Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Familiar Face

Default NCL Epic and Breakaway Cruise Ship Experiences

Was wondering how people traveling solo found Norwegian Cruise Lines Epic and Breakaway cruise ships.

Were the studio cabins well booked? Were most of the people in the studio cabins actually traveling solo or were they people traveling with others who wanted their own cabins? What is the average age of those in the studio cabins? What is the male - female ratio of those in the studio cabins? What is the educational level those in the studio cabins.

Did you enjoy the cruise, how did you experience the cruise to be, how did these cruises compare with other cruises?

Last edited by LikeToCruiseAgain; July 26th, 2013 at 01:25 AM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Old August 8th, 2013, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have sailed in the studio staterooms on Epic twice and I think they are the best thing for solo cruisers ever invented.

They make it easy to find other solo cruisers - so you have people to meet & mingle with throughout your cruise.

NO other cruise line does that - and its such a simple thing, but something they just don't bother to do.
Old August 24th, 2013, 03:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

I recently booked a studio room for a January 2013 sailing on Epic (and am actually sailing solo). Would love to know more about the general makeup of the other "solo" passengers. I am a 32-year-old female. Will I find folks to hang out with? I'm not picky!
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I see you have already sailed in January 2013, but for those who haven't, I hope you search out some of the cruise reviews written by single cruisers, many of them who stayed in the studio cabins.

From what I have read, these cabins sell out very quickly. There is a solo gathering each night pre dinner in the solo lounge where you can meet others. I would also encourage you to sign up for your roll call for your particular sailing and attend the Meet and Greet, usually on the first sea day.

Someone asked about the male to female ratio and the education level. Not sure if this information is available anywhere, but from the reviews I have read, I did not recall them being primarily from males or females. But if I had to guess, I'd say these cabins would be especially appealing to women who like to travel, but feel a little insecure about it. Of the reviews I have read, most of the solo cabin cruisers seem to be traveling alone. As far as education level, from the ones I recall, I would guess thirty something professionals. Not young spring breaker party animals if that is what you are concerned about. They will be the ones packed 4 or 5 to a cabin to save money.
Old September 28th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I have sailed in the solo cabins (actually called Studio Staterooms) twice and I would guess the average age is high 40s - both men & women. Definitely not all are there to "hook up," just the opposite. Most of them are very bright and well educated and just enjoy having some company on a cruise (who wouldn't prefer that?).

I personally would say more attractive women than men do it, because single men are not so likely to think of a cruise as a vacation (they would camp, hunt, fish, drive, etc). So, there are usually a good number of women but do not expect them to be "easy". In fact, although they are friendly I think a lot of them think of the cruise "hooking up" mentality as a bit cliche.

But after a few drinks, a moonlit night, a single cabin with "mood lighting" - who knows?