the delay had to do with the engine problem and not the passenger who did, evenutally pass away. Do you have any idea how much time was lost by heading to Key West and then back to New Orleans?

Nita
Old March 21st, 2011, 04:28 PM
Familiar Face

There was an emergency evac, true, but the real delay was due to the engine failure. I received my information from one of the officials at the terminal prior to departure.
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 10:50 AM
Admiral

I guess this is something none of us will ever know for sure, but reading comments from those who were on the delayed ship and many who sailed last week, they would disagree. The engine may have slowed things down, the diverting to Key West was the real issue. Anyway I guees neither of us know for sure. Did you say one of the officers on the ship or just someone working at the terminal?
Old March 22nd, 2011, 12:00 PM
Familiar Face

This information was from one of the officials at the terminal who I would imagine received her information from someone from the ship or maybe from her superior who received their information from someone on the ship. Either way, this was from an official and not hear-say from another passenger. Fact is, there was engine failure on top of emergency evac but it appears most want to put all the blame on the emergency evac for being so late. This is simply not the case. I could go into more detail about this and the BS on board at the information desk, but I have no time at present as I'm working and expecting a call from an NCL representative sometime today which will take even more time away from my job (I'm paid based on production) so need to get back to work now.

You know, I don't think another person from this board has responded to this thread or any other thread here that was catching the Spirit spring break week. I think we counted over 100 people catching the spirit on my other cruise board. I appreciate you taking the time to post to this thread and I think one other person posted to this thread, but I just feel like taking the time to post this thread was pointless so think I'll be bowing out here now.

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Take care,

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination