Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Peter Max to Paint Norwegian Breakaway's Hull

Norwegian Cruise Line announced today thatpop icon and America’s most popular living artist, Peter Max, has been commissioned to paint the signature hull artwork for the line’s newest ship, Norwegian Breakaway, scheduled for delivery in April 2013. This is the first time Norwegian has asked a well-known artist to paint the hull artwork on one of its ships. The company also announced today that the ship will homeport year-round in Max’s hometown, New York City.

“Since Norwegian Breakaway will be making her home in New York, we felt it was fitting to ask the artist best associated with New York, Mr. Peter Max, to paint the ship’s hull,” said Kevin Sheehan, Norwegian Cruise Line’s chief executive officer. “I am a huge fan of his work and know that the art he creates for Norwegian Breakaway will make the ship instantly recognizable.”

With paintings on exhibition in hundreds of museums and galleries worldwide, Peter Max and his vibrant colors have become part of the fabric of contemporary culture. Max has been successively called a Pop Icon, Neo Fauvist, Abstract Expressionist and the United States’ "Painter Laureate."

“I am so excited to be painting the hull of Norwegian Breakaway for Norwegian Cruise Line,” said Peter Max. “I love painting large canvases. I’ve painted a plane and a stage for Woodstock, but never a ship. I love ships and have travelled on them many times in my life. To see my artwork floating on Norwegian Breakaway out at sea will be a dream come true.”

Max has achieved his place in history having painted for various Heads of State, including six U.S. Presidents. From art that appeared on the first U.S. 10-cent stamp bearing the title “Preserve the Environment,” to 235 U.S. Border murals greeting millions of people entering America each year, Peter Max seeks to capture themes of America at its finest in his art.

He has a long-standing career as the preeminent Pop artist in America. His art appears on a Boeing 777 jumbo jet currently flying the skies for Continental; a 600-foot stage for the Woodstock Music Festival; the covers of Verizon's New York City yellow and white pages; and a giant mural unveiled at the 2002 Winter Olympics. Max has also been designated Official Artist of five Super Bowls, six Grammy Awards, World Cup USA, The World Series, the United Nations Earth Summit, and numerous other events. Max was honored at the Jefferson Awards with an award for his lifetime dedication to America, and its charitable causes.
Sponsored Links
Old October 6th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Is this the year's more misleading cruise headline?

Peter is not painting the hull (he doesn't even paint his own paintings) - he is designing the artwork that they will apply to the hull.

And how, exactly, is this going to affect my cruise on Norwegian Breakaway? I guess I will be able to admire it, when I am not on the ship.

Hey, I like Peter Max's work. I think he is "iconic." I am just a little perplexed about the things NCL thinks we care about in a cruise ship these days.
Old October 6th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Peter Max to Paint Norwegian Breakaway's Hull
All by himself?

How big are his brushes?

(Sorry... couldn't help myself....)

Quote:
Hey, I like Peter Max's work. I think he is "iconic." I am just a little perplexed about the things NCL thinks we care about in a cruise ship these days.
I think it's more a matter of "well we'll have to pay someone to do it... why not this guy?"

Personally I find the Norwegian hulls cool looking... definitely a signature style. Carnival has the whale-tail, Holland America has the navy hulls, Princess has the shopping cart handles, Costa has the yellow funnels, etc. Norwegian's hulls are bright and easily distinguishable, and from what I've seen on Google, this Peter Max guy's art fits the bill.

Old October 6th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have never been a fan of the painted hulls, and, with my last name, being Pearl, the NCL Pearl's, pearls, should make me happy, but, not so much....

That being said, I have always appreciated Peter Max's esthetic,and, I look forward to seeing the new ship, with the ugly name, but, interesting hull artwork.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator