Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 15th, 2004, 01:19 PM
Passenger

Default Teens on Summer Cruise to Europe

I have a cruise booked on Oceania to Europe for 26 days this summer, and will be bringing 3 young teens.
I know that this line is geared more for older adults, but they have never been ones to participate much in the youth activities on prior cruises. Has anyone cruised this line during the summer with kids? I'm also concerned about the length of the cruise. I would have preferred a shorter cruise, but we were presented with a deal we couldn't resist and will be seeing 7 different countries. I think it will be a great educational experience for the kids, as they are old enough to appreciate the shore excursions. Any thoughts from experienced cruisers to Europe with kids would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old March 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM
tom o

Default Re: Teens on Summer Cruise to Europe

hi momof4:

i've got two teens on oceania this summer as well (6/15 -- stockholm to dover). we've cruised several times with them, but never in europe. one has been to europe with school for five weeks. i think the biggest issue will be whether there are other teens for them to hang with periodically. it seems like this cruise lone does not orient itself to families. (this was the main reason we booked on it.) my kids know this is a special event for the family, but i know they will have more fun if they can spend some time with other teens.

good luck.
Old March 23rd, 2004, 10:25 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is Off of there web-site:

CHILDREN. On all Oceania Cruises, children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or other responsible adult over the age of 25. We do not provide services for the care, entertainment or supervision of children and we reserve the right to limit the number of children on board under the age of 18 years.

Barry
Old March 27th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Passenger

As long as your teens think of this trip as a learning experience, and not "fun time"--they will be OK. We are in our 50's and we thought the ship was a little boring at times. There is no disco, video games, or much of anything for the younger set. They will have to be satisfied with ping pong, the library, and in room movies. The nightly entertainment when we were on the Regatta (3 weeks ago) was: a concert violinist, a concert pianist, an older lady singing Broadway show tunes, an opera singer, a classical guitarist, and a comedian in his 70's thats jokes were about ****** and constipation. The dancing around the ship was cha cha, rhumba, fox trot and waltz. On our sold out cruise, I would say there were two people under 21 (kids of the classical guitarist), 20 people in their 20-s and 30's, 40 people in their 40's, 150 in their 50's, 150 in their 60's, and 300 in their 70's or older. If the kids are busy all day on tours, possibly the lack of anything to do at night won't be a problem. Oceania doesn't prohibit kids, but they offer nothing for them to do. Hope this isn't scaring you off, but I'm trying to paint an accurate picture of the demographics. Martha. Ps- I hope your kids appreciate this fabulous opportunity to see Europe!
Old May 19th, 2004, 02:00 PM
Frequent Cruiser

I don't want to be aboard a ship with bored teen-agers. That's a recipe for disaster.
Old May 28th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Richard Wong Send a message via Yahoo to Richard Wong

We had a handful of well-behaved teens on our recent cruise on the Insignia, and they didn't appear to be bored at all. They went on shore excursions during the day, played board games (e.g. Scrabble) in the afternoons, and danced in the disco at night. There was also the pool, the ping pong table, the golf driving range, and shuffleboard competitions for the more active ones. Oceania doesn't solicit families travelling with teens, but they don't bar them either. If your teens can keep themselves busy, they'll be fine. Also, some of the ship's cruise staff seems to be not too far out of their teen years, so your kids might have fun hanging out with them.