Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 12th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Beginner

Default Experienced, but not with Oceania

We are experienced cruisers, but new to Oceania. Please let us know how you would rate Oceania as compared to Holland America.

Can anyone provide info on the quality of shore excursions in Europe?

How would you rate the food on board as compared to the private dinning rooms on other cruise lines.

We are considering a cruise on Oceania in the near future. Thank you for any info that you might provide.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Captain

it is hard to make comparisons... everyone has their own idea of what good food is & service
We found the food very good but heard a couple on the same cruise thought it was horrible and sent every dish back

The majority enjoyed the food
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:14 PM
Passenger

I am booked on a transatlantic cruise on Regatta, 3-23-07 - next month.
First time with Oceania. All cruise lines boasts of great food, service, itineries, etc. Here's what I know: I know a couple who has cruised on nothing but Oceania, and claim the food is fabulous as well as the other things I mentioned. The food on Celebrity is great! Princess (Princess Regal and Dawn) had to my surprise excellent food. NCL you can forget all about food. One cruise the food was terrible on the Norwegian Crown...so bad that I had hamburgers every day! Let me know about Holland America - I'm booked to Hawaii 10-11-07. Jini
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM
Passenger

We also are booked on Oceania for April, 2008 and have read so much about the food, service etc that I can hardly wait to board.

We have cruised extensively with HAL and have always found their food to be excellent. We have also cruised on Princess and we could not fault the service and food on our 21 days cruise on the Regal Princess last year. We have also been on the Pacific Princess and the Tahitian Princess and know what the ships are like. It will be interesting to see how Oceania has gained its high reputation and to compare the difference between the 3 lines, especially as we will be on the Tahitian Princess in June and have just had a cruise on the Pacific Princess last month.

I will be happy if the food is on a par with either of these lines.

Jennie
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jini
I am booked on a transatlantic cruise on Regatta, 3-23-07 - next month.
First time with Oceania. All cruise lines boasts of great food, service, itineries, etc. Here's what I know: I know a couple who has cruised on nothing but Oceania, and claim the food is fabulous as well as the other things I mentioned. The food on Celebrity is great! Princess (Princess Regal and Dawn) had to my surprise excellent food. NCL you can forgetave all about food. One cruise the food was terrible on the Norwegian Crown...so bad that I had hamburgers every day! Let me know about Holland America - I'm booked to Hawaii 10-11-07. Jini
The food on HAL in the Pinnacle Grill is excellent. We did not eat in the dinningroom, but the room service from the dinningroom was very good also. We have cruised on several HAL ships and would highly recommend them.

Please give us your thoughts on Oceana after your trip in October. Bon Voyage.
Old March 19th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Beginner

Default Re: Experienced, but not with Oceania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S

Can anyone provide info on the quality of shore excursions in Europe?

How would you rate the food on board as compared to the private dinning rooms on other cruise lines.
My wife and I sailed from Lisbon to London on the Insignia last summer and had a wonderful time.

We had not heard much good about their shore excursions but we found them to be pretty good and fairly priced. Though our expectations were not that high and we would say they definitely exceeded them. Probably on a par with other major lines.

We rate their food very highly and that will definitely bring us back to sail again. We thought dinners in the main dining room were better than what we'd experienced on HAL and Princess, on a par with Crystal and a notch below Silversea. NCL isn't even in the same league. They seemed to have a more sophisticated menu and a seemed much more made to order. The Polo grill wasn't that impressive to us...we didn't think the beef was all that good. The shrimp cocktail was to die for, so I'd get a double order next time. Toscanna was very good, but not that superior to the main dining room. Never experienced Tapas on the Terrace becasue we didn't care for the menu.

We ate breakfasts and lunches at the Terrace Cafe and enjoyed them. At breakfast they alway had smoked salmon available (my favorite) and had a great assortment of fresh fruits with a greater variety of berries than we've seen on other lined. At lunch we typically had as assortment. Their pizza was very good, though not as good as on Princess. The poolside grill (Waves) was excellent.

Other thoughts...we loved the casual dress code (it sure made packing simpler); the entertainment was better than we expected, though definitely not competitive with Princess, Crystal or HAL; we did book a PH to get what we considered a large enough cabin (think of that as a Princess minisuite with a butler); service was very good and the staff very friendly.

If you have any questions, just ask, but I hope this helps. I think you'll enjoy your cruise and want to sail Oceania again.