Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2006, 04:31 PM
Beginner

Default Stockholm to London Aug 29, 2006

My wife and I are booked on the Regatta for a Stockholm to London cruise on Aug 29, 2006.
- We would like any information about this cruise. In particular, info about shore excursions -- recomendations (does & don'ts, etc.).
- Are the Oceania Discovery and Explorer Collection packages good or bad?
- Is it a good idea to pick up local tours or stick with the ships tours?
- Are seperate tours in St Petersburg good deals? Which are the best?
Sponsored Links
Old January 2nd, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Depending on how you travel ..you may want to do your own excursion or private tours.
For Russia I have hear Red October and Denrus give good service.
If you check some of the other message boards you may find someone to share the tours and expenses.

As for the Discovery Packages you usually only get one chice of tour per port ..so if they are all suited to your interests it may be the way to go.
Book your own air, go a day or 2 before the cruise to get over the jet -lag.

Book your own hotel and transfers ..it will be much cheaper than Oceania's package.
Enjoy the cruise
Old January 24th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Beginner

Hi, My husband and I did this same cruise on the Regatta. Oceania's prices for excurtions and land packages are overpriced. We made all our own air and hotel reservations. We did our own thing in each and every port. We had a blast in St. Petersburg!! Of course, get your Russian Visa so you can go out on your own. Everyday when we would return from our own adventures all we heard were complaints from other passengers about Oceania's excurtions. I suggest do your research ahead of time for Russia. We didn't, but still saw everything the other passengers saw on Oceania's excurtions. Oceania destinations staff will tell you it is dangerous in Russia and out and out LIE about what each port has to offer for independant people. In Russia we walked off the ship and there were several Taxi's waiting at the dock. Oceania said there were none. We hired one Taxi for all 3 days. Ivan was our driver and he spoke English. He got us back stage passes to the Ballet and special tours at Pushkin etc. In Poland Oceania said there were no Taxis.....got off the ship and there were about 25 lined up to greet us. Other people we traveled with hired a private guide for St. Petersburg for $30/day. If you are with a Russian citizen they can get you into all the castles etc and you don't have to wait for the once a day foreign tour. The also know the metro for getting around the city. They found their guides on line. One gu
Old January 26th, 2006, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Personally, I recommend setting up your own shore tours. Oceania does an ok job, but it's much more fun to go sightseeing on your own. One note of caution: if you get stuck ashore, the ship will leave without you. In the daily program you'll find the phone number of the cruise line's port agent, so always take this with you.

I understand that only 30% of Oceania's passengers buy tours, the rest make their own arrangements. Search Google for English-speaking local tour guides in the ports you'll visit.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old February 12th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Beginner

Default private tours in the baltic ports

I agree. Going independent is really worth it!
Here are a couple of links i think may be useful:
http://privatetours.ee for private tours in Tallinn
http://www.travelinrussia.com in St. Petersburg and Moscow if you decide to hop there for a day (lots of fun!) These guys also have a nice travel section on their site which can give you an idea of things to do and see.
Old March 18th, 2006, 09:22 AM
Beginner

Albert1 - We too are booked on Regatta August 29, 2006 Stockholm to Dover. Have you yet decided on shore excursions? We pretty much have most details nailed down for the cruise including pre/post Stockholm and London stays. We booked our own air and are now finalizing tour arrangements for St Petersburg with DenRus. We're looking forward to this trip and especially the 3 busy days in St Petersburg. So far - you are the only others we've seen booked for this cruise. SeaFish[/b]