Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 4th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Beginner

Default Lost Luggage

Our recent Mediterranean cruise on the M/S Regatta commenced on an extremely negative note. We arrived at the Barcelona Airport, no problem, claimed all four pieces of our luggage and personally handed it off, as instructed, to an Oceania porter. That was the last we saw of our two large suitcases for three days. During the early evening hours of the first night of our cruise, our plight was met with total indifference and absolutely no help by an uncooperative female person at the reception desk on the ship.

We spent a good portion of the second day of our cruise dealing with the Concierge, who was helpful, but apparently had no authority to do anything to assist us in obtaining basic necessities and a few articles of clothing. Each time we made a request, he stated he would “have to check with Miami.� At this point we had no idea if we’d ever see our luggage again, which contained just about all of our clothing, including undergarments, so we spent the rest of the day shopping in Toulon, France shopping for the basics, spending almost $400 out of our pocket. With the Conceirge's assistance our lost luggage was found and it “caught up with us� in Monaco, but we were out $400. and essentially lost the first two days of our long anticipated dream cruise. For our extreme inconvenience and expenses caused by Oceania personnel’s mistake we were given a grand total of $150. shipboard credit.

I wrote Oceania's Director of Guest Relations in Miami on two occasions requesting additional compensation since we lost two full days of our cruise. I was politely informed that this was not Oceania's mistake, so I can only assume that it was MY mistake for handing my luggage off to Oceania personnel, because I absorbed all the associated costs.

My wife and I have taken approximately 35 cruises since we started cruising in 1975 and have NEVER been met with such indifference to a problem. So, Cruisers beware...the ship is nice, the food is above average and the wait staff is attentive, BUT...don't expect anything if something doesn't go according to plan because it's simply not going to happen. Consequently, in the future we will be taking our three cruises a year on cruise lines other than Oceania.
Sponsored Links
Old September 4th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Yahoo to kitty2

Just wonder if your trip insurance covered lost/delayed baggage?

I would write to Mr Del Rio about the personnel onboard.

We found the cruise good but the office staff & destination services staff need better training.