Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2003, 08:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Regatta in September

I will be going on the Regatta in September. Really looking forward to it.

Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2003, 11:16 PM
SSinCT

Default Re: Regatta in September

My parents have cruised frequently but are not online chatters...they want to know to should they try Oceania. They just sailed Norwegian Star in Hawaii and loved it and have had good experiences with Holland America, Princess too. Mom is worried that this ship is small (will they feel the motion....) I noticed the promo on the Mexican Riveria and was suggesting they try it. Any feedback on the line? Thanks!
Old August 25th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Frank

Hi Paul,

Which cruise in Spetember? We're on the BCN to VCE departing 9/27 ...

Frank and Joan
Old August 27th, 2003, 08:27 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Regatta in September

We are on the London to Barcelona cruise, but we are departing early, in Seville. It begins on September 13.

Old August 27th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Administrator
Admiral

The ship is a wee bit smaller than those others they have tried, but that is really not a factor in feeling the motion of ship as much as what the cruising region and whether are like.

The Mexican Riviera is generally a very smooth cruise except for the waters around Los Angeles. That means you might feel the motion the first night after dinner (but on the way back you will be in bed). Other than that it is "almost always usually" smooth sailing for the entire voyage.

And the size of the ship will not affect it. I have been on these Oceania ships (or identical) two times before and I never even remember feeling much motion at all during those two cruises.

And I predict they will find other things they love about being on small ship as opposed to being on a bigger one, like shorter lines, less crowded and being quieter.

Old August 27th, 2003, 09:34 PM
First Mate

Paul:

Glad there has been a flurry of activity on this message board.

We all love the opportunity to share travel information and many of us are real cheerleaders for these 640 pax ships.

I look forward to meeting you on board the Regatta on Sept 13. As I've mentioned to a couple of other fellow cruisers: The dollar is up. The temperatures are down. Life is good.

Marilyn
Old August 29th, 2003, 12:50 AM
SSinCT

Thanks Paul for the feedback! I'll pass along to my parents. Sharon
Old August 29th, 2003, 07:54 AM
Passenger

I too am glad for you on the flurry of activity..this is a wonderful cruise line and deserves all the interest it can get!!
Jan
Old August 29th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Marilyn... you are going to be on Regatta for that cruise? Wow, cool!

Old August 29th, 2003, 11:06 PM
First Mate

Yes I am . . . and now we get ice cream.

Marilyn
Old August 31st, 2003, 10:32 AM
Candice

Default Regatta in September

Paul,

If you can swing it, I would highly recommend that you spend a few days post cruise in Barcelona. It's an awesome city.

Our cruise docked in Cadiz for 2 days and one of those days we went to Seville. It's a lovely city, but it was 110 degree's the day we were there, so I"m sure you'll enjoy it more than I did. If you're in Cadiz for an evening, have dinner at El Faro......absolutely incredible food.
We had a Tapas lunch in Seville that was just fantastic. The place is called Giralda and the address is Mateos Gago, No. 1. It's close to the Alcazar-Cathedral. They spoke very little english and we couldn't read the menu's. We used sign language, pointing and a few common words and had a fantastic lunch. Beware that the seafood items are sold by the gram, not by the plate, so be careful or you could wind with a hefty bill for things like shrimp/lobster. Other than those items, prices are extremely reasonable.

If one of your ports offers a trip to the Allhambre in Granada, don't miss it if you've never seen it. It's the one shore excursion I recommend that you take with Oceania and not on your own. Too much travel and work to get tickets, etc.

Candice
Old September 1st, 2003, 11:39 AM
Jana Jones

Candice,

Do you know if anyone went to Jerez from Cadiz? I want to go to some of the wineries there; since we are going to Bordeaux, Oporto and Cadiz/Andalucia, I figure I should maximize the wine-maiking experience and learn as much as I can about the different types.

I REALLY wanted to stay over in Barcelona post-cruise too. It is an incredible city; I haven't been there for years and years. Alas, I am leaving early on our debarkation day

Jana
Old September 1st, 2003, 06:34 PM
Candice

Jana,

I believe that the general consensus of the Jerez tour was "yawn". Don't bother. If anyone has any contrary opinions, please jump in!

Unfortunately, we were in Oporto on a rainy Sunday and many things were closed. We did take the ships tour of chruches and monuments which finished up with a tour of only one Port Winery, Calem. That was interesting and they concluded the tour with 3 tastings, one being white port. I never knew there was such a thing, but we liked it and bought a few bottles.

BTW, are you planning on buying some ports and want to save money? In Lisbon, there's a store called Jumbo, you'll see them all over town. They're like a Sam's Price Club. We had our guide take us there and we bought all the good name brand ports for half of what they sell them for in the port shops in Lisbon and Oporto. We also stocked up on some nice table wines for our cabin for under 5 Euros each. I bought a good Port for 9 Euro's that was selling at the Port store for 20 Euro's (and probably 35-40 dollars in the US).

We had a fantastic guide in Lisbon that we hired from the pier. If you'd like his name and local phone number, I'd be happy to give it to you. He was delightful and his english was excellent.

Candice
7/5 inaugural
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:20 AM
Claudiafr

Another FABULOUS restaurant in Seville is La Raza.. unbelievable delicious!
If I was going I'd make a point to lunch there ( again)..
Old September 4th, 2003, 09:27 AM
Claudiafr

We went on a tour of Jerez years ago. Basically the tour consists of a visit to Tito Jerez sherry company ( you get a few small tastes) and then you walk into their "store" top buy..
Wouldn't waste my money on that tour ..
In the port of Cadiz there are a zillion taxi drivers waiting to take you on private tours.. If Jerez is on your list would go with one of them.. in & out & be able to see other things.
or forget it and go to Seville!
In Oporto you can take the ship transfer into town ( there is a bus for I think 10$ roundtrip per person that drops you off at a certain location in the center of town and then you can walk down to the river area where all the port tasting rooms are. The river area is wonderful , lots of restaurants ( open air).. pretty!
Old September 4th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Brenda Katz

Default Re: Re: Re: Regatta in September

Candice,
My husband are on the Oct 25 Barcelona to Lisbon. We are going in early to Barcelona and staying a few days extra in Lisbon. I would be very interested in your guide's name and any other suggestions you might have. I have taken note of your restaurant suggestions. We booked this trip so long ago and now it is coming up quickly and I need to get my act together!!

Thanks,
Brenda
Old September 6th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Jana Jones

Default Re: Re: Re: Regatta in September

Thank you Candice and Claudia! I had planned on taking the train to Jerez and visiting the winery that has the horse show too. I might rent a car in Cadiz and just drive around since I also want to go to Rondo.

Now another question: I can't tell from the photos where (or if!) there are dressers in the cabins. Are the only drawers in the desk? Or are they under the TV near the closet? Or are there none at all? How is closet and drawer space in the cabins?

Jana
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:53 PM
Candice

Hi Jana,

If you want you can take the train from CAdiz to Jerez, it's just a few stops. Of course, when you got there, you'd have to hire a taxi.

Candice
Old September 9th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Claudia

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Regatta in September

Hi Jana,
Depends on the cabins, but there are drawers inside the closets ..
Old September 9th, 2003, 07:25 PM
Jana Jones

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Regatta in September

Thank you both.

Claudia, it's a B cabin. Deck six.

Jana
Old September 16th, 2003, 04:33 PM
Rich Wong

Default Re: Regatta in September - storage spaces

Hi Jana - we had a cabin identical to yours on Deck 7. When you enter the room, the bathroom is on one side, and a full-length double-door wardrobe is on the other (for dresses, pants, and coats). The wardrobe has wire racks on the inside of the doors for socks, belts, and scarves, and comes equipped with enough wooden hangars to make Joan Crawford a contented woman.

Adjacent to the large wardrobe is a smaller single-door wardrobe with a half-length rack (for shirts and blouses). The lower half of that wardrobe is composed of four or five slide-out drawers. Next to that is the TV console, featuring a TV on the top shelf, a mid-height door hiding a safe, and two more shelves hidden behind the door on the bottom.

The writing desk also came equipped with another half-dozen sliding drawers, and each of the two nightstands had two shelves for reading material. (I always keep a flashlight in mine, because you never know when there's going to be a power outage at night - we experienced one aboard the Regatta last week, but fortunately it took place during daylight). I'd also recommend bringing an illuminated clock radio so you can see what time it is - those blackout curtains were pretty effective!!!

Richard

P.S. Believe it or not, some passengers tried to stow suitcases behind the staircases in the public areas of the ship! Either they weren't aware that they can be slid under the beds, or it's a sign they brought too much luggage. After all, the dress code IS country club casual.