Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Familiar Face

Default docks or tenders in Mediterranean?

Hi- does NCL use docks or tenders on the 12 night Grand Mediterranean Cruise?

Also, are there any ports that you can just walk off the ship and shop or find fun stuff without doing an excursion?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Hotel recommendations for Barcelona and Venice, pre and post cruise?

Thamks all-

Terri
Sponsored Links
Old April 9th, 2012, 10:32 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Share your itinerary with us, so we can better help you...

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:39 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquehtr3 View Post

Also, are there any ports that you can just walk off the ship and shop or find fun stuff without doing an excursion?

Thanks for any ideas!!

Thanks all-

Terri
You will dock at the majority of ports you visit. I'm not sure about the French ports but the others are dock ports where you can walk off the ship.

The best ports for "Doing it on your own" are Venice, Athens and Izmir. In Athens grab a taxi and do a taxi tour of the major sites. In Izmir do the same. If you want to go to Ephesus then you can do that on your own but I suggest a tour because of the distance but Izmir itself is a wonderful place to wander or do a taxi tour.

Places like Livorno and Rome almost require you to do a tour since you are docked quite a ways from the major attractions.

In Barcelona I would suggest the Eurostar Marina, Tryp Apolo, Barcelo Sants hotels. There are many more but these are hotels I've stayed at and they were relatively well priced and close to Las Ramblas and the port. I have to take that back. The Sants is a ways from the port (about 2.5 miles north) but it is right on the main train station and the PERFECT spot if you want to visit other areas. You can also grab the Tourista bus and enjoy the city. It is a HOHO bus that now runs around $30 but it goes all over the city and is convenient and a great way to see a lot in a short time.

I use Priceline and have had good luck. Just yesterday I got the Tryp Apolo for $75. I was hoping for the Eurostar but I stayed in the Tryp in 2007 and it was just fine.

Take care and enjoy the cruise,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 10th, 2012, 03:33 PM
Familiar Face

Default Dock or tender in the Mediterranean

Here's our port schedule:

Norwegian Spirit

Barcelona
Provence (Toulon)
Florence/Pisa (Livorno)
Rome
Naples
Mykonos, Greece
Istanbul, Turkey
Ephesus (Izmir) Turkey
Athens
Venice

We will fly into Barcelona a couple of days early-

We will stay a few days after in Venice.

Is it a better idea to get round trip air to one of those rather than two one ways and then commute to the other?? Train?

Thanks Mike for your good ideas!! This is our first trip here so we welcome any and all comments!

Thanks,

Terri
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:

Thanks for any ideas!!

Thamks all-

Terri
Depends on the ports they stop at .

Ships Sailed:

SS Ithaca , Volendam , Mariner of the Seas (x2) , Veendam , Coral Princess , Island Princess (x3) , Emerald Princess,Sapphire Sapphire (x3),Diamond Princess
Old April 10th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Barcelona

You will dock and you can walk to the heart of town (a long walk, 45 minutes, but colorful) or take a shuttle bus or taxi.

Provence (Toulon)
(I don't know, but I suspect a dock)

Florence/Pisa (Livorno)

You will dock but there is little to see in the immediate area. Do set up a tour of some kind or arrange to get on the train to Florence.

Rome
(same as above - get on a tour to Rome, or take the train)

Naples

You will dock. You can walk around the local area to some shopping. There is a nice Galleria nearby, but Naples is not a "beautiful" city, more industrial. I suggest a tour to Pompeii.

Mykonos, Greece

You will dock, you can then walk or take a taxi to the main part of town.

Istanbul, Turkey

You will dock - but pretty far from the main sights. Take a taxi or arrange a tour to the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, etc.

Ephesus (Izmir) Turkey

You will dock, but the main attractions are the ruins at Ephesus, so you a tour is suggested.

Athens

You will dock in Piraeus and can take a taxi to the Plaka and walk to the Acropolis, or take a tour (which is easier).

Venice

You will dock. Walk to the train station, walk through it and you are on the main canal of Venice. You can walk to St Marks Sq. (takes about an hour) or catch the water bus. Don't take a water taxi anyplace - too expensive. If the ship offers a shuttle to St Marks it is probably worth doing that. I personally just walk it but I know the way very well.
Old April 12th, 2012, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

It really isn't that hard to take the train into Rome if you are willing to do the research ahead of time. We did a podcast on how to do it on your own, but of course, don't do anything you aren't comfortable with. CruizeCast- A Day in Rome

Doing Med ports on your own is kind of my passion, so feel free to PM me with any questions. We have other episodes featuring Venice, Naples and Barcelona as well.
Old April 13th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
Familiar Face

We booked it and look forward to

We had been in Med 08 with Disney Cruise

Naples, Rome are awesome.

Rome is 45 mins away from port. We booked excursion with Disney Jump into External that was good but very pricey.

We are thinking to book excursion for Rome to travel there and diy like on bus off bus?

Naples - We went to Amifia Drive and Sorrento that was really beautiful. I would love go back there again.

I hope someone write trip report this year.

Scottishwee35

Next Cruise - Magic Disney Cruise - 30th July 2010 for 8 days

2011 - Royal Carribbean Freedom of the Seas - 10 April for my special birthday (first time on RC)

DWC - 22 July 2013 - NCL Spirit
Old April 21st, 2012, 04:18 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Here's our port schedule:

Norwegian Spirit

Barcelona
Provence (Toulon)
Florence/Pisa (Livorno)
Rome
Naples
Mykonos, Greece
Istanbul, Turkey
Ephesus (Izmir) Turkey
Athens
Venice

We will fly into Barcelona a couple of days early-

We will stay a few days after in Venice.

Is it a better idea to get round trip air to one of those rather than two one ways and then commute to the other?? Train?

Thanks Mike for your good ideas!! This is our first trip here so we welcome any and all comments!

Thanks,

Terri
When are you going ?

We are going next year July 2013

2011 - Royal Carribbean Freedom of the Seas - 10 April for my special birthday (first time on RC)

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:13 PM
Familiar Face

We are going this September..can't wait!
Old April 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Familiar Face

hope you write trip report or tell me about it ... I look forward to hear from you okay...

Old April 23rd, 2012, 06:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Barcelona

You will dock and you can walk to the heart of town (a long walk, 45 minutes, but colorful) or take a shuttle bus or taxi.

Provence (Toulon)

Florence/Pisa (Livorno)

You will dock but there is little to see in the immediate area. Do set up a tour of some kind or arrange to get on the train to Florence.

Rome

Naples

You will dock. You can walk around the local area to some shopping. There is a nice Galleria nearby, but Naples is not a "beautiful" city, more industrial. I suggest a tour to Pompeii.

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

You will dock - but pretty far from the main sights. Take a taxi or arrange a tour to the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, etc.

Ephesus (Izmir) Turkey

You will dock, but the main attractions are the ruins at Ephesus, so you a tour is suggested.

Athens

You will dock in Piraeus and can take a taxi to the Plaka and walk to the Acropolis, or take a tour (which is easier).

Venice

You will dock. Walk to the train station, walk through it and you are on the main canal of Venice. You can walk to St Marks Sq. (takes about an hour) or catch the water bus. Don't take a water taxi anyplace - too expensive. If the ship offers a shuttle to St Marks it is probably worth doing that. I personally just walk it but I know the way very well.
Excellent & helpful...I may steal this...
Old April 26th, 2012, 09:59 AM
Welcome Newcomer

My wife and I also plan to take the NCL Grand Med in late Sept.

Do you have any links that you could share about either the ship, ports or general dos and do nots for this cruise?

Did you notice the recent $500 air credit from NCL for the early Sept sailing? We are planning for late Sept so we unfortunately could not benefit from the credit. Hope you did....
Old April 26th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjgasner View Post
My wife and I also plan to take the NCL Grand Med in late Sept.

Do you have any links that you could share about either the ship, ports or general dos and do nots for this cruise?

Did you notice the recent $500 air credit from NCL for the early Sept sailing? We are planning for late Sept so we unfortunately could not benefit from the credit. Hope you did....
No I didn't know about it about 500 air credit from NCL?

Old May 7th, 2012, 12:49 PM
Welcome Newcomer

i can not speak for ncl or that cruise but i have been to the med and its a nice cruise mostly tenders on one island our boat was used to block the waves so it was mostly smooth sailing into port also in turkey there was only dock for 1 ship so they dropped us off and went to anchor
depending on the port but unless things changed it will still be tenders on most islands
richard in fort Lauderdale
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:55 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Barcelona

Provence (Toulon)

Florence/Pisa (Livorno)

Rome

Naples

Mykonos, Greece

Istanbul, Turkey

Ephesus (Izmir) Turkey

Athens

Venice

Great info-we are going on this cruise June 2013!
Old June 1st, 2012, 10:25 AM
Familiar Face

Great, we are going on July with Deaf World Cruise same place 12 days.

Perhaps you let me know after your trip.

Scottishwee35

Old June 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
Admiral

The only one I disagree with Paul on is Istanbul. The Tram is a very short walk from the ship and takes you to the sites..probably a lot quicker than a cab as traffic is horrendous.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old June 1st, 2012, 02:58 PM
Familiar Face

I was reading another forum from different internet. I wonder if I copy it and show you: -

Hi everyone! It's Kenneth Chan from the ship. (My first post here!)

It was such a pleasure to meet everyone in the Cruise Critic community onboard. Steph and I had a great time getting to know you and traveling about the Mediterranean. And thank you so much for all of your friendship and support of my photography!

Please feel free to drop me a line, especially if you'd like a copy of the group photo we took (or any other photo(s) I took on the trip). I'd love to stay in touch. For starters, I've posted some of my favorite photos from the trip here (many of them made it to the slideshow you might have seen onboard):

Mediterranean Vacation 2012 | Facebook

Scottishwee35

Old June 1st, 2012, 03:00 PM
Familiar Face

Hi

I asked the person that he return back from Med last month. Here is his reply:

scottishwee35, thanks for checking out my photos! Can you clarify what you mean by "how far to see interior of Hagia Sophia"? Did you mean how did we get there from the dock and how long did it take? Or do you mean how far did I need to stand back to try to capture the grandeur of the interior? =]

For the first question, I will tell you that we managed on our own once we got off the ship. We walked as well as rode a tram. I don't remember how long it took -- maybe an hour? The lines for admission were not long in May. And I think we enjoyed about 45-60 minutes there. For the second question, I photographed the interior with a 16mm ultra-wide-angle lens, as I like to do for many interior spaces to reveal the timeless majesty of the places I visit!

Scottishwee35

Old June 1st, 2012, 03:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
The only one I disagree with Paul on is Istanbul. The Tram is a very short walk from the ship and takes you to the sites..probably a lot quicker than a cab as traffic is horrendous.
Thank you Tracky, I did not know about a tram.

I assume you mean something like a local "cable car" public transit.

I think those are fun but it is usually a bit intimidating to anyone (me included) to take one, especially in a foreign country, for fear that I will end up someplace I didn't expect to go. My worst fear is getting on an express going the wrong direction and (for example) ending up in Coney Island when I meant to go to the Mueseum of Natural History.

(see, that can happen if you get on the F-train in NY going the wrong direction - and it is just a matter of which staircase you go down and accidentally getting on an express instead of a local).

But public transportation is great as long as you are sure of what you are doing. But when I have to be back on a ship at 6:00 pm, I tend to favor cabs.

Just sayin' - not disagreeing.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:15 PM
Admiral

Don't see it as a disagreement at all. From what I understand though, a good chunk of the ship heads that way so just follow the crowds and I think the ship is at the end of the line, so there is no going the other way. I have a link (think at home) to a pictoral of taking the tram. I'll see if I can find it. We are definitely doing Istanbul on our own.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackypup View Post
Don't see it as a disagreement at all. From what I understand though, a good chunk of the ship heads that way so just follow the crowds and I think the ship is at the end of the line, so there is no going the other way. I have a link (think at home) to a pictoral of taking the tram. I'll see if I can find it. We are definitely doing Istanbul on our own.
Yup, I hjaven't been to Istanbul since about 1998 - and that year I went three times. (it was the big trend that year).

It is amazing how savvy cruisers have become over the years - especially when it comes to taking tours on your own.
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:29 PM
Admiral

Taking the Tram in Istanbul - Istanbul - IgoUgo - koshkha

Here's a fairly decent overview of taking the tram. It's not the one I was thinking of that actually shows you close up of the buttons of the machine

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It is amazing how savvy cruisers have become over the years - especially when it comes to taking tours on your own.
I know! We so rarely book ship's excursions anymore. Weird compared to how we started out but I just guess your comfort level increases everytime you travel and the internet is a marvellous tool for independent touring.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old June 1st, 2012, 04:16 PM
Admiral

Default Istanbul Hoho Buses

The Hoho bus has stops near the port.

The best way of getting round the old town is WALK.

Annie