CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   Port Charges and Taxes (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/401884-port-charges-taxes.html)

aljcolli April 13th, 2014 09:55 PM

Port Charges and Taxes

Can anyone tell me what I should expect to pay in port charges and taxes for an Alaskan cruise on NCL in September?:?:

storybookcruises.com April 13th, 2014 11:32 PM

Surprised your agent couldn't give you this information.

If you're talking about a 7-night cruise on the Pearl, Jewel, or Sun, figure around $197.

Pete

Queen of Oakville April 15th, 2014 01:01 PM

It's wrapped up into your cruise fare (but quoted separately). Once you've paid for your cruise, you are done.

If the port gets missed, the port charges are generally refunded to your stateroom account.

Trip April 15th, 2014 03:11 PM

One pet peeve of mine is to get a quote without port charges and taxes factored in. To my mind, it should be all inclusive when given...

storybookcruises.com April 15th, 2014 04:55 PM

Yep, hope they're not getting confused by all this.

The price quoted or seen on the website consists of two fares; the cruise fare and the non-commissionable fees (also known as port fees). The taxes (or referred to on some sites as taxes and fees or as taxes and port fees) are shown as a separate price.

Again, this is why it's best to book with an agent so they can give you all the prices and you can see what the total cabin cost will be. Then they can also advise you of any other fees that you will/may incur; gratuities, transfers, baggage fees, specialty restaurants, etc. etc.

Plus, they can also give you other options to consider, especially to Alaska since some cruise lines go places others don't, such as to Glacier Bay.

Pete

Queen of Oakville April 16th, 2014 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1498740)
One pet peeve of mine is to get a quote without port charges and taxes factored in. To my mind, it should be all inclusive when given...

that's interesting Trip - I've never experienced that.

I can see where a newbie would be confused but what is or is not included.

storybookcruises.com April 16th, 2014 01:01 PM

The quoting of a cruise fare without the 'non-commissionables' use to be the norm many years ago. Caused alot of confusion and people thought it was deceptive advertising because they would advertise a low price and then add the non-commissionables and the taxes, and the price would double. So they passed a law requiring everyone to advertise or quote the cruise fare and the non-commissionable fees as one price. And legally, they can no longer provide the cruise fare by itself.

If you remember, it was just recently that laws were passed requiring the airline industry to do the same thing because of all their additional amounts they would charge while advertising a very low fare.

Just about 2 weeks ago, RCCL announced they are changing their pricing policies. Prices on cruise lines' websites always provided a rate and then said, "Plus taxes and fees." Now, RCCL is showing the actual amount of the taxes and fees right on the website before getting to the end of the process making it easier for people to see what it's actually going to cost.

We'll see if that new trend takes hold with other cruise lines or not. It'll take a little while to get use to it, but I think it's a good change. Everyone in the industry is use to providing a quote and then saying the rate is per person plus tax, then not providing the tax amount. (I know I'm guilty and I need to change.)

Pete

Queen of Oakville April 21st, 2014 02:25 PM

That is very interesting.

I'm in Canada, and as long as I can remember, our vacation fares have been advertised with the +taxes and the amount. So, even for flights or package vacations we can see what the taxes or charges are.

In some cases, it can add 40% or more to the cost of a holiday.

storybookcruises.com April 21st, 2014 06:51 PM

What makes it tough is when one person will quote a price that includes the taxes and another will quote the price without them. Makes it confusing for the consumer.

Best thing to do when comparing prices is look at the total cabin price because I always find it funny that one cruise line will charge more for taxes than another cruise line going to the same places!

Pete

CruzConcultant April 23rd, 2014 09:54 AM

all inclusive

All Taxes & charges are included in the total price. You should not have anything added on.