Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Got to hand it to NCL

Boarded the Norwegian Spirit on Sunday in Barcelona. Everything's been really great, except the weather. The food surpassed many fancy restaurants (in both taste and prestige ), and I've developed a new respect for cruise ship dancers after the show they put on despite the rough atlantic waters last night.

There were a few problems between NCL and my agent regarding the booking, and I had to wait a while to embark. As a result, I got upgraded from an inside to an ocean view, and found a bottle of wine in my cabin next morning complements of the embarkation officer. Thought it was a really nice gesture.

The only qualm I have with NCL is 75c/min internet. If it costs them that much that they need to charge that much for it to be viable, they'd need to find some drasticly cheaper networking.

Having that said, I don't really have much to compare them to; on the only other ship I've ever been on (Costa Concordia), the Captain evidently decided that sailing the ship into Giglio Island a few hours after I boarded would be a good idea, so he went ahead and did that. Things are going much better this time around.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Captain

That's normal for internet at sea since it's through a satellite network that everyone on the ship and everyone using the same satellite has to share. You can buy a bucket of minutes that will save if you plan to use it often. If you want to save just visit a coffee shop in port that has free wifi.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old March 6th, 2013, 01:45 PM
Cruise Maniac

Yeah, that was just to tide over until I got to the next port. I made use of a medical disembarkation, and the resulting proximity to Almaria to get on to the Spanish Vodafone network, to keep me going.
Old March 6th, 2013, 03:42 PM
Administrator
Admiral

NCL is one of my favorite cruise lines and the reasons are the diverse restaurants and the entertainment.

I love Freestyle, even though all cruise lines are copying it in one form or another. It is what kept us cruising a number of years ago. We were burnt out and feeling overwhelmed by a perceived herd mentality and were seriously looking at other vacation options. NCL stopped us from straying and with the other cruise lines following suit we are now, once again, happy cruisers.

I am glad you are enjoying yourself. I am looking at the Sun for an Alaska cruise this Fall.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old March 6th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Arion, nice to see you again,and glad your sense of humor is intact. I pmed you a while ago to see how you were faring, & glad to see you are doing well.

Is this your first cruise since the Concordia? I enjoy NCL,and on the Epic, the noodle bar,and Shanghai options, were my favorite.

Please share mores stories as you cruise along!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 7th, 2013, 07:18 AM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry Trip; I must have missed that in your PM. I would consider this my first cruise ever. I don't really count the Concordia since it was only for a few hours most of which I was asleep for.

I'm just finishing off a beer in Tenerife right now. I prefer only drinking alcohol when either its free, or I can pay with cash.
Old March 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Congratulations Arion on your willingness to get back on the pony and ride!!!

Actually, you are quite different from the so commonly cited people who were even just on Carnival Triumph as a first cruise and said they would never cruise again.

So - GOOD FOR YOU! And thanks so much for reporting in.
Old March 7th, 2013, 05:37 PM
Familiar Face

Arion...I am so sorry to hear about your Costa experience and so glad you made it through with such a great attitude. I can only imagine, but I am sure that the experience has only added to your personal strength.

NCL is a great company and we have only had positive experiences with them. Things happen from time to time, but thyey are always quick to address any issues.

Happy sails to you!

Celebrity Summit 2002
NCL Spirit 2006
NCL Pearl 2009
NCL Epic 2011
NCL Pearl 2012
NCL Breakaway 2013
NCL Breakaway 2014 (Wedding Cruise)
Old March 10th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachmonkey View Post
Arion...I am so sorry to hear about your Costa experience and so glad you made it through with such a great attitude. I can only imagine, but I am sure that the experience has only added to your personal strength.
Thanks Beachmonkey. I'm not sure if it added anything personal strength wise, but I think I certainly think I know myself a little better. I kept myself a little more prepared throughout the cruise this time; I kept my phone charged, and my passport in a waterproof Ziploc bag, and kept them both on me while at sea.

I'm not sure I'd have booked if I'd known that on NCL, the corresponding deck numbers are 3 below where they'd been on Costa. On Costa Deck 4 was the muster station, while on NCL, its almost sea level(and where my cabin was). This was pretty scary on the first few rough Atlantic night's.

Quote:
NCL is a great company and we have only had positive experiences with them. Things happen from time to time, but they are always quick to address any issues.
Yeah, things happen. I'd made a short notice booking (day before), and I wasn't too surprised. When they do happen however, you just have to decide whether or not you're going to let it ruin your holiday.
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:35 AM
Familiar Face

Arion, I am a 9/11 survivor (74th floor of the South Tower). While every experience is different, I am betting you will be surprised by the way it changes you. Being prepared, more cautious, etc is all easy to see now ( I work on the second floor of a building in Idaho...how is that for a change!). Some of the changes don't manifest until you live with the memory a bit longer.

Celebrity Summit 2002
NCL Spirit 2006
NCL Pearl 2009
NCL Epic 2011
NCL Pearl 2012
NCL Breakaway 2013
NCL Breakaway 2014 (Wedding Cruise)