Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 15th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Any Haven Fans ?

Just got back from a week in a Haven suite on Getaway and honestly I can't ever imagine cruising any other way ever again.

NCL advertise Haven as "a ship within a ship" and the sad part is that this is an entirely accurate statement - we didn't much care for the rest of Getaway, it seemed very crowded and the food wasn't good even in the specialty restaurants. But the Haven areas were incredible, especially the restaurant which had superb food.

It has spoiled us really, it's pretty much Haven or nothing going forward. Anyone else similarly afflicted ?
Sponsored Links
Old June 17th, 2014, 08:01 AM
First Mate

We kept an eye on Haven prices when we cruised on Getaway in February, but alas, prices never fell to any level we felt was worth the money to upgrade ourselves from our M6 minisuite with that huge balcony near the Waterfront on deck 8. It would have cost us thousands more for the privilege of being in the Haven. Not worth the money IMO. It would be nice to experience, but I don't feel like NOT being in the Haven affected our cruise in any negative way.

Unlike yourself, we loved all of Getaway and did not find it overly crowded. We try not to cruise when kids are out of school and there are always quiet spots to seek out. We spent a lot of time relaxing on one of the Waterfront's big comfy couches or chairs sipping Mojitos. We thought the food ranged from good to wonderful. And I think I am correct in saying that the "superb" food you loved in the Haven restaurant is the same food served in the Tropicana MDR, but you had a more intimate setting in the Haven. We did enjoy one meal in Tropicana along side the dance floor and live band, and the food, as you said, was very good indeed. There are 2 other quiet MDRs if you don't care for the hubbub in the big MDR. The meal we had in Cagney's was one of the best I have ever had anywhere. The steak was cooked to perfection, and I swear you could cut it with a fork. And the salad bar, ( yes, salad bar! ) in Moderno is not to be missed.

For those who can't afford the Haven, or don't choose to spend the extra money, you can still have a great cruise.
Old June 17th, 2014, 03:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Fonsini...

I am curious - not being critical, just honestly asking. If you like the Haven experience at the Haven price, but did not care for the rest of the ship, do you plan to try a luxury cruise line next time?

It seems like the whole ship would measure up to your accommodations that way.

Something Oceania Marina would be a great ship for you - fantastic food, excellent onboard enrichment.

Is that were you are headed next?
Old June 17th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I was fortunate to be able to tour all these beautiful cabins when the Gem came to Boston, for a media cruise...sailing out of Boston in a blizzard was a hoot, too!

I think the exclusivity of the area, would make for an extremely quiet cruise, especially the dining area, that, for the "majority" of cruisers, is not the reason they cruise, but, it is perfect for those seeking privacy and solace.

I do agree with Paul though, that, maybe the smaller more upscale Crystal, Seabourn, or Regent, might offer you a more well rounded cruise.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator