Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2006, 08:53 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kretmier
Default Handicapped access on Insignia

My mother is contemplating a mother/daughter cruise with her sisters and their (adult) daughters. Her sisters are all in relative good health. My mom is not. She requires oxygen 100% of the time. She would also need to rent or use a wheelchair or scooter for walking around the ship and shore excursions. Oceania has assured us that this won't be a problem. Does anybody have any kind of experience with sailing as a handicapped person on the Insignia? I will appreciate any information you might be able to share.

She really wants to take this trip - it's probably not the best time for her to be taking a European vacation - but there are no guarantees that her health will improve.

Thanks so much.

Kathy
Sponsored Links
Old March 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
Passenger

Hi Kathy,
I sailed on the Insignia last November and do recall seeing some folks with physical challenges.

The one suggestion I would make is that you rent a scooter before leaving home. It would simplify things in terms of not having to rent or find places, and then you know you have it.

I know some other cruise lines require Medical Release forms for bringing oxygen onboard, be sure to check with your TA or the cruise line to see if you need to do this to have oxygen supplied and brought onboard.

Have a wonderful time, it is a terrific cruise line and a family girls' cruise sounds like great fun!
Old March 15th, 2006, 03:28 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to kretmier

Hi Cathy - Thanks so much for your encouragement! I will show your note to mom.

I am actually the travel agent! http://www.mvcruiseplanners.com. . .but have not yet cruised in Europe. We did the QM2 - a crossing and had hideous luck with pre-ordered oxygen. So - I'm ready for 'em this time. It would be so awesome to have a scooter - but I plan to use an Italian company to rent both items. I have some names....and a bit of time (which is always nice!).

So grab your mom - or your daughter and come with us!!!

Thanks again. Kathy