Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Norwegian Cruise Lines
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2015, 10:21 AM
First Mate

Default Kevin Sheehan is out at NCL

Just announced the Board of Directors at NCl have appointed Frank Del Rio as new CEO. What impact will this have on the cruise line; since Mr. Del Rio comes from the upscale Prestige cruise industry; Oceania and Regent. Regent and Oceania are in a different league than NCL. What are your thoughts? I hope Paul will write a blog about this.

My wife's Retirement Cruise!
Sponsored Links
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:19 AM
First Mate

Well isn't that interesting. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out.
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:27 AM
Admiral

This is a win for NCL. Del Rio is a much better manager than Sheehan, and Frank does not like to compromise on standards. I would expect NCL to get better.
Old January 9th, 2015, 11:29 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
Just announced the Board of Directors at NCl have appointed Frank Del Rio as new CEO. What impact will this have on the cruise line; since Mr. Del Rio comes from the upscale Prestige cruise industry; Oceania and Regent. Regent and Oceania are in a different league than NCL. What are your thoughts? I hope Paul will write a blog about this.
I doubt the basics at NCL will change much. There is a big market for the mainstream cruisers that NCL serves and they have been very innovative in figuring out what it is that many current cruisers value, such as a Freestyle atmosphere and great entertainment. The best evidence of this is that most of the mainstream cruise lines have followed their lead. They also cater somewhat to those who might have otherwise booked a premium cruise line, but also desire the amenities of a Breakaway or Getaway, with their exclusive Haven enclave accommodations.

Not that improvements cannot be made. But hopefully he will not throw out the baby with the bath water.
Old January 11th, 2015, 07:09 AM
Admiral

Default Oval sinks and no door showers? How could Sheehan approved these features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
I doubt the basics at NCL will change much. There is a big market for the mainstream cruisers that NCL serves and they have been very innovative in figuring out what it is that many current cruisers value, such as a Freestyle atmosphere and great entertainment. The best evidence of this is that most of the mainstream cruise lines have followed their lead. They also cater somewhat to those who might have otherwise booked a premium cruise line, but also desire the amenities of a Breakaway or Getaway, with their exclusive Haven enclave accommodations.

Not that improvements cannot be made. But hopefully he will not throw out the baby with the bath water.
I have enjoyed NCL cruises especially the Sheehan restaurant and bar, but I wondered how he could have approved the oval sinks in the cabins. Not a big thing but a detail that said someone was not sensitive to traveler feelings.
Seems like some customer focus groups would have solved these minor items. I like NCL so I will continue to cruise on NCL no matter what the leadership is.
Old January 11th, 2015, 08:12 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I have enjoyed NCL cruises especially the Sheehan restaurant and bar, but I wondered how he could have approved the oval sinks in the cabins. Not a big thing but a detail that said someone was not sensitive to traveler feelings.
Seems like some customer focus groups would have solved these minor items. I like NCL so I will continue to cruise on NCL no matter what the leadership is.
Oval sinks? I wasn't aware that square sinks were superior for hand and face washing!

Are you maybe referring to the cabin design of the Epic? There is a story behind the acquisition of the Epic, the details of which I don't recall, but I believe NCL purchased the ship after design was completed and it was already in construction. Cabin design was not my favorite, but I enjoyed many other aspects of the ship. It's cabin design is more appropriate for European travelers, who would not blink at a sink in the cabin, and it should do well on it's new itinerary.
Old January 11th, 2015, 10:39 AM
Admiral

I wonder if there is any speculation about changing the name of O'Sheehans, now that he is gone? I guess if they did rename them, it would be a not-so-subtle smack down. I've heard reports that Sheehan was not especially popular among other executives and sometimes practiced leadership by yelling.
Old January 12th, 2015, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
I wonder if there is any speculation about changing the name of O'Sheehans, now that he is gone? I guess if they did rename them, it would be a not-so-subtle smack down. I've heard reports that Sheehan was not especially popular among other executives and sometimes practiced leadership by yelling.
Yes, there are already jokes about the new Del Rio's Pub. It does have a ring to it, and maybe we'll see one on a new build, but I doubt the name O' Sheehan's will disappear from the rest of the fleet.

I have never heard anything but positives about Sheehan, both from a business and a personal standpoint. But, I don't doubt that some of the execs who reported to him did not care for him, as often happens when new leadership comes in with changes. Too many like the status quo and are unable to think outside the box. This is why he is Kevin Sheehan and they are no name middle execs. Maybe they won't like Del Rio either, for exactly the same reason.
Old January 21st, 2015, 10:47 AM
First Mate

Travelbuggs, which ship was your favorite. I am going on my first NCL cruise in May; have only been with RCI. If I enjoy NCL and the freestyle I may book another ship. I loved Allure of the Seas; which I suppose Breakaway and Getaway are similar; but I also enjoy the smaller ships like Splendor of the Seas; which I will be on Jade, I assume is similar to Splendor since they have almost identical itineraries. Thanks for any feedback

Old January 21st, 2015, 05:23 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimmyK View Post
Travelbuggs, which ship was your favorite. I am going on my first NCL cruise in May; have only been with RCI. If I enjoy NCL and the freestyle I may book another ship. I loved Allure of the Seas; which I suppose Breakaway and Getaway are similar; but I also enjoy the smaller ships like Splendor of the Seas; which I will be on Jade, I assume is similar to Splendor since they have almost identical itineraries. Thanks for any feedback
Our favorites have been the ships which still have the almost 360* round forward facing lounges. I know the Sun still has hers, but I have lost track of which of the few others still remain. They have sadly been removed to make way for more suite space.

It is hard to choose. We have not had a bad cruise. If you like the Allure, then you would probably most enjoy one of the new ships. We did love the layout of the Getaway with the Waterfront area and all the various entertainment offered. There is recent info out on what will be new and different on the Escape, which will have the same basic layout of the Breakaway/Getaway. The entertainment sounds especially interesting. Are you already booked?
Old January 25th, 2015, 11:41 AM
First Mate

Travelbuggs, we are just booked for B2B on Jade this May. 14 nights in the Med; sailing out of Venice. If we like NCL after this we may book one of the bigger ships.

Old January 25th, 2015, 07:03 PM
Admiral

Default Oval sinks don't hold as much water as square sinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
Oval sinks? I wasn't aware that square sinks were superior for hand and face washing!

Are you maybe referring to the cabin design of the Epic? There is a story behind the acquisition of the Epic, the details of which I don't recall, but I believe NCL purchased the ship after design was completed and it was already in construction. Cabin design was not my favorite, but I enjoyed many other aspects of the ship. It's cabin design is more appropriate for European travelers, who would not blink at a sink in the cabin, and it should do well on it's new itinerary.
If you have cruised on the Epic or Breakaway you will know why oval sinks are not the best design for sinks on a ship.
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:08 AM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
If you have cruised on the Epic or Breakaway you will know why oval sinks are not the best design for sinks on a ship.
I have been on the Epic, and the sink location near the foot of the bed dictates that it must be very small, and I really don't know if a square shape would hold any more water. I never really "fill" the sink. It is not my favorite design, but it is certainly not a deal breaker, as except for sleeping and changing clothes we were out and about or maybe on the balcony.

The Breakaway and Getaway have a totally different cabin design, so their bathroom layout is very similar to any other ships. We loved our Getaway M6 minisuite with double sinks and huge multi jet shower.