Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 14th, 2011, 02:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Dress code

How many men wear shorts to dinner on NCL?
What do women wear?
Sponsored Links
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to Iamchip

I've worn shorts before to dinner but shorts wouldn't work for a formal night.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Admiral

I think they are quite relaxed about dress, but not sure about shorts.
Old November 14th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In the two main dining rooms, I would think not, but, in the alternative venues, you see it .

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 14th, 2011, 09:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

On this and other sites, I find mention of "no shorts' even a mention of "formal Night". How does this conflicting info jibe with NCL's constant "FREESTYLE" all casual advertising?
On NCL's website, I can find NO dress code, nor any restriction against shorts, at any time. I have had individuals say, NO SHORTS, but not the cruse line itself.
Please understand, on cruiselines that have a dress code and a real Formal Night. I adhere to the dress code and I own a tux and take it along for the formal dinners.
So is NCL truly "Freestyle Casual" or is that advertising mumbo-jumbo?
Old November 14th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Admiral

Dress code arguments have been a hot topic issue on the boards for years. With NCL, there is just an easier attitude, others are loosening up as well. Within the ship, I saw ripped torn jeans, next to people in cocktail clothes. These are the guidelines.

When it comes to what to wear, you can go resort casual or get decked-out and look your best - it’s your call. That’s the freedom of Freestyle Cruising. We even have special “Dress-Up or Not Night.” It’s the perfect opportunity to get your portrait taken with your family, that special someone or even with the ship’s Captain.
Dress cruise casual anytime during the day, in the buffet and in most specialty restaurants.
For women, it includes summer and casual dresses, skirts, regular or capri pants, shorts, jeans and tops. Khakis, jeans, shorts and casual shirts are fine for men. Swimwear is acceptable at the buffet and outdoor restaurant, but a shirt or a cover-up and footwear are required. Cruise casual is also allowed day and night on embarkation day.

Wear smart casual if you are eating dinner in the aft main dining room (our more formal dining room) and in Le Bistro on cruises over longer than five days. For women, it includes slacks or jeans, dresses, skirts and tops. For men, it’s jeans or slacks with a collared shirt and closed-toed shoes. Traditional Bermuda shorts along with long socks, loafers and a blazer are all acceptable on a Bermuda cruise.

We want you to be comfortable, but tank tops for men, flip flops, baseball caps, visors and jeans that are overly faded, with holes or tears and worn below the hips are not permitted in main dining rooms or specialty restaurants. Kids 12 and under are welcome to wear nice shorts in all our restaurants. You may want to pack a sweater too—air conditioning can be chilly.

Old November 15th, 2011, 07:38 AM
Admiral

you may see shorts early in the evening, but mostly you will see jeans and docker type of pants. Of course at the buffet it is different. Do what makes you happy, just don't be surprised if you do get a few dirty looks. Make sure you don't try and wear shorts in dining rooms like Le Bistro...It is still a hit or miss as to whether shorts are allowed, but it seems to be pretty standard, they are. You talk about Freestyle, well look at it this way: there is a limit to what the word "freestyle" means. It doesn't be totally do whatever you want at all time without consideration to others.

NIta

Last edited by nmnita; November 15th, 2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
you may see shorts early in the evening, but mostly you will see jeans and docker type of pants. Of course at the buffet it is different. Do what makes you happy, just don't be surprised if you do get a few dirty looks. Make sure you don't try and wear shorts in dining rooms like Le Bistro...It is still a hit or miss as to whether shorts are allowed, but it seems to be pretty standard, they are. You talk about Freestyle, well look at it this way: there is a limit to what the word "freestyle" means. It doesn't be totally do whatever you want at all time without consideration to others.

NIta
As stated above, I adhere to dress codes. But anyone giving me a dirty look is displaying their own problem, not mine. And my wearing or not wearing of shorts if they are not verboten, has nothing to do with consideration of any others.
Wearing shorts, or any inappropriate clothing to a venue where other dress is indicated is rude. But wearing shorts where they are NOT contraindicated, is not rude, or inconsiderate.

But I'm not trying to display my "maverick" independence, I'm trying to find the REAL story on NCL's dress code. I have a wife that would joyously eviscerate me if I gave her information that caused her to be dressed inapproiately.
Old November 15th, 2011, 02:22 PM
Admiral

Figure, that, unless you walk in naked with a tie, you're good

Old November 15th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Admiral

Don't know why anyone would want to wear shorts to dinner anyway...note In say "dinner," not just eating in the evening.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:15 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
Don't know why anyone would want to wear shorts to dinner anyway...note In say "dinner," not just eating in the evening.
This is cruise # 53 for us. We are quite familiar with cruise line dining rooms. But have not used NCL in many years. I printed out the post above from Trip and the wife said. "This doesn't help a bit." We have dined in many restaurants much finer than cruise ship banquet style "dining." That's is not a knock on cruise ship food, we love cruising, 53 cruises should prove that, but cruise ship dining rooms are a very far cry from "fine dining." And we live in Florida and shorts are fine just about everywhere, certainly in restaurants much better than cruise ship dining rooms.
On Cunard, I wouldn't even consider shorts, nor on Princess or HAL or X. Not even on RCL, and I still take my tux on Carnival. But NCL has made a big deal of their Freestyle CASUAL cruising. In Florida, casual means NO thought about long pants. The collared shirt is not a problem, I don't own a shirt without a collar. ZERO T-Shirts.
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Admiral

I suppose if you live in Florida dining in shorts is more "normal" than here in the UK, didn't think of it that way...
Old November 15th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Admiral

Dan with your cruising background, from what you said, I think you would look great with your choices. The fact you posted asking, says that.

Basically, what they are asking of us is, that in The aft main dining room,and Le Bistro, we refrain from shorts, as I think we would in a fine reataurant, in Fla, or anywhere.

Last edited by Trip; November 16th, 2011 at 07:01 PM.
Old November 16th, 2011, 02:59 PM
Admiral

From a fellow Floridian....what Trip said. The aft main dining room and Le Bistro are dressier. I would not suggest shorts in either. Otherwise, shorts are fine. There is a second MDR midship that is very casual. Same menu as the aft one. However, double check me by looking at your ship's layout. Have fun!
Marty
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Familiar Face

Boy, you would think asking men to put on slacks and women to wear a dress or a skirt is some sort of medieval torture?!

Out of respect for the other passengers, if you are choosing to eat in one of the formal dining rooms, go resort casual. If you are going to the buffet or Blue Lagoon, wear whatever you want, we never eat there. Lol.

In all seriousness though, really, what does it take for men to throw on a collared or polo shirt and slacks or dockers, and ladies, a simple dress or skirt, a top and comfy or dressy sandals.

That's just this girls opinion.
Personally I love dressing up for dinner whether home or on a ship.