Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 7th, 2011, 01:42 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st time cruiser on Norwegian Epic

Hi just booked the epic for 3rd June 2012, are honeymoon never been on a cruise before, so well looking forward to it. Just looking for some tips to do on board & off. Is it best paying tips before going on? Also I dint get the paying restaurants were it's says 10/15/20$ per person extra, is that just to eat there then you pay for the food or is that what you pay? Am on deck 8044 if anybody been close to that cabin, is it any good!! Is it a good ship & any help of anybody would be great. Thanks for anybody's help, can't edit for nxt ye now.
Thanks Jay.
Sponsored Links
Old October 7th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk-Jay View Post
Hi just booked the epic for 3rd June 2012, are honeymoon never been on a cruise before, so well looking forward to it. Just looking for some tips to do on board & off. Is it best paying tips before going on? Also I dint get the paying restaurants were it's says 10/15/20$ per person extra, is that just to eat there then you pay for the food or is that what you pay? Am on deck 8044 if anybody been close to that cabin, is it any good!! Is it a good ship & any help of anybody would be great. Thanks for anybody's help, can't edit for nxt ye now.
Thanks Jay.
Congratulations on your first cruise. I believe you will love the Epic. It has some of the best entertainment and dining you will find on any ship. I sailed her last year and was very impressed with the dining and entertainment. The Blue Man Group and Legends were very enjoyable. I also enjoyed the Murder Mystery Lunch. Cirque wasn't too enjoyable for me but that was probably more a matter of personal taste rather than the show.

The price you pay for the additional charge restaurants is includes the food. If it's $25 that's the price for whatever you order. You will pay extra for wine or alcoholic drinks.

The "free" restaurants are quite good and I think you'll be happy with them but I strongly suggest that you try two or three of the additional charge restaurants. Moderno, Cagney's and the Asian restaurants were my favorites. O'Sheehans Pub, no additional charge for food, was also a REAL favorite for lunch and breakfast.

When you want to pay the gratuities is up to you. Do you want your final bill a little less? If you do then pre-pay them. It's really up to you.

I do have to admit that I was not a fan of the cabins. Many people love them but I did not like the layout and the "wave" design gave me the feeling of it being cramped. We did have three adults in the cabin and it would have been less "cramped" with two but I've done three in a cabin before with no problem. By no means are the cabins a major issue and I would not worry about it. I will admit I am REALLY picky about cabin space and what many folks find acceptable is far too small for my liking.

You will have a great time and the biggest problems you will have is figuring out what activity you want to do, what show you want to see and where you want to eat.

Take care and enjoy Epic,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Your first cruise...yay you! We were on the Halloween cruise last fall. You will enjoy your first cruise on this ship.

You will have the ability about 2 months before you sail to select your entertainment and alternative dining options on line. We really enjoyed Shanghai and the Noodle Bar, also, O' Sheehans, has the best chicken fingers in the world,and the food is just delish....and free! Moderno, is where meatlovers go to feast!

After you board, this ship will give you the option to drop off your carry on, once you board..thios way you are not shlepping it when you go upstairs to the Lido, to have lunch,and to then explore the ship.

Which itineraery are you doing?

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 7th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You will have a GREAT cruise. The detractors are people who compare ships, but if its your first cruise you won't be thinking about that, so just enjoy the experience. Epic is a cool ship in many ways...

My recommendation...

DO book your show reservations online well before the cruise (right away), so you can get the best showtimes. All the best ones are free.

DO see the Slam Allen band and Howl at the Moon. If you pick a dining room use the one with a stage (the aft one) - they have the Legends at Sea shows in there which are great.

The Brazilian restaurant (sorry, name escapes me) is the best. If you are going to pay extra do it there. Le Bistro was so-so on Epic.

I didn't care for the Cirque Dreams & Dinner show, but if you try it, sit as close to the action as possible.

You MUST see Blue Man group. Go twice if you can, it is always different.

Oh - find all the lightswitches in your cabin during the day. By nighttime it is too late, you'll never see them.
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Moderno is the churhasscaria (Brasilian). I also echo pre-booking Blue Man Group, Legends in Concert and Cirque.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 7th, 2011, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I think we will see a new Legends Group this cruise...It was a great show!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 8th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thanks for the replys, well looking forward to nxt yr now. Always fancied blue man from when been Vegas so free even better. Were going west med are the excursions worth it. Don't want 2 get lost & miss boat!! How much are the drinks on board?
Thanks Jay.