Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 10th, 2004, 02:40 PM
L. Wilson

Default Gdansk, Poland

I haven't had too much luck getting answers to a former question on this board, but I'm going to try again with a new one. Hope someone can help.

We are doing the Dover to Stockholm Cruise departing on June 1st. One of the ports is Gdansk, Poland. I have done a little research on most of the other ports and have an idea of things we might like to do on our own while in there, but I'm having trouble finding information for Gdansk. We are doing most stops on our own or teaming up with fellow cruisers.

Is there anyone out there that has been to Gdansk that might be able to give me some ideas about the best way to get from the ship into the city and where I might find information on things to do while there? Things like maps, time and money saving tips, walking tours and must see sites come to mind.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old May 10th, 2004, 11:15 PM
Passenger

Default Re: Gdansk, Poland

We are on the reverse cruise 7/13. We will take a taxi or bus 10km to a lovely seaside resort area called Sopot. It is written up in the March 2004 Conde Nast Traveler. Since we are only in Gdynia where the ship docks for 6 hours, it doesn't make sense to go any further.

Sopot has a web-site. Check it on Google.
Old May 12th, 2004, 10:28 AM
L. Wilson

Default Re: Re: Gdansk, Poland

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds like a good idea. I'll check out the website for Sopot.
Old May 12th, 2004, 11:38 PM
First Mate

We visited Gdansk during our Baltic cruise on Ren in 2001. It was the only ship's tour we took. We didn't have any "tourist" information about the area and were concerned we wouldn't "learn" anything if we got a taxi driver who didn't speak English. So, we opted for the big bus.

It is a charming place. The architecture on the main street reminded me of Amsterdamn (without the canals). The people of Gdansk voted to tax themselves in order to create a fund to restore their city to its former glory. As you know, Poland has had a turbulant past.

I'm sure Sopot is lovely. I'm just not a beach person. Not every Baltic cruise docks at Gdynia. I am so glad ours did and we had the opportunity to see Gdansk. Just my opinion, of course.
Old May 13th, 2004, 10:27 PM
L. Wilson

Thank you for your thoughts on our Stop in Gdansk. I, like, you didn't have much information on this port, but now I have had three responses to my query. I'm sure we will enjoy our short visit there.

Thanks again
Old June 10th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Howard Pomerantz

We are taking the same cruise and I have been doing a lot of research and also could find precious little on Gdansk. Here are two URLs that may be of some help to you.

http://www.fzc.dk/thomas/Gdansk02.asp
http://www.biega.com/npolandtour2.html

Since I couldn't find anything out about transfers we decided to take the Gdansk tour which includes a walking tour of the old city and free time.

If you find anything more please let me know and I will share anything I may find.
Old June 11th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Frank Black

I was in Gdansk on Millennium a few years ago. We hired a taxi for a half day from the pier. It is a 45 minute ride to Gdansk. The driver did not speak English either. As I recall it was very inexpensive per hour. Gdansk is very nice with lots of shops and old world charm.
Old June 27th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Joanne and Joe

Hello,

My husband and I are on the 7/13 sailing also. Would you like to share cab rides?

jsp
Old July 2nd, 2004, 12:42 AM
Tropic

Default Re: Re: Re: Gdansk, Poland

We were in Gdansk last summer. The Constellation ported in Gdania and there were taxis and/or vans available right on the dock. We (6 of us) hired a van for $30 each and had the van and driver for the day. He took us past Gdansk across the countryside to Malboork Castle... saw storks along the way and was really impressed with the countryside of Poland. Malbork Castle was fascinating and huge. Then back to Gdansk along the main canal and shopping area...lots of people out for a Sunday stroll and other sites on the way back. Worth every penny and would have had to pay that much for a taxi to Gdansk. You should enjoy .
Old July 4th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Passenger

We were on the June 15 Regatta Baltic cruise. Since the ship was only in port for 6 hours, we took the ship's tour and were very happy with it. It was a walking tour of Gdansk with a wonderful guide. We had plenty of free time and there was no worry about getting back to the ship on time.
Joan