Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 23rd, 2014, 01:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Breakaway not getting premium pricing

There is a lot of competition in the Caribbean now and especially coming this fall. NCL has admitted it is getting about 5 to 6% less per cruise for Breakaway than it expected. Sails out of New York.
Sponsored Links
Old June 24th, 2014, 06:48 AM
First Mate

Do you think it's because of sailing out of NY? Does the Getaway do better based in Miami?

Next Up NCL Jade
Old June 24th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Admiral

The Gateway would probably do worse sailing out of Miami. There is a lot of competition in that area.
The number of ships has been increasing faster than the number of cruisers.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old June 24th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Do any of them though these days? Regal and Royal Princess certainly don't. Even starting to see some great deals on Oasis and Allure. I think RCL's new one's probably will for a while.
Old June 24th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The fact is that cruising in America is only growing by about 3%/year... that is not enough to fill all the new ships that have some out.

Especially since all of the newer ships are far bigger and more dense in terms of passenger capacity. It used to be that ships were about 80,000-tons and would average about 2200 berths and would max out at just over 2600 passengers total.

The new generation - especially the most recent like Quantum, Breakaway-plus (Norwegian Escape) which is essentially the Breakaway ship with an extra deck for staterooms. The new ships are 160,000-tons and can accommodate over 5000 guests in total.

Now that they have the ships to sell, they need to fill them, and they have a lot of cabins to fill week after week. It also has not done much for the experience of going to Grand Cayman when there are three huge ships there. You can barely walk on the sidewalks to see all the expensive stuff you don't want to buy anyway.
Old June 25th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Admiral

Breakaway does have Cheaper rates in the NY area. Explorer prices out higher plus 2 days less. Summit is also higher.

I was just checking rates on Getaway out of Miami and boy some really good rates.

Too many ships not enough cruisers.....

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 26th, 2014, 03:04 PM
First Mate

A friend got a suite on Breakaway in May for under a grand.... If I get a good deal we are going to sail to Bermuda in September on Breakaway

Carnival Fascination 11/01/04, 5N
Crown Princess 3/27/10, 7N
Oasis of the Seas 10/20/12, 7N
Celebrity Silhouette 2/09/14 7N
Quantum of the Seas - 12/01/14, 11N
Celebrity Summit 4/25/15 8N

Old June 26th, 2014, 06:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Bermuda sounds like fun. I have only been there once and it was just for day - didn't see it at night or even see much of it. Is it a nice place to visit - or is the cruise mostly about being on the ship?
Old June 26th, 2014, 07:31 PM
Admiral

Bermuda is a beautiful place. Beautiful beaches, great shopping. To me Bermuda is more of a quiet relaxing place unlike the caribbean where there are many excursions and thinks to do.

People of Bermuda are very friendly and nice. Also a great transportation system to get around by bus.

Bermuda cruises do well because it is alot less expensive to cruise to Bermuda then hop on a plane and stay there. For a week in August flight and hotel (hamilton Princess) is $3,416. for two. Now one has to add food and drinks....and the food bill adds up real fast in the islands. That flight is just from Newark which is only 2 hours so depending where you are flight can be alot more.

Now do Bermuda by cruise for two it can be around $1,800. food included drinks extra. (airfare if needed) Summit and Breakaway dock for 3 full days Explorer docks for 2 days.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old June 27th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecruisequeen View Post
Bermuda is a beautiful place. Beautiful beaches, great shopping. To me Bermuda is more of a quiet relaxing place unlike the caribbean where there are many excursions and thinks to do.

People of Bermuda are very friendly and nice. Also a great transportation system to get around by bus.

Bermuda cruises do well because it is alot less expensive to cruise to Bermuda then hop on a plane and stay there. For a week in August flight and hotel (hamilton Princess) is $3,416. for two. Now one has to add food and drinks....and the food bill adds up real fast in the islands. That flight is just from Newark which is only 2 hours so depending where you are flight can be alot more.

Now do Bermuda by cruise for two it can be around $1,800. food included drinks extra. (airfare if needed) Summit and Breakaway dock for 3 full days Explorer docks for 2 days.
But, if someone wants Bermuda rather than paying to be at sea, the hotel stay breaks down to $488 a day. The cruise breaks down to $600 a day for your three days in Bermuda. I've spent two weeks on a land trip in Bermuda, it was fantastic. That experience cannot be replicated on a ship.
Old June 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
The fact is that cruising in America is only growing by about 3%/year... that is not enough to fill all the new ships that have some out.

Especially since all of the newer ships are far bigger and more dense in terms of passenger capacity. It used to be that ships were about 80,000-tons and would average about 2200 berths and would max out at just over 2600 passengers total.

The new generation - especially the most recent like Quantum, Breakaway-plus (Norwegian Escape) which is essentially the Breakaway ship with an extra deck for staterooms. The new ships are 160,000-tons and can accommodate over 5000 guests in total.

Now that they have the ships to sell, they need to fill them, and they have a lot of cabins to fill week after week. It also has not done much for the experience of going to Grand Cayman when there are three huge ships there. You can barely walk on the sidewalks to see all the expensive stuff you don't want to buy anyway.
Hopefully this will be the start to the end of the Mega ships! Myself personaly I would not pay to go on one of these floating cities.To many people, to big.I feel the mid size ships are a better cruise experense.Not only on sea days but also in port.
Old June 30th, 2014, 12:58 PM
First Mate

Dhill. I agree. It's nice to be on a smaller ship, especially in Europe. I know NCL Epic and Allure of the Seas are there this summer. They can't get into some small port so they skip those ports

Next Up NCL Jade
Old June 30th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Fellows - I think you are saying what many of us are thinking.

Cruising used to be about taking a somewhat small-sized vessel to destinations. The ship was nice, but also the shipboard experience was simple; good food, sunshine, long dinners, relaxation.... a cruise was an adventure on the water, not a floating amusement park.

But as they realized the economy of scale - getting more money out of packing more people onto a vessel - they also had to add reasons for more people to want to go on that cruise, and a lot of that was geared towards "family vacations"

So, many of the new ships include basically a lot of attractions for (being realistic) kids. From the Flo-Rider to ice skating, water slides, etc.... things just changed. Ships changed.

Also - with all of the new dining concepts; a cruise used to have a singular dining room that provided all of the great food you expected on a cruise by varying the menu every night. These days you have to "pick a restaurant" and pay a cover charge to have special dining.

Don;t get me wrong, the food is excellent on the vast majority of these special venues, but they have also gotten more expensive. The days when you looked forward to a great meal in the regular dining room every night are now limited to the more upscale and luxury cruise lines.

Big ships are floating amusement parks in many ways - and I have had fun on many of them, but it isn't the old-style cruising we all came to know and love.
Old June 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM
Admiral

Anyone want to cruise to Bermuda and can leave July 7th Celebrity Summit is $399. pp plus port....

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old July 8th, 2014, 05:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Arrow Don't think it was a full fledged Suite though.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum13 View Post
A friend got a suite on Breakaway in May for under a grand.... If I get a good deal we are going to sail to Bermuda in September on Breakaway
.....probably a Mini-suite.

Including taxes and fees, I just paid $1750 pp for a Spa Suite and I have yet to find a lower price for that room on any sailing. And that is usually the cheapest Suite available from what I've seen.

wasiii
Old July 9th, 2014, 12:40 PM
Familiar Face

ya someone i know got a great deal on a breakaway suite too, something like $1100 i believe.