Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:16 AM
First Mate

Default New Breakaway Class-What do you think?

According to the press release and Paul's article, Norwegian is buying two new gigantic size ships. So what do you think? Yes or no. I get that the bigger the ship the more stuff you can cram on the ship and the more money the cruiseline can make from all the people onboard. It truly is a floating city with over 5,000 plus pax/crew. It seems the larger the ship, the harder it is to find docking space; so the next best thing is; sail to anywhere and dock anywhere. My feeling is, the cruiselines are concentrating more about the ship and what's onboard, than ports of call. It almost seems like you set sail out of Miami and sail around the Caribbean for a week and not hit any ports. Just stay on the ship, spend money, and have fun. What do you say?

Next Up NCL Jade
Sponsored Links
Old July 17th, 2014, 12:52 AM
Captain

I like the bigger ships and the cool new amenities they offer.

But for me it's always:
1. Ports
2. Cruise line
3. Ship extras
4. Food

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 17th, 2014, 04:24 PM
First Mate

Aerospace; so your #2 choice is cruiseline. Do you mean the cruiseline itself or the cruiseline's ships? I assume the shps extra's means what kind of stuff is onboard; ie. flowrider, rock climbing wall, water slides.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Captain

2. I have my preferred lines usually Celebrity then RCL then Carnival based mostly on past experiences.
3. Would be deciding the best ship for me based on what it offers to do on board. It does vary depending on my mood or itinerary. For port intensive trips on board offerings are less important, if it's many sea days they would matter more. It's still 3rd at best in my decision.

I am finding more people are considering staying on board than in the past which means the ships themselves are the draw. For me it's a easy/cheap way to visit many places. I'd rather they make better itineraries, improve customer service, or add some on board lecturers than spend an extra 100mil per ship on extras. To much of 20 cruise choices and they all go exactly the same place every year.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 18th, 2014, 01:58 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
According to the press release and Paul's article, Norwegian is buying two new gigantic size ships. So what do you think? Yes or no. I get that the bigger the ship the more stuff you can cram on the ship and the more money the cruiseline can make from all the people onboard. It truly is a floating city with over 5,000 plus pax/crew. It seems the larger the ship, the harder it is to find docking space; so the next best thing is; sail to anywhere and dock anywhere. My feeling is, the cruiselines are concentrating more about the ship and what's onboard, than ports of call. It almost seems like you set sail out of Miami and sail around the Caribbean for a week and not hit any ports. Just stay on the ship, spend money, and have fun. What do you say?
I for one would not take a 7day cruise to nowhere, I don't care how many amenities there are.. As far as the big ships, people either love them or hate them. So the PLUS ships will have an extra deck and an extra 19,000 tons, if I understand correctly. So, does this work out to be even bigger than the Allure? I was thinking that these will be slightly smaller.

We were on the Epic and also the Getaway and were pleasantly surprised at how uncrowded these ships felt. You would never guess there were 4,000 odd people on board, with so many areas for people to spread out in. We really loved the layout of the Getaway and the connection to the sea with that indoor/outdoor Waterfront area, so I am glad to see this being carried forward onto the new builds.

The docking does seem to present a problem. Since these newer builds seem to be the thing now, if the various cruise ports want a cruise line's business, sooner or later they may have to build docks that will accommodate, like Bermuda did for the Breakaway.
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:21 PM
First Mate

Travelbuggs, The NCL ships Breakaway, Getaway, are a tad smaller than Oasis and Allure. We sailed Allure and had a great time. There was so much to see and do; you almost need a b2b to do and see everything.

Next Up NCL Jade
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:59 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Travelbuggs, The NCL ships Breakaway, Getaway, are a tad smaller than Oasis and Allure. We sailed Allure and had a great time. There was so much to see and do; you almost need a b2b to do and see everything.
Yes, that is the experience we had on Epic and Getaway. We really needed more time! But, I don't know. I think it may be possible to go too big! The design of these ships was well thought out I felt in terms of grouping venues together so that you did not feel you were running yourself ragged to go from A to B. Also good in terms of connection to the sea with the improvements in design of the Breakaway/Getaway to include the Waterfront areas. I think the bigger the ship, the easier it may be to lose that.

When we were on the Freedom of the Seas, it just did not have the right vibe to me. I remember walking through that center mall like area late at night, ( we are not night owls, so it could not have been very late ) and it was absolutely deserted. We were literally the only people in that cavernous space. It gave me a very uneasy feeling, kind of like I'd feel at our local mall at 2:00 am. Not warm and cozy and vibrant with people and activity. I had that feeling the entire cruise, and we never went back to Royal again after that.
Old July 25th, 2014, 06:42 PM
First Mate

The promenade is not crowded unless there is so etching scheduled. Parade, meet and greet with the captain. I have been there when it was half empty

Next Up NCL Jade
Old July 26th, 2014, 07:25 PM
First Mate

Quote:
The promenade is not crowded unless there is so etching scheduled. Parade, meet and greet with the captain. I have been there when it was half empty
That seems like such a waste to me, to have areas that are that under utilized or absolutely deserted when we walked through. I barely remember what was in there, maybe mostly shops, but are they closed at night? And the space certainly is not making them any money if it is deserted! Why not put some music in there and some cozy piano bars, and places for people to go? What is the good in a "grand" atrium if absolutely nothing goes on there except for a parade or something now and then? One of the comments I hear frequently about NCL ships is that the atrium is not "grand enough", despite some beautiful chandeliers, or does not have as much "wow" factor as some. What good is a grand space that has nothing going on there? You go in, take a picture and walk out.
Old July 27th, 2014, 02:38 AM
Captain

With there only being a handful of cruise ports in the Caribbean that I haven't been to, the ship is becoming more important now then when I first started cruising.
We have tried 4 different cruise lines and different sizes of ships too. Every cruise has a special place in my heart and each ship has been pretty good for the most part, the Carnival Holiday being the exception.
I don't think I would like a cruise to no where! As a matter of fact the DW and I want to do a cruise to Hawaii but we don't want to sail from the U.S. mainland with 5 sea days out and 5 sea days back. Guess we will have to fly to Hawaii and do the NCL cruise out of there.
To me, where the cruise lines could improve is to have shows in their theaters in the afternoon on sea days and give us more to do so sea days aren't as boring.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
With there only being a handful of cruise ports in the Caribbean that I haven't been to, the ship is becoming more important now then when I first started cruising.
We have tried 4 different cruise lines and different sizes of ships too. Every cruise has a special place in my heart and each ship has been pretty good for the most part, the Carnival Holiday being the exception.
I don't think I would like a cruise to no where! As a matter of fact the DW and I want to do a cruise to Hawaii but we don't want to sail from the U.S. mainland with 5 sea days out and 5 sea days back. Guess we will have to fly to Hawaii and do the NCL cruise out of there.
To me, where the cruise lines could improve is to have shows in their theaters in the afternoon on sea days and give us more to do so sea days aren't as boring.

I have to say, I've never experienced a boring sea day. They seem to fly by. The ships now have so much to do. But still, a full 7 day cruise to no where is a bit much. I don't know how I would do on a transatlantic without a port stop every day or two.

And I agree with you about taking a cruise from the west coast to Hawaii. I don't know why people do it. You would need a full 2 weeks, and why waste that many days at sea, when you could be spending those days in Hawaii after flying there? This August we will fly to Hawaii, cruise around the islands for 7 days and then spend another 7 on Oahu, a full 14 days seeing Hawaii.

You mentioned afternoon shows on the ships. I don't remember which cruise line it was, but I do remember one which had an afternoon showing of the big show from the night before. This was probably several years ago and I don't know if they still do it. It was great for both adults and kids who run out of steam early and sometimes miss them. I thought it was a great idea and I wish they still did this occasionally. Of course, back in the day, you only had the one big show each night. Now the big ships have multiple big shows and it would make the task much more difficult, but they could still repeat a couple of them. Instead, they now offer a show with lunch, for a fee of course, like Wine Lovers Musical or some kind of Murder Mystery Lunch.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:21 PM
First Mate

I wanted to do Disney to Hawaii, but my wife can't handle the sea days in the Pacific Ocean. So if we do Hawaii it will be the Pride of America.

Next Up NCL Jade