Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 29th, 2014, 01:49 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Worried we made wrong choice with Norwegian Getaway

We booked a cruise in June on the Geteway and worried it was the wrong cruise line. There are not many reviews on the Geteway so I looked at reviews on its sister ship - Breakaway. They are not good on cruise critic! Any feedback would be great if you have traveled on either ship. I have been on Celebrity and a short 3 day with NCL. I keep hearing that it is very crowded, food is horrible, staff is horrible. Basically, nothing positive.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old January 29th, 2014, 04:09 AM
Captain

NCL is not my favorite line as the staff don't seem to care much and the food edible of course but not impressive. Celebrity in on another level in those regards. I did spend 3 weeks on the NCL Epic so it's all about making the best of things; the ports were great, the weather was gorgeous, the ship has lots of things to do like the breakaway.

How did you like your NCL trip vs the Celebrity experience? If you enjoyed both equally then don't worry. Personally if both lines are going where I want it's not a choice for me but if NCL goes somewhere Celebrity doesn't I would consider it.

11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries

Next cruise: None scheduled
PM me if you need a cruisemate for any Europe, transatlantic, or Panama Canal cruises
Date, ship, cost pp
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Welcome Newcomer

We picked NCL Getaway because it is new. Hasn't even sailed yet! We are taking a 10 year old and a 19 year old. Need slides and lots of things to do. Celebrity is by far much better but really does not have much for kids to do. I also looked at RC - Allure but no slides. It does have the surf simulator. I have just read so many bad reviews about NCL that it worries me.
Old January 29th, 2014, 09:03 AM
Admiral

There aren't any reviews of the Getaway because the ship really hasn't started revenue service yet. With the exception of it's transatlantic cruise to NY it has been in debut mode with free overnight cruises for agents and travel writers. It's first cruise at it's homeport of Miami is February 8, and I'll be aboard. There will be a full report here at Cruisemates upon my return.
Old January 29th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Admiral

Any cruise is very subjective as to whether it's nice or not. As I always say, 'what one person loves, another will hate.'

I have clients that love NCL and have others who hate them. I can say the exact same thing about every cruise line out there! It's all relative compared to their lifestyle, past experiences, and what they like or dislike.

I'm constantly getting phone calls from people who will say, 'Anything but Carnival.' I call them my ABC crowd. When I ask them why, they always say something like, 'My friend told me.....' Well, therein lies the problem - don't listen to your friend. You're different people, you like different things, and you want different things.

The fun part about cruising is trying them all to find those you like. But you can't determine which ones you like or which ones you don't like until you try them. That's the only fair way to do it.

My best advice is to go on the cruise with no expectations. Tell yourself you're going to have a good time and don't sweat the small stuff. There are always little things that will upset your cruise if you let them. The trick is not to let the little things bother you.

It's also like the saying I came up with, 'You'll always find what you're looking for, so look for the best in everything.' In other words, if you want to find negative things about something or someone, you'll always find them. Or you can look for the good in something or someone and always find that, too. It really does depend on what you're looking for.

And yes, sometimes parts will not meet your likes, but at the same time other parts will exceed your likes. So concentrate on those things you like.

So go on the cruise knowing you'll enjoy it, the kids will have a good time, and everything will be good.

Don't listen to those who are naysayers, because there are more of them in the world than are those who appreciate life and all the wonderment it has to offer!

Pete
47 Cruises & Counting! Favorites: Paul Gauguin to Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises in Europe; any of the Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America for 12-nights in the Baltics & Russia; RCCL for 14-night Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America for 14-day Alaska cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days in Hawaii including a 7-night NCL cruise; Oceania for 25 days in Asia; & 3 months touring Europe by train. And many days spent in all-inclusive resorts!
Old January 29th, 2014, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have sailed both lines and the 2 cruise lines are a totally different experience, and for your family I think, you have selected the right ship.

I have salied the Epic twice,and I thought the food was quite good. Food is so subjective, what one raves over, someone else may dislike....I wouldn't get nervous over others comparisons, Just the fact that the Getaway has a fabulous pool deck, will make your family's enjoyment onboard, a better experience.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old January 30th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinl View Post
We booked a cruise in June on the Geteway and worried it was the wrong cruise line. There are not many reviews on the Geteway so I looked at reviews on its sister ship - Breakaway. They are not good on cruise critic! Any feedback would be great if you have traveled on either ship. I have been on Celebrity and a short 3 day with NCL. I keep hearing that it is very crowded, food is horrible, staff is horrible. Basically, nothing positive.

Thanks
Robin, we have cruised with all the mainstream lines and decided to give NCL a try, booking the Dawn a few years ago. I read every Dawn review I could get my hands on, and boy was I worried! But, we fell in love with the staff and the relaxed atmosphere. Best cruise we had ever had, and we have booked with them 6 times since then and never had a bad cruise!

Please keep in mind that those who are happy with their cruise will probably not rush home and post a review. Those that are unhappy, often will, so you see the negative ones, but fewer positive. I think for some people, it was just not what they were expecting. They were used to such and such, and because it was this and that instead, well, that must be a bad thing! We recently cruised on Epic, and again I was worried based on some reviews. Honestly, I have to wonder what ship those people were on! Many things so over exaggerated. It was a different experience than the other ships, but we loved it for what it was. It is like comparing a seaside B&B to a Vegas hotel. They are very different, but that does not make one or the other bad.

So now when I read reviews, I just discount the subjective opinions and ask myself, IF this is absolutely true, will it affect ME? Too crowded near the pool, difficult to get a chair? That is the last place you'd find me, so no problem. Have read that the service in the MDR is too slow. For us, dinner is an event not to be rushed through, so no problem. And, we usually eat in a specialty 2 or 3 nights. Also keep in mind, if a review is posted in the official review section, no one can challenge their statements, and I have seen some doozies. Like stating that there is only one free dining room or other such nonsense. A review which is posted on the Norwegian Forum on Cruise Critic on the other hand, may have a more balanced overview. Or at least, there are others who will comment or ask questions of the reviewer.

So if you are going to read reviews, what I'm suggesting is that you use them to look for info which will help to enhance your experience. For the Epic, there were many reviews with complaints about finding a seat at the buffet during the busy breakfast rush hour. We did not have this problem because we already had inside info on a quiet scenic area open to buffet guests but unknown by the majority. We simply walked down a set of stairs inside the buffet and sat at the forward facing windows of La Cucina restaurant with a handful of other people. Crowded on the pool deck? Simply walk up to an out of the way area on the upper decks which at one time was designated as a private area for Haven guests, but now open to the public. Few know about it. Padded loungers, cabanas, peace and quiet, barely anyone there. We knew about these things by reading the Norwegian board.

We are booked on the Getaway February 22nd sailing, so I'll let you know how it is! I'm depending on Dave to get me all the inside info on his Feb. 2nd sailing.
Old January 30th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Admiral

How can there be reviews? The ship is not in service yet
Old January 30th, 2014, 07:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
How can there be reviews? The ship is not in service yet
There are a very few reports from some 1 nighters in Europe and then the Transatlantic. It would make sense to look at the reviews of Getaway's sister ship the Breakaway as they are pretty much identical except they have renamed some of the venues and changed the decor to represent the Miami "vibe" rather than the New York theme on the Breakaway.