Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 4th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Caralyn

Default Age of Passengers???

While I truly enjoy time and conversation with people of all ages, I find going on a vacation that I seek people more my age. My husband and I are late 30's early 40's, active cigar smoking scotch drinking folks looking for a vacation and I'm fearful we will be younger than the majority of the guests. Can anyone comment on this? I went on the Regatta a few years ago before it was Oceania Cruises and found average age well above 60 - although I enjoyed the cruise and met some lovely people, it was not what I would want again.

Any feedback? I'm planning on going on the Regatta Miami to Miami down the coast of Central America on Nov. 13th.
Sponsored Links
Old August 4th, 2004, 09:28 AM
rkamen

Default Re: Age of Passengers???

For what it's worth - any cruise over 7 days (typical working week) tends to get an older crowd. The longer the cruise, the older the crowd.

We are in our mid 50's and virtually never take a cruise less than 10 days. We have sailed practically all of the major lines. Usually at embarkation, we size up the crowd and alawys feel we are way too young for this group. We are extremely active - use the gym, jogging/prommande decks, I smoke cigars in the evening, and we rarely retire to our cabin before 1am. On a lot of the ships, we sort of "lock up the place, and turn out the lights".

I would think that on the Regatta, you will get an older crowd than the 30's and 40's you are looking for, but they will be a more upscale group than on Royal Caribbean or other mass market lines. That should be a plus in meeting and mingling with fellow passengers.

Ever try a "super bargain cruise" on an off week? It's like fighting for a place in line at the local nursing home. It could be disheartening. Like some of the crew members comment, "this trip is for newly weds and nearly deads".
Old August 4th, 2004, 10:17 AM
Beatrice

Default Re: Age of Passengers???

Besides the age question I think you shoul be aware that cigar smoking is going to be a problem on Regatta. The smoking rules are strictly enforced and cigar and pipe smoking are only allowed in a small area on the pool deck. Cigarettes are also allowed in a small area in one of the bars (forget which one). No smoking in cabins or on verandas. You may already have factored this in to your plans. If so forgive the repition.
We did a Miami - Miami last November that gave a taste of the Panama Canal (went about half way through before turning back) and enjoyed it thoroughly.
Beatrice
Old August 5th, 2004, 09:32 PM
Caralyn

Default Re: Re: Age of Passengers???

I haven't done a bargain cruise - but I've heard the horror stories. Thanks for your frank info. I'll hope to find a few "young'ins" in the crowd!
Old August 6th, 2004, 01:36 PM
Catman

Default Re: Re: Age of Passengers???

I think RKamen summed it up well. Based on our own experience and on information from fellow cruisers, the predominant age on Oceania seems to be in the 60's with some 50's and 70's. Longer and more costly cruises tend to attract older people.

If you want to party with younger people, you should consider lines such as Disney and Carnival but you should also be prepared to share the pool and other facilities with kids and teens. By the way, Celebrity has a very attractive special lounge for cigar smokers.