Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Norwegian Upgrading "Included" Dining!

Did you guys happen to see this?

Norwegian Heightens Dining Experience

Included dining will soon offer reservations, new menus, a wide variety of new dishes and Chocoholic specialties

Norwegian Cruise Line just announced that it will be looking out for the people who take their cruises and maybe can’t afford to go to one of the many enticing specialty dining rooms every night. Beginning this summer diners in the regular “included in the cruise fare” dining rooms will have more menu items to choose from as well as the ability to make reservations in the regular dining rooms.

Read more: Norwegian Reinvents its Complimentary Dining

What do you guys think? I think it is a fantastic idea. Of course, they make a lot of their money from the special dining, but with this I think they can raise their cruise fares and get more cruisers. A tough choice, but I think a step in the right direction for the cruise industry.
Sponsored Links
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:12 PM
Captain

"...all-you-can-eat baby back ribs"

I'm in!

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:56 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yeah, I like the food in O'sheehans. They definitely got that right on these new ships. Plus it is open 24 hours and the food is complimentary.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 07:10 PM
First Mate

I guess we'll see after the new menus are actually sampled. They had just upgraded the menus fleet wide over the last few months and we thought the food was very good in the MDRs. Prime Rib in O'Sheehans was tough. Cagneys was to die for. I thought the variety was already pretty good, but I guess a few more selections can't hurt. I always thought they needed more seafood options, so looking forward to that! For sure, the desserts are a disappointment. Any improvement there will be much appreciated.
Old July 23rd, 2014, 08:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I did enjoy O'Sheehan's on Epic, especially for breakfast. I also like the multiple dining venues.

Perhaps I read it wrong but the 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 dining times, I'm not a fan of. I have always enjoyed the ability to walk up and get a table, even if I had to wait a few minutes for one. The last thing I want to do is figure out, weeks in advance, when I will be dining. Hopefully they will still have open seating available in the MDRs.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 24th, 2014, 10:10 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I did enjoy O'Sheehan's on Epic, especially for breakfast. I also like the multiple dining venues.

Perhaps I read it wrong but the 5:30, 6:30, 7:30, 8:30 dining times, I'm not a fan of. I have always enjoyed the ability to walk up and get a table, even if I had to wait a few minutes for one. The last thing I want to do is figure out, weeks in advance, when I will be dining. Hopefully they will still have open seating available in the MDRs.

Take care,
Mike
Yes, Norwegian is still Freestyle. I doubt very much that most NCLers will make reservations. It is just too easy to walk up when you are ready. The MDR reservation availability is only another option, just like making reservations for a specialty in advance was always an option, but not required. There were always passengers who were fans of traditional style cruising who did not like not having a set time to eat in MDR. Now everyone can be happy.

I'll never understand why some feel they must know in advance exactly what time they will dine every night, or even where. But for those who are with a large family or group, it may make things more simple than just simply walking up.
Old August 7th, 2014, 03:22 PM
First Mate

If I'm reading this correct it sounds as though they're creating a bigger problem for everyone by reserving seats during peek dining hours. They'll be loads of tables going vacant for longer periods of time just waiting for people to arrive.
BIG mistake
Old August 8th, 2014, 10:04 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichC View Post
If I'm reading this correct it sounds as though they're creating a bigger problem for everyone by reserving seats during peek dining hours. They'll be loads of tables going vacant for longer periods of time just waiting for people to arrive.
BIG mistake
Time will tell, but I don't think there will be "loads" of people who book a table in the MDR at all. And their policy has always been to hold a table for only 15 min in the specialty restaurants before releasing it and charging the fee to your account. If not, many people would not care how late they were. Hopefully they will have the same policy in the MDRs, of course without fee. Although if no shows becomes a problem, it might be a good policy to institute one. I can see some people booking a just in case reservation for every night pre cruise and then either not showing or showing up at a completely different time.