Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile 1st time cruiser on Norwegian Star...advice please!

Hi everyone. I will be going on a cruise in May 2012, my very first cruise. It is for my honeymoon. Originally I was thisclose to booking the Norwegian Gem to Bahamas but after reading quite a bit on the cruise forums, I decided to do the cruise to Bermuda on the Norwegian Star. My only concern is that the Star is an 11 year old ship. Has anyone cruised on the Star and can you tell me if the age matters? How is the ship? Is it run down? Do you agree that Bermuda is nicer and safer than the Bahamas?

Also, I am booking a Deck 10 Penthouse Balcony suite. Anyone ever stay in one of these rooms and are they okay as far as sea sickness goes? I dont usually suffer with it but my fiance' does and he is concerned. I am worried as well for both of us because it is our very first cruise and you just never know. I am bringing with me the travel bracelets and also Bonamine. Hopefully that will keep any sea sickness at bay!

Thank you all for any help you can give me!
Sponsored Links
Old July 14th, 2011, 03:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

No one has been on the Star? No advice at all?
Old July 14th, 2011, 04:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ncl Star

The Ncl star is a great ship. They keep even the old ships are in really good shape. As for sea sickness. Leaving New York in any month of any year it's allways rough seas. After the first day I am sure things will smooth out. Yes I think Bermuda is much better than the bahamas. It may still be a little cool though in May. But the hot tubs are allways hot. As for the entertainment and the food. It all should be good but any reviews now 10 months away will most likely change. Have a great cruise. Ed
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:27 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks so much for your reply!
Old July 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Cruise Maniac

We have sailed on the Star and it was very well maintained. Something we do for sea sickness- about 4 days before sailing take 3 ginger pills each day and then once onboard take a couple each day, or more if needed. Ginger pills will not make you sleepy and can be bought at any natural foods store. We keep a supply of them on hand because they are good for any stomach upset.
Old July 18th, 2011, 12:09 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you for the suggestion. I will certainly get some ginger pills!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 10:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default The Star is older

The Star is an older ship. I've never been on it, but I was docked in the Bahama's on the Jewel when it docked next to us. My take is that it is a smaller ship but, perhaps a more intimate one. One of the joys of cruising is meeting people from all over the world while having the opportunity to share quiet time with your cabin mate. I have been on the Seaword, Norway (twice), Jewel (twice) and the Gem (twice.) It's my experience that NCL has found a balance between casual and formal, kids v. kid-phobic. a decent base price but with the option of paying more for more. Eating when you want, how you want.

Did you know that if you don't drink or gamble or take expensive excursions, you are a loss-leader. SHHHHH.

Enjoy the cruise. Enjoy Bermuda. I hope to go there one day.

George
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
Familiar Face

I was quite confused there for a moment. I sailed what was once the Norwegian Star in 1997-- a much older ship than the latest model and still a pretty ship (not so much on the exterior though as seen in photo below) and a great cruise. I seriously doubt you will be disappointed in the ship itself. As for Norwegian cruise lines these days...? Well, my last experience on the NCL Spirit was bad enough that we have decided we will not be booking with NCL again.

I do hope your experience with NCL is a positive one.

As for sea sickness-- In all our years of cruising, the only person who has ever had a really bad case of it was my nanny who laid in bed most of the week while I tended to a very sick baby who came down with infantile roseola a couple days into our cruise. Yes, was my cruise from hell. I doubt this will be the case with your beloved. I think he will be just fine.

Beth

Operator: 1972-1991: Royal Viking Line1991-1997: Royal Cruise Line1997-1998: Norwegian Cruise Line1999-2001: Norwegian Capricorn Line2001-2002: Star Cruises2002: Crown Investments2002-2005: Spanish Cruise Line2005-present: Phoenix Reisen

Wikipedia
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?

Last edited by A&B; July 23rd, 2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Admiral

If you are booking a suite you wil be fine,plus the Star has had several refurbasions. 11 years old, isn't all that old for a ship, but what you will not get is all the bells and whistles of a newer ship. I think you will love the experience; there is nothing like a first anything, including cruise. Of course the poster before me was referring to a ship with the same name that was leased by NCL for about a year. It has nothing to do with the Star.

I do wish when someone states they were disappointed in a particular ship they would give the reasons. This type of comment is unfair to everyone. As for the Spirit, we have cruised her twice and I have no problems with the ship. After 27 cruises I think i can pretty well judge good versus not good, but cruising is subjective. What one finds not acceptable, someone else loves. The Spirit, like the Star is a very popular ship, even though they are both a little smaller than some ships.
Nita

Last edited by nmnita; July 23rd, 2011 at 10:16 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:41 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Of course the poster before me was referring to a ship with the same name that was leased by NCL for about a year. It has nothing to do with the Star.
Again, I was very clear in my posting to the OP so your comments are redundant.

I'm sure the OP does not need you to explain to her what I made abundantly clear in my post.

We all have a right to our own opinion and I will continue to post my POV on the good, bad and the ugly anytime I see fit including NCL considering the fact, I too, am an experienced cruiser with 27 cruises to date myself.

Quit playing the NCL police and get over the fact that not everyone is going to like NCL as much as you do.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&B View Post
Again, I was very clear in my posting to the OP so your comments are redundant.
I'm sure the OP does not need you to explain to her what I made abundantly clear in my post.
I don't see that Nita did anything but agree with you .

We all have a right to our own opinion and I will continue to post my POV on the good, bad and the ugly anytime I see fit including NCL considering the fact, I too, am an experienced cruiser with 27 cruises to date myself.

That's great, but the only "opinion" I see is that your Nanny was ill and you had to take care of her and your baby. I didn't see that you had a problem with NCL or the ship?

Quit playing the NCL police and get over the fact that not everyone is going to like NCL as much as you do. After a long time here, I can tell you that, while Nita loves NCL, she'll also post the "bad stuff".

Beth
JMHO,

Fern

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old July 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
I don't see that Nita did anything but agree with you
Make no mistake, these were jabs in reference to my post and it isn't the first time she's done it. I don't care how long someone has been on a board, everyone deserves the right to voice their opinion and share what they care to share without feeling attacked for it by a third party. How about just responding to the original poster rather than nit-pick others posts/opinions.

Beth
Enchanted Seas
Enchanted Isle x4

Seawind
Seawind Crown
Celebrity
Horizon
Carnival
Celebration x5
Festivale
Fascination
Inspiration
Conquest x2
Elation- PLATINUM

Magic x2
Norwegian
Sea x3
Star
Dream
Spirit

Need some cruise help?

Need some cruise help?
Old July 25th, 2011, 12:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you EVERYONE for your replies!!
Old July 25th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCruiser12 View Post
Thank you EVERYONE for your replies!!
Bless your heart! I appreciate you not getting caught up in the "difference's" being posted. I"d bet you didn't have any idea that would happen when you posted ?

Thank YOU for being able to sort out post's! Hope you have a wonderful cruise !

Also, congratulations to you and best wishes to your financee'! I hope you'll come back and post a review of your honeymoon cruise.

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 3rd, 2011, 03:29 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Send a message via MSN to napamigy

we haved cruised on the star 3 times. we loved the the star before they converted the spinaker lounge into rooms.. we will not cruise the star again after the conversion primarly because we would reserve an inside room then use the public areas.. the star no no longer has any public areas that are not exposed to the weather an have a view of the outside area.. if the weather is bad you have no place to go anymore.... unless you purchase a spa pass. we loved the star..but will avoid it in the future.. it had a really great spa in the front of the ship.. but that will not keep us on the Star
Old September 11th, 2011, 09:33 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Go for it, no worries

I took the Star a month ago to Alaska, the first cruise of my life. I was totally happy, impressed. Befriend the "grunts" who work so hard, you'll be rewarded big time with excellent service. As for no more public rooms with outside views? Ahem, it's your honeymoon.

BTW, you get to go on the Star because it's being repositioned off the Alaska run. Lucky you. And food? I'm such a dum-dum it took me three days and an Indian doctor and his wife to discover the Indian vegetarian section! Last day at sea I was eating Indian for breakfast, blazing sunny day, counting my blessings.

My daughter got engaged two weeks ago. Now I'm thinking...:-D