CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Norwegian Cruise Lines (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/)
-   -   NCL Cancels Joan Rivers Gig (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/norwegian-cruise-lines/402141-ncl-cancels-joan-rivers-gig.html)

Trip May 5th, 2014 07:15 PM

NCL Cancels Joan Rivers Gig

NCL has canceled Joan Rivers Comedy gig, because of the backlash about the remark she made last week, regarding Michelle Knight. Joan made a joke about Michelle's being kept captive with 2 other women, in the home of a maniac.

IMHO, over the past few years, Joan has become a joke herself...I say good for NCL.

Donna May 5th, 2014 07:43 PM

This also makes me wonder, how well the sailing was booked...???

Travelbuggs May 6th, 2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1499945)
NCL has canceled Joan Rivers Comedy gig, because of the backlash about the remark she made last week, regarding Michelle Knight. Joan made a joke about Michelle's being kept captive with 2 other women, in the home of a maniac.

IMHO, over the past few years, Joan has become a joke herself...I say good for NCL.

Joan Rivers is certainly not my favorite comedian, but I do respect her, and it is the nature of comedy to be on the cutting edge, and not much is sacred or politically correct. If you actually read the joke, the comment was in reference to the size of the room in comparison to her stateroom size.

But I do wonder what idiot at NCL decided that this type of no holds barred comedy was appropriate for a family friendly cruise line and booked her to begin with! They must have done no research at all. Maybe they should have caught a couple episodes of Fashion Police or seen a show of hers first.:rolleyes:

If you ask me, I think someone at NCL with some sense suddenly got way more worried about having someone with Joan's voice talking about their cabins, food and ship after the gig was over. She could probably have made it into an entire routine. And I will bet that Joan will still collect her fee for this contract.

Trip May 6th, 2014 09:11 AM

Iv'e been a long time Rivers fan, seeing her perform locally here, twice,and enjoyed her topical humor, but over the past few years she has cricled the drain in the crossing the line department.

I know what she said, and her reference to the room. She recently had Zendaya, a 17 year old Disney star fill in on her Fashion Police show. I thought to myself, she will temper her jokes a tad, because of this girls age, instead she almost seemed to ramp up the raunch,which this show is filled with in the guise of reporting on fashion. It's more like late night at Carolines Comedy Club, with a sprinkling of who wore what.

I am by no means a prude, and I can run with a topical joke with the best of them, but the line in the sand is getting pushed into the sea. JMHO.:)

Travelbuggs May 6th, 2014 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1499967)
Iv'e been a long time Rivers fan, seeing her perform locally here, twice,and enjoyed her topical humor, but over the past few years she has cricled the drain in the crossing the line department.

I know what she said, and her reference to the room. She recently had Zendaya, a 17 year old Disney star fill in on her Fashion Police show. I thought to myself, she will temper her jokes a tad, because of this girls age, instead she almost seemed to ramp up the raunch,which this show is filled with in the guise of reporting on fashion. It's more like late night at Carolines Comedy Club, with a sprinkling of who wore what.

I am by no means a prude, and I can run with a topical joke with the best of them, but the line in the sand is getting pushed into the sea. JMHO.:)

I agree, and we all have the choice of who we tune in to see, or pay for show tickets for. I just think it is ridiculous that they would book someone this controversial and then fire her the first time she is in the news again. It was probably a very calculated move on her part to generate a news headline. ( No publicity is bad publicity ). It was not just an off the cuff remark.

Maybe they thought people would say "Yeah for Norwegian!" When they fired her. It just makes me say Norwegian....Doh!! What were you thinking?

Paul Motter May 7th, 2014 02:21 PM

You know what, guys. I just read what she said about this person - and I agree with her - she is a comedienne - no apology necessary.

She joked about three girls who were abducted. Her joke was about their situation, not the girls. Then she made a joke about the media and how some things get a pass and others don't.

I say give her a pass. I just saw her show on HBO - and if she is OK for HBO she should be okay for Norwegian.

You know - they make films like "Texas chainsaw Massacre" based on real people who actually wore the faces of dead people and committed murder. That is immortalizing those people. She just made a joke about the girl's situation, not her.

Joan's show on HBO was VERY over the edge, outright bawdy and awful in terms of "propriety" - but it was also laugh out loud funny and I thought it was great. Yes, I was fully aware that it was way "over the edge" (not just close to it - over it) - but it was also hilarious.

I am an old fan of Joan Rivers anyway. As a comedienne in the '60s she could absolutely kill in Las Vegas, (lines like: Elizabeth Taylor has more chins than a Chinese phone book) for example. And that 'over the edge' comedy is what she has always done - but now it is even more over the edge because that is what successful comedians do these days.

Joan is not a clean "cruise ship" comedian - she is an adult "listen to it when the kids are in bed" kind of comedienne. Remember "Rusty Warren" records, the comedienne whose records were for adults only when we were kids? Well guess what - kids have the Internet these days, they hear and see it all, and if you think they don't you are only deluding yourself.

I do not care for a lot of modern comedians, I get almost nothing from Louis CK, for example (as a comedian) - maybe a smile once in awhile, but Joan had me falling out of my seat. Yes, I was fully aware it was things no one should say out loud - but sometimes that is what makes great comedy.

I say it's too bad for Norwegian if they had to bow to pressure from non-fans who wouldn't go anyway that they would have to cancel the cruise for the people who actually wanted to go.

From what I see, she was booked as a lecturer. Well, you have to book Joan as someone who only performs for people who already know what she does. You should not unleash her on an unsuspecting audience. But I am still a big proponent of free speech.

But, as I said, there are a lot of artists I don't like, but Joan is an exception, her comedy is outrageous and really funny. If you don't like it no one is twisting your arm to listen to her, but lets not censor people we we don't like just because.

Donna May 7th, 2014 04:16 PM

I am with you Paul, I have always enjoyed her comedy, although I wasn't sure if it was a good fit for a cruise ship....Yep, she is funny for sure, and yes, a bit over the edge, but she always has...

Paul Motter May 7th, 2014 07:31 PM

Of course, I often speak my mind before I have ALL of the facts, and I don't know everything in this case. But I will stick up for Joan Rivers doing what she does - especially compared to things I hear other comics doing these days.

But it has to be under the right conditions. I do agree that she would be out of place as a "lecturer" on a cruise ship IF she did her routine. But I have also seen her on shows where she plays it straight with nothing obscene or crude for an entire show.

She is not a stupid or crude person at all. She could have stayed within the guidelines given to her. I just get tired of people thinking they have to police what other people choose to do or see.

Trip May 7th, 2014 08:06 PM

"She is not a stupid or crude person at all." Paul..Have youe seen her show lately? Her middle name is crude!!

LAWTONCRUISE May 8th, 2014 09:09 AM

A person's taste in Comedy is like everything else, subjective. To each his/her own. If you like her fine. I personally think she is crude and offensive.

Paul Motter May 8th, 2014 12:09 PM

I did not deny her show is crude. I said it was beyond crude and offensive. But it is comedy. Very much of what you hear in comedy is very crude these days. I just happen to think at least hers is funny. If you don;t then you have a different sense of humor.

But here is the truth: most very successful comedians work VERY dirty and crude these days - even Bob Saget from that show with Olsen Twins: This video is him and it is extremely crude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHeZS3mGDKY

SO DO NOT WATCH IT IF EASILY OFFENDED

I fully admitted Joan was way over the top, but what I said was "But I have also seen her on shows where she plays it straight with nothing obscene or crude for an entire show." and that was what I was referring to when I said "She is not a stupid or crude person at all." and that "She could have stayed within the guidelines given to her." if they had given guidelines to her. I have also seen her on "The Apprentice" and other shows where she never said a single crude thing.

Travelbuggs May 10th, 2014 09:41 AM

Paul, I agree with you about Joan. Since watching her on Celebrity Apprentice, I have total respect for her integrity and her energy. I have never seen her go after anyone other than other celebrities and a lot of her humor is directed at herself.

Recently someone actually printed the comment she made which created all the hullabaloo. I doubt half the people who were offended know what she actually said. This is the gist of it. She was talking about staying in her daughter Mellissa's guest bedroom and said, "those girl's in ( the name of the city, I don't recall ) had more room!". So again, depreciating humor toward herself, comparing her room to a dungeon. Maybe not politically correct, but not offensive to me.

thecruisequeen May 16th, 2014 10:35 PM

A fan of Joan here....:p Would love to see her on a cruise ship doing the Midnight late show though not the early family show. :D:p:cool::-P8-)

Paul Motter May 17th, 2014 02:46 PM

Without a doubt - she goes well beyond the bounds of good taste - but so does Louis C.K. - who is considered the foremost comedian of our (current) time.

I don't find Louis funny 90% of the time. Once in awhile he hits on a gem, but when he decides to go crude for laughs, sadly, it wasn't worth going there.

If I am going to lower my moral compass for a comedian, it had better be funny. Joan is truly funny (and crude), Louis CK, is just crude when he attempts to go there - and I do get offended.

That is the thing about comedy - if it makes you really laugh it is justified. But what I really resent are people who do "jokes" in the name of comedy that really are not jokes at all, they are political rants.

I can enjoy political comedy if a joke is funny, but take someone like Bill Mahr who will make a joke about Sarah Palin being stupid, (and by "joke" I mean its a fictional story) and he expects you to think it is funny not because the joke is good, but because its about Sarah Palin, then I am offended.

But I would rather hear that joke from Joan Rivers than listen to Bill Mahr's audience laugh just because he says "Republicans are A*****es." (and they will surely laugh, because they actually think that is comedy.)

Trip May 17th, 2014 03:18 PM

I too like a Joke from Joan...and I have for years...what I don't like is "every" joke being dredged in sexual crudeness, which she is constantly doing now.

Seeing her in person twice, was great..going to see her now, I would bet, would be a.....not so much.:(

TimmyK May 18th, 2014 11:45 AM

Seeing Joan Rivers would be over the top. After 15 min it would be enough already with the sexual jokes; and she never knows when to stop. But; this is what pays her rent so she goes with it

Mike M May 18th, 2014 11:52 AM

I guess there's no way they'll ever hire. Louis C.K., Bob Saggett, Chris Rock or many other comedians.

In many ways I believe we have become too politically correct. Joan never referred to the girls, she only compared their living conditions to the size of her room at her daughter's house. Some may take issue with this and give it the "Too Soon" but I don't believe it's a reason to cancel her.

Take care,
Mike

Snoozeman May 18th, 2014 01:32 PM

The person who should be gone IMHO is George Lopez from Carnival Punchliner Comedy promos. What a joke that guy is.........

Trip May 18th, 2014 07:19 PM

I guess being dead drunk,and passed out on the floor, is not considered a bad thing..oy;(

Joan is always too soon...:(enough with the lady part jokes too....in Yiddish there is a word that describes it well...feh!

Mike M May 19th, 2014 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trip (Post 1500613)
I guess being dead drunk,and passed out on the floor, is not considered a bad thing..oy;(

Joan is always too soon...:(enough with the lady part jokes too....in Yiddish there is a word that describes it well...feh!

I'm passed out on the floor about once ever week or two. :)

Take care,
Mike

Paul Motter May 19th, 2014 06:06 PM

Ray (Snooze) - you and I have followed this George Lopez business. He still has never sailed on a cruise ship. It was all just a "name drop" idea to get him as a celebrity spokesperson for Carnival.

But in fact, in real life he never says anything about the cruise line, their ships or anything.

He was on Jay Leno, who asked him about it and all Lopez could say was "No, I'm not going to be ON the ships, I am the new 'curator of comedy' - no, other people will be on the ships, not me." (like, "are you kidding?")

You told us he actually went on Triumph when it came back from refurbishment - but that was it.

Paul Motter May 19th, 2014 06:08 PM

Linda - she has a special on Showtime (not HBO, my mistake) right now which I just watched last week, and I thought she was as funny as ever.

Crude, yes. But at least funny.

Trip May 19th, 2014 07:04 PM

Just like food I guess...humor is subjective:)