Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Beginner

Default Oceania.."Free Air" promotion

Has anybody taken advantage of the "Free AIr" promotion with oceania?? Are they are multi-stop tickets ? If I don't like the flight itinery, I would have to pay the Air-Deviation fee and the Extra flight cost if I use their Free air service... So thinking it will it be better just to book my own flight..
ALso I got two different Quotes from my TA (with/without the free air)
any advice ?? thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 18th, 2006, 12:32 AM
Captain

You can take the air credit it varies by cruise destination.

You can pay the deviation fee $75. and pick your flights ...you may have to pay the difference if more than what they would get the bulk tickets for.

Most are the multi stop flights as any other cruiseline.

We paid the deviation fee plus $100. each for our flight to LHR
It was worth it for a non stop flight.

You can see how much it would cost for you to book your own air then decide which way to go ...deviation fee or take the air credit
Old January 2nd, 2007, 08:02 PM
Beginner

It all depends on the availability of direct flights from your home city. Do a little research online and see what direct flights are available and how much they are. Also ask your travel agent if they can get you a direct flight for less than the published fare that you find. Then you'll have to decide if the extra cost of a direct flight is worth the additional cost.
Old February 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Beginner

Daniel,

If you can live with the Free Air dates, why not ask to see the itinerary prior to making the booking, or make the booking with free air with the proviso that you will see the itinerary immediately and have the option of switching to cruise only. If flying exactly where and when is important to you and you book your own air, Oceania effectively penalizes you a couple of hundred dollars by reducing the cost of the package by an amount that is less than what you will have to pay for your air ticket. That's my take.

I am taking a cruise that does not offer free air. Because I would need a deviation, I decided to do the air myself. I believe they charge $75 per passenger just to research a deviation. In any case, I ended up with the shortest possible overall portal-to-portal trips and the exact times I wanted to fly. It probably cost $300 or so more than it would have by letting Oceania do it. But that was my decision based on my priorities.

Hope this helps you figure out what you want to do.

Sherm
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm
Daniel,

I am taking a cruise that does not offer free air. Because I would need a deviation, I decided to do the air myself. I believe they charge $75 per passenger just to research a deviation.

Sherm
You can choose the flights you want then see if their is an extra charge I don't think they charge the deviation fee untill you accept the flights but get your TA to check first.
The air credit may be enough to book your own flights
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Passenger

I think you will find the flights they choose are non-stop. The problem is that you cannot upgrade without paying an exorbitant amount. The advantage is that when you get off the plane you are transferred directly to the ship and the same on the return. Although they charge for transfers, unless you are going to get to the port a day or so earlier, you would have to arrange for your own transportation,etc.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:35 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauby
I think you will find the flights they choose are non-stop.
They buy the cheap bulk tickets & depending on where you are flying from/to it can be several connections or you can luck out & get a non-stop.
Transfers are not included

I would go a day or so early and pay the deviation fee to choose my flights.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Beginner

8) It would be great if their air was non-stop, but I've heard differently and heard that some of their options included several changes.
Maybe that's not the case if you're flying from JFK (which we are)
I've asked our TA to get us other possible flights, using the deviation option, and we're waiting for a reply.
Is there anyone who is taking the August 20th cruise, beginning in Istanbul? Would love to hear from you.
We've traveled, previously, on Regent and loved it, but this itinerary is so great that my husband really wanted to go.
The downside is that the cabins are really small compared to Regent, unless you get the PH (which are booked at this point) or the Owner's Suite.
But we have heard great things about this line and are really excited about the cruise.
Would appreciate any imput...
P.S.: my tag is my dog's name, in case you are wondering...
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:51 PM
Passenger

We've always used our own air. Oceania is only offering a $500 pp credit for air to Athens for next year. Friends doing a similar cruise this year receive a $1,000 pp credit for air. I'll still book my own air using mileage upgrades, but their credit is way too low.
Joan
Old April 9th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Beginner

I selected the Oceania free air, and just received the flight itinerary. Am very pleased with it. I'm flying from Miami to Stockholm, and there's one stop at JFK. The return flight is nonstop from London to Miami. I checked prices for booking air on my own, and it would have cost a lot more than the credit that Oceania would have given.
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:44 PM
Beginner

We are on the May 2008 cruise from Venice to Rome (2 for 1 and free airfrare). I researched air extensively and took the "free air credit". With taxes it was a wash as we had to pay a supplement to fly from Detroit to a major hub (I guess they don't use Northwest Airlines as it is the hub for Detroit... and a large one at that) - so we had a $150 pp charge to get us likely to Chicago.

In the end, I am glad we did take the credit as we have one stop (in Amsterdam) and since 2 of the 4 of us are Northwest WorldPerks Elite, then the miles will help on the back end.

Word to the wise... do your research and then make the decision best for you. In the end, I'd rather pay a bit extra to cut 4+ hours off one-way travel with the extra connections any day!
Old August 18th, 2008, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Default OCEANIA AND CRUISE MATE SEARCH

HI:

MY NAME IS MARILY AND I LIVE IN THE SAN FRANCISCO BAY AREA. I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST ON THE BOARD.....HOW DO I DO THIS AS I CAN'T FOLLOW THE HELP PROMPS....CONFUSING TO ME.

I AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO CRUISE WITH ON OCEANIA RT RIO DE JANIERO......seems like a good cruise line...i am single and need a cruise mate person......Please reply...thanks. Marilyn