Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 24th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Ultimate Dining Package/Your Opinion

Good Day, My wife and I have booked NCL Jade for a 14 night trip out of Venice. My question to everyone on this thread; What is your personal opinion for the Ultimate Dining Package; or any dining package for the specialty restaurants on the Jade? I figure since we will be onboard for that long; maybe we would eat in the specialty restaurants the first week; then second week when our adult kids will be joining us; we would explore all the other options. We are booked in aft penthouse; so I know we can eat breakfast and lunch at Cagney's; not that we will eat there everyday, but that is an option. I look forward to any and all feedback. Thanks and have a wonderful day.
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2014, 01:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

There is discussion on this topic a little further down the board you might want to take a look at.

You'd just have to guesstimate which ones you'd eat at and how many times to see if you would have any savings.

I have run the numbers based on how many times a week we usually dine at the specialties and the cover charges for those and it does not appear that we would benefit from it, at least on a seven day cruise. We probably average $70 per person.

We usually end up in the MDRs and buffet several times, and probably only average 3 times or so in specialties during a cruise. Based on the restaurants we like, even going to Cagneys twice, we'd have to hit the specialties about 5 times in order to just break even and that's way more than our normal usage.

Personally, I just want to eat where I feel like eating and not have to worry about whether or not I'm getting my money's worth out of the UDP.
Old March 24th, 2014, 03:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks Travelbuggs, I will check out the other thread.

[url=http://www.cruisingtalk.com]
Next Up NCL Jade
Old March 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Cruise Maniac

Travelbuggs, I just read the other thread about ultimate dining package. Lots of good input. I guess I will give a few of the specialty places on Jade a try; although don't know if I will actually buy the entire package.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old March 26th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
Travelbuggs, I just read the other thread about ultimate dining package. Lots of good input. I guess I will give a few of the specialty places on Jade a try; although don't know if I will actually buy the entire package.
I highly recommend Cagney's. Our meal there on the Getaway was one of the best I have ever had, land or sea! We also like Moderno with that fantastic salad bar. Enjoy!
Old March 26th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think we will book Cagneys, Papa's Italian(wife is Italian so she will want to try it), the French Bistro, where I hear you can get a good steak also. Since we are booked on 14 day B2B, will have plenty of time to try specialty dining.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old April 17th, 2014, 08:52 AM
Familiar Face

We've eaten in the specialty's a few times. They were good but since we are light eaters we wouldn't eat enough for the UDP to be cost effective. Besides, there are plenty of other venues to explore.
NCL Star- Alaska Aug 2009
NCL Sky- Bahamas Dec 2010
NCL Star- W Caribbean Jan 2013

Old April 17th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

LAWTONCRUISE, Thanks for the feedback. I don't know how cost effective the UDP would be for my wife and I. For it to be cost effective I would have to eat in a specialty restaurant every day, and I don't think I want to do that.

Next Up NCL Jade