Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 5th, 2004, 04:19 PM
anubis

Default Regatta-Stock to Dover

Regatta is a beautiful ship. The penthouse cabin was terrific. That, my friends ends the good news. 1_ Food and service are mediocre to OK. Servers, for the most part while being very pleasant are untrained. Staff is trained to say no to requests like a special meal, or coffee in one room rather than another. I overcame this problem but its a lot of work. The Gen. Mgr, Mr. Volpe, is intimidating and confrontive; with a cavalier attitude. He'd be better fitted to a Motel 6.

We avoided the cattle car embarking by not going on the scheduled flights. Even with a huge payment to do that it was a hassle to get anything done which was the case for anything one wanted done before boarding.

The ship has too many rules, all of which make it easier for them to "handle" you and create inconvenience for you They create lines out of nowhere. The fun is avoiding those lines. The butler is a joke. Close to worthless even if you push him. We had to take care of dinners, disembarkment, requests by ourselves as no one pays attention to thre "butlers". Staff is very nice that's not enough at $1000 per day.

They try to rip you off at every turn. Price of the water, internet useage, tours etc. We took only one tour which was over priced and under guided. The rest we did privately. Even the Captain's welcoming party gave one glass of Champagne and a few canapes before launching into a full time sales spiel for anotherr cruise.

Entertainment, with rare exception was embarrassing. Bars are very amateurish and expensive. Many drinks are not served properly

The height of annoyance occured when we went to get our passports on the penultimate evening. We were told they had been picked up. This was upsetting. After much harangueing a person came out and said we had a $76 deficit on our bill. Even if this were the case, which it was not, we had a $76 credit., why wouldn't they call a "GUEST" instaed of studiously embarassing them and holding them up during disembarkation. This sums up the ship's feeling for me. It is basically 2nd class in everything but the ship itself and iyts advertising agency. Value on a scale of 1 to 10 is a 4 at best. Caveat emptor.
Sponsored Links
Old July 6th, 2004, 09:49 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Regatta-Stock to Dover

We were on the Regatta, Stockholm to Dover and it seems as if we were on a different cruise than you. We also had a Penthouse Suite and our butler took care of dining reservations, shore excursions and anything else we asked of him. To us, and we have cruised on many lines and have taken over 20 cruises, the staff was wonderful. The service in all the dining venues was excellent. We never had to wait in line for the Grand Dining room and any requests were honored. I agree, that the shore excursions were way too expensive and we only took the one in Gdansk due to a short stay in port. My husband and I and most of the people we talked with totally enjoyed the entertainment. How many ships have a string quarted at high tea? The singers and orchestra were very good and for us after a port intensive cruise, perfect. The only line we encountered was in one port, which one I can't remember, where people pushed into line. The embarkation was smooth and the disembarkation was perfect. We were told that we should be disembarking at 7:20 and were called at that exact time. I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy your cruise, but we did and I'm sure many others did also.
Joan
Old July 6th, 2004, 10:12 AM
BryanL

Default Re: Regatta-Stock to Dover

I really dont know what Anubis is talking about.
My wife and I (mid 40's) were on the Stockholm to Dover cruise and it was by far the best cruise we have ever been on. Food, service, cabins and everything else were of exceptional quality. The only complaint we ever heard of was regarding excursions ( we did everything independently or through Red October in St Petes).
We have cruised on other lines and found Oceania to be the best in all respects. If their offering does not satisfy passengers then perhaps those folks should avoid cruising alltogether.
We cant wait to do another cruise on Oceania

Bryan and Karin
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:30 PM
anubis

Default Re: Re: Regatta-Stock to Dover

I guess taste is a bit like religion. One has to have faith. I have only my own opinions and tastes and wish they agreed with my corresp[ondents. Many other people on the cruise do agree with my review. How do you account for the passport handling I alluded to, or Mr, Volpes attitude which is mentioned by another reviewer. The string quartet I thought was awful. By the way I ate in Toscana many times and in Polo after encountering llines at the Grand. Maybe we were on different cruises. I'm glad you enjoyed yours.
Old July 6th, 2004, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: Re: Regatta-Stock to Dover

What cruise were you on? Certainly not the one I was on. We did not have to wait at all for tables in the Grand Dining Room. The food was fine. Our butler was most accomodating. Ask and you shall receive. He went out of his way to make us feel welcome.He made reservations at Polo, attended to flowers my wife bought, iced down champagne for us, took care of dry cleaning, etc. etc. Our buler was helping those who needed help at disembarkation.

Yes - some of the excursions were a bit pricey but as someone said, that is under your control. Study beforehand and do your own thing in the ports and you will be fine. Oceania helped us with maps and made local tourist information people available in many cities like Helsinki and Amsterdam.

We did Red October in St. Petersburg and they are excellent. But people who did the ship's tours in St. Petersburg were generally happy.

Those who wanted to drink a lot complained about the extra charge for liquor but we who drink little or in moderation do not like having to subsidize those that want expensive wines at dinner.

We talked to numerous people who booked additional cruises while onboard. I have to respectfully disagree with your harsh assessment.