Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 28th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Admiral

Default Deaths on Norwegian Dawn

On the "other" board there's mention of 2 death on the ship. One 23 Y.O. and one 67.
Sponsored Links
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I read that also! I wonder what happened?
Old October 28th, 2011, 12:44 PM
Admiral

A Boston paper is saying it was likely a medical condition for the lady. Nothing yet on the young man. Both were traveling with family, and deaths non related to each other.
Old October 28th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Not sure why this even made my internet news feed. Basically two unrelated people died while on vacation. Perhaps there's more to the 23 year old's death (OD, foul play, alchohol poisoning, etc), but there was no reason to make it a feature article unless details come out making it newsworthy. From the comments under the feed I browsed it is not at all uncommon to have one or more passenger deaths, but its not something cruisers or cruise lines choose to dwell on. Considering the average age on some cruises, and the general health of the cruising population, it would be more of a story if nobody ever passed away on a cruise, particularly the long routes where the average age pushes 70.

I'm pretty sure we lost a passenger in route to Hawaii last year, but its not like they announce it over the intercom or put it in the daily CD show. Private matter for the family. Not making light of it, but death is just a part of life... happens everywhere. Shouldn't be a black mark against the cruising industry.
Old October 28th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
Not sure why this even made my internet news feed. Basically two unrelated people died while on vacation. Perhaps there's more to the 23 year old's death (OD, foul play, alchohol poisoning, etc), but there was no reason to make it a feature article unless details come out making it newsworthy. From the comments under the feed I browsed it is not at all uncommon to have one or more passenger deaths, but its not something cruisers or cruise lines choose to dwell on. Considering the average age on some cruises, and the general health of the cruising population, it would be more of a story if nobody ever passed away on a cruise, particularly the long routes where the average age pushes 70.

I'm pretty sure we lost a passenger in route to Hawaii last year, but its not like they announce it over the intercom or put it in the daily CD show. Private matter for the family. Not making light of it, but death is just a part of life... happens everywhere. Shouldn't be a black mark against the cruising industry.
How true, the news makes it an "event" as if no one ever died before. It just happened to be on a ship. Same for Noro, it's everywhere, but it sure hits the news from a ship.
Old October 28th, 2011, 04:15 PM
Admiral

Could have sworn I commented on this, not another disappeared post..anyway what I thought I posted was ...on our last long cruise six died it was rumoured, 'flu epidemic.
Old October 28th, 2011, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Well, since the Dawn docks in Boston, this made our news. In an interview with two passengers, one said, well in any city of 4,000 people, you have deaths..why shouldn't it be the same on a ship?

The other passenger, said she was surprised, and it was frightening. Huh??? Frightening is not a word I would put forth, with 2 natural deaths on board.

There are usually one or possibly "multpile" deaths on every cruise, and, you never hear about it, unless you dined in the same area, or knew someone who knew someone.....not headline news.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 28th, 2011, 10:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Could have sworn I commented on this, not another disappeared post..anyway what I thought I posted was ...on our last long cruise six died it was rumoured, 'flu epidemic.
John, your post was actually in a second thread, same topic, started today by Hockeynut...
Old October 29th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Admiral

Default Deaths on the ncl dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Well, since the Dawn docks in Boston, this made our news. In an interview with two passengers, one said, well in any city of 4,000 people, you have deaths..why shouldn't it be the same on a ship?

The other passenger, said she was surprised, and it was frightening. Huh??? Frightening is not a word I would put forth, with 2 natural deaths on board.

There are usually one or possibly "multpile" deaths on every cruise, and, you never hear about it, unless you dined in the same area, or knew someone who knew someone.....not headline news.
Wonder if it were another line rather than NCL who berths anywhere else that the deaths would have been mentioned, i.e. Florida. (with an elderly population). The 67 year old woman from Tiverton, R.I. died from what I've read of multiple medical problems.. The young person seemed to have died so far from natural causes.. Both were traveling with their families. Sad for the families, but on the cruise boards it just seems to be sideways snipe at that particular line.

As a P.S. Trip...it's snowing like crazy here right now...:
Old October 29th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I also heard the headline today say, Mystery deaths at sea! C'mon now, how crazy is that I did hear one person had epilepsy...who knows though. The young man was from New Hampshire.

Sandra, tight now....6:30, we have rain.,and winds....that may not last long..Just think, we can use our pumpkins as a head on a snowman!!! OY!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old October 29th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

We're not far off newspapers picking some names from their obituary pages and writing stories saying "they were thinking about taking a cruise"

Of course, there's those who run to the internet to post it... as though that might help make it nefarious.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old October 31st, 2011, 09:18 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
I also heard the headline today say, Mystery deaths at sea! C'mon now, how crazy is that I did hear one person had epilepsy...who knows though. The young man was from New Hampshire.

Sandra, tight now....6:30, we have rain.,and winds....that may not last long..Just think, we can use our pumpkins as a head on a snowman!!! OY!
You may have had rain and wind....we were without heat, electricity until just 9:00 P.M. tonight!!!! What came in the mail that I read with a flashlight..Cruise Travel
Old November 17th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Let everybody say "Amen".

Very well said ... Thank you!
Old November 30th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

On any given week, there are 250,000 to 300,000 people cruising worldwide. The mortality rate of the USA is 8.38 per 1000.

It is only a fact of life that people die on cruise ships. All ships have morgues for this purpose. All crews train for pax deaths and get practical experience at this job almost EVERY WEEK.
My first Alaska cruise there was AT LEAST one body removed at EVERY port of call.
Old January 9th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Familiar Face

If I could choose it, CRUISING would be MY way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! And even have the funeral at sea (ie. no charge for cremation, etc etc) and if the family would have been present, even the "party" ie. food, would be the best that it could ever be. What a great idea.