Old June 21st, 2015, 12:44 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Cool First Timer On NCL Breakaway! Eager and Excited...With A Few Questions!

Hello, fellow Norwegians

My name is Adam (25) and I am a young entrepreneur from Toronto, Canada who will be travelling with one of my best friends, Kate (26) on the 8/2-8/9 Sailing of the NCL Breakaway.

We are both incredibly excited and while Kate has been on a numer of cruises growing up, this will be my first! I actually booked first, choosing NCL for it's Studio cabins (which Kate and I have each booked for ourselves) as well as for the fact this cruise has 3 days in Bermuda.

I'm going to be posting in a roll call thread seperately, but figured I would ask here as well about a few questions I have:

Q1) How do holds on credit cards typically work for onboard spending? I believe I will be using a MasterCard for my voyage; however this works similarly to a debit card. As such, I wish to ensure I allocate funds properly for all/any authorizations placed on my account

Q2) I am rather anxious about the Vibe Beach Club passes. As we arrive to Newark on a flight landing at 9:30; we likely would be at the port for 11:00AM at the earliest. I presume that my chances of a pass are slim given this situation. Has anyone on previous Breakaway/Getaway/Epic sailings had any experience here?

I do plan to also/alternatively get a spa pass. Has anyone had experience with the "sell out" situation here?

Q3) Does the Spice H20 pool often reach maximum capacity early in the day? I would presume it does. In Spice, are any appetizers/entrees served or exclusively drinks?

Q4) Are there any staff members/crew who it would be of benefit to introduce myself to? I ask not only in the sense of those who may assist with accomdating any special requests, but also because I have a nut allergy. While I am generally very careful of my dining choices and steer clear of "risky" items; I do like to take any precautions I can without causing an inconvenience to the staff.

Q5) For the Spa, do treatments include a facilities pass? Similarly, are weekly pass holders eligible for any price breaks/discounts?

Q6) Has anyone attended previous NCL (or Breakaway) FOD/LGBT gatherings? Kate and I are both "family" - so would be great to meet others attending on board. To my understanding, these events are not on the main daily activities list but rather on the guest services bulletin board?

So excited! I can't wait to attend the Meet & Greet and meet some of my fellow cruisers - not to mention joining the ranks of "cruise afficionado" rather than my current status as "cruise rookie" :-)

Best,
Adam
Old June 28th, 2015, 09:11 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatb0yadamh View Post
Hello, fellow Norwegians

My name is Adam (25) and I am a young entrepreneur from Toronto, Canada who will be travelling with one of my best friends, Kate (26) on the 8/2-8/9 Sailing of the NCL Breakaway.

We are both incredibly excited and while Kate has been on a numer of cruises growing up, this will be my first! I actually booked first, choosing NCL for it's Studio cabins (which Kate and I have each booked for ourselves) as well as for the fact this cruise has 3 days in Bermuda.

I'm going to be posting in a roll call thread seperately, but figured I would ask here as well about a few questions I have:

Q1) How do holds on credit cards typically work for onboard spending? I believe I will be using a MasterCard for my voyage; however this works similarly to a debit card. As such, I wish to ensure I allocate funds properly for all/any authorizations placed on my account

Q2) I am rather anxious about the Vibe Beach Club passes. As we arrive to Newark on a flight landing at 9:30; we likely would be at the port for 11:00AM at the earliest. I presume that my chances of a pass are slim given this situation. Has anyone on previous Breakaway/Getaway/Epic sailings had any experience here?

I do plan to also/alternatively get a spa pass. Has anyone had experience with the "sell out" situation here?

Q3) Does the Spice H20 pool often reach maximum capacity early in the day? I would presume it does. In Spice, are any appetizers/entrees served or exclusively drinks?

Q4) Are there any staff members/crew who it would be of benefit to introduce myself to? I ask not only in the sense of those who may assist with accomdating any special requests, but also because I have a nut allergy. While I am generally very careful of my dining choices and steer clear of "risky" items; I do like to take any precautions I can without causing an inconvenience to the staff.

Q5) For the Spa, do treatments include a facilities pass? Similarly, are weekly pass holders eligible for any price breaks/discounts?

Q6) Has anyone attended previous NCL (or Breakaway) FOD/LGBT gatherings? Kate and I are both "family" - so would be great to meet others attending on board. To my understanding, these events are not on the main daily activities list but rather on the guest services bulletin board?

So excited! I can't wait to attend the Meet & Greet and meet some of my fellow cruisers - not to mention joining the ranks of "cruise afficionado" rather than my current status as "cruise rookie" :-)

Best,
Adam

Wow, that's a ton of questions, but I'll try. Have not been on the Breakaway, but on the sister ship the Getaway.

1) Holds on credit cards. Do you have a low line of credit limit on your card? We do not and have therefore never given this a thought. The only thing I have heard repeatedly is not to use a Debit Card for your on board expenses. But this does not sound like the case with you. Perhaps someone else can provide more info. I do know that you can also place a cash deposit, so maybe a cash deposit with the card for back up if you are really concerned.

2) Vibe passes. Never tried for them. Just depends how many on your sailing are interested and how quickly they arrive for boarding. I have heard some reports of late boarders getting them. Best advice, go straight to guest services upon boarding. Make sure you are in the right line and hope for the best. But if you miss out, plenty of other places to enjoy, like the Waterfront areas and Spice H20.

3) Spice H20 pool? I confess I did not know they had one? I was thinking hot tubs only. But max capacity? Not sure what you mean. Might it be crowded at times? Yes. Do they turn people away? No. On Getaway, the couple times we were there, it was not very crowded during the day. There is a bar, no food served, but there is a food venue right next door, don't recall the name. Or you can carry food from the buffet. I believe there is still pizza for delivery anywhere on board.

4) Re your nut allergy, I highly recommend contacting the Special Needs Department pre cruise and informing them. I read a report recently of someone's experience with this ( they were vegan, not really an allergy, but it would work the same ). Someone will meet with you at the start of the cruise to go over menus, and perhaps even daily to talk about your dining plans for the evening. I'm sure you will have their number to call should dining plans change or you have any questions. The kitchen will even prepare dishes just for you to meet your needs.

5) The Spa. No passes included with treatments. No price break for treatments for pass holders. Not sure why, but maybe because the area with the therapy pools, etc, belong to Norwegian, while there is another company ( like Mandara ) who actually runs the area doing the massages, etc. They do offer specials in the spa. You will see flyers in the cabin during the week. You might conside a spa pass in lieu of a Posh pass. Just go to the spa after lunch on boarding day and they will give you a tour and you can purchase them.

6) Never attended one of these meetings, but I do believe meeting times and social gatherings are listed every day in the Freestyle Daily. I recall seeing coctail gatherings listed for the bars as well. I would not be surprised if many "family" members were booked in the Studio cabins as well. And they do have a get together pre dinner daily in your Studio lounge.

Do attend the (Cruise Critic) Meet and Greet on the morning of the first sea day if you can. All the senior staff ( including the kitchen ) will be there. They hand out cards with direct phone numbers to be of assistance.

Enjoy your cruise!