Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 16th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Beginner

Default Terrible Oceania Cruising

We travel several times a year and have taken over a dozen cruises. Our Oceania cruise from Istanbul to Venice in July of 2007 was the biggest disappointment in all our travels.
It started with trying to book extra days on both ends of our cruise. We and our travel agent (who owns her agency, lives next door, and has booked over fifty trips for us) had great difficulty dealing with Oceania with the flights. The results were horrible seats on very long flights.
We got food poisoning on our day at sea. There were missing or inoperable hand sanitizing stations throughout the ship. When we reported the food poisoning to the ships doctor we were charged $160.00 for basically nothing but a conversation. While there we pointed out the irony of the hand sanitizer not working. She grabbed it, took it to another room, and said “it was there to protect them not us.?
Our room was very noisy. The light from our neighbors shined into our room around the edges of the wall. The shower was the smallest shower we’ve ever dealt with. And we had brown water out of the faucets for several days of the trip.
The food, while well served and presented, was very inconstant - especially the desserts. You can only get into the nicer restaurants once unless you book an ultra suite or travel several times with Oceania. When we probed trying to get in again it was suggested we bribe the martre’d. Oceania’s “country club casual? is a lie. Bring all your jewelry and suits but you can leave your tie.
The tendering was horrible. It took hours to get off the boat. No service off the ship - no signs, no personnel, no help. Tenders broke down.
Through it all the officers and management were arrogant, aloof, and indifferent. No one accepted the slightest responsibility. After several days we asked to see the cruise manager and presented our complaints. He said he was sorry and I told how refreshing is was to at least hear someone from Oceania apologize. He quickly snapped that he wasn't apologizing for anything, he was just sorry that these things happened!
Save your money and go on a decent mid level line or spend a little more for real luxury. Oceania is a pretender. They should change their motto to "Your Money, Our Way".
Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Beginner

It's a pity you were so unhappy with Oceania. I took my first cruise with them last month, and had a wonderful experience, probably the best of any cruise I've taken. A very high number of the other passengers were repeat cruisers on Oceania, and loved Oceania.

In terms of the specialty restaurants, Oceania tells you up front that you have 2 guaranteed reservations for them. I was on a Celebrity cruise earlier this year, and was not able to get any reservations at all for the specialty restaurant, which they charge extra for. So in my view, Oceania is better since you don't pay extra, and you're guaranteed a reservation.
Old August 23rd, 2007, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Sorry to here you had a bad experiance William V.

Myself and hubby have just got of the nautica two days ago after cellerbrating our 25th wedding anniversary in the med, we also have been cruising for 18yrs on differant lines, our experiance of the ship/staff/food were the best ever, we were big sailers on the QE2 when she was owned by cunnard and we thought oceania were as good as, they bent over backwards for everthing we asked for, and nothing was to much trouble, it was also nice to see at the end of the cruise that staff did'nt hang around waiting eagaly for more tips,not like the other lines.

If any oceania (Nautica) staff are looking in, thankyou to all the staff for making our special 25th special.

See you Soon
Angie/Andy
Old September 2nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Beginner

Have we been on the same cruise line? The wife & I have sailed on Oceania and are booked on one more. None of what you experienced has happened to us. In fact, just the opposite. The country club attire is as advertised...never have brought a jacket and do not intend to do so. Even got to dine with the Chief Engineer one evening and nothing was said about my attire.
We have been sailing since 1981, having done 32 cruises. Will continue to cruise Oceania until they give me a reason not to do so. Oceania has carved out a nitch that I believe even the new Azamara will not challenge.
Old September 4th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Passenger

That's okay William V. I can totally identify with what you are saying. We cruised with Oceania one time and we will never, ever (even if it's free) cruise with them again.

We love Celebrity and Cunard and will be trying Holland America this fall (heard a lot of good things about them). Oceania goes down as the most expensive bad trip we have ever had.

Don't get me wrong - we still had fun but the food was marginal (except for the two specialty restaurants which were both absolutely wonderful) and the passengers were simply too stuck up and full of themselves for us. The shore excursions were more expensive than other cruise lines, and the staff totally lost their "friendliness" when you pointed out what was wrong.

Everyone be sure to read the tiny print that Oceania only allows smoking in two areas on the ship (neither of which includes either your cabin or your own balcony).

Our "butler" was a total joke. He tried to stay as far away from us as possible and in the few instances where we actually caught him, he couldn't even handle making dinner reservations for us.

what convinced us more than anything that we never wanted to sail with Oceania again was the passengers. They fought constantly. They were rude and with few exceptions, each seemed to think they were the only people on the ship that matter. We totally were unprepared for what we witnessed as they elbowed each other to the front of every line, made nasty comments to those that do smoke, and shoved into food lines like it was the last meal on earth!
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Anyone who boards an Oceania ship without a full understanding of the line's smoking policy simply hasn't done their homework. Far from being positioned as a "small print" detail, Oceania has used their policy as a marketing differentiator. It is very well known to every reputable agent, it is the first item on their online FAQ's, and it's mentioned in every one of their brochures I've ever seen. So if you were surprised, katsuey, it's your fault.

It is disingenuous to imply that "food poisoning" (if that is truly what William V. had) is somehow related to the hand sanitizers. Naturally, that is impossible by definition. As far as overall cleanliness is concerned, I've found no deficiencies on Oceania.

Many people book their own flights, or have their agents do it outside the cruise line's program. Of course, Oceania's "free" air program often makes it very attractive to take their offering. I wonder if it's occurred to William V. that cruise lines do not own the airlines, and that seat assignments are often out of the cruise line's hands. Full flights are full flights, and somebody's got to be in the middle seat. But apparently William objects to it being him. Oh, and it's also tough for cruise lines to shorten long flights. Too bad they took the Concorde out of service.

A noisy room with light shining in around the edges of the wall? Brown water from the taps? This should trigger an instant visit to the hotel manager. But apparently William decided to suffer in silence until his post here. Small showers? Yes they are. I'm a big guy and I had no problems with them.

I could go on but it isn't necessary. I'm no across-the-board apologist for the service lapses of cruise lines. But it's evident that more people come here to gripe than to discuss. This is especially true of the drive-by posts.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Beginner

I'm really not one to complain nor brag but in order to clarify some points please allow me to clarify why I posted. Regarding our food poisoning. I'm a California certified food handler. I sold my three restaurants and retired before I was 40. I come from a midwest family that owns small grocery stores. I know food poisoning. I know the bacterial agents and the gestation periods. We got sick starting at 5:00 a.m. on the morning after the day at sea. You do the math. Despite Oceania's blind instance that we were the only ones sick we talked to two other couples on our shore excursion who were not feeling well either. We even discussed with them the probable causes based on our mutual diets and reported it to Oceania. The hand sanitizers story was only presented to illustrate the point, one you obviously missed. But transmission of contagion is a big concern to the cruise industry and despite your insistence is relevant. But there were many aspects of how this an other issues were handled by Oceania personnel that were arrogant, aloof, and disingenuous and that is really the point. Bad service.

Regarding the shower. Read more carefully. It wasn't small. It was the SMALLEST. 14 inches wide at the narrowest point. How big is your trailer big guy? Maybe brown water isn't disturbing to you but it was yet another in a series of unaddressed issues for us. But really that was the least of our problems.

Regarding the light shining into our room. Suffering in silence isn't really my style. As I mentioned I owned my own businesses. I know that sometimes things go wrong. I also know how to complain. Throughout I was calm, non-confrontational, and deliberate. I was also persistant as I am now. I immediately got up, dressed at 3:00 a.m. and went to the front desk. I was told to return the next morning to speak to the concierge. He was as cold and aloof a person I've ever dealt with in the public sector. We both commented on how strangely detached and unapologetic he was. He never offered the slightest compassion or explanation. He never even offered to check it out which I later deduced he must have known it true. He only stated that the cruise was sold out and unless a cabin opened up we were stuck. Four days later Oceania left a note offering a cabin that mysteriously opened up down the hall for a prorated surcharge of a few hundred dollars. (Someone die or just get fed up and abandon ship?) When we asked if we could be assured not to experience the same problem we were again talked to like there was no way a problem could exist on Oceania. No assurance was given. Ultimately I made an appointment with the cruise manager. As he listened he said something about being sorry. I confided to him how nice it was to at least hear an apology from someone at Oceania. He said and I quote, "I'm not apologizing for anything. I'm just sorry these things happened." !!!!!!!! At that point, since I'm retired, young, and somewhat wealthy, I decided to make warning others about Oceania my "job". I've written every major travel magazine and posted on several sites. I am currently perusing a claim with the Federal Maritime Commission and various other bureaus. So, no, suffering in silence isn't very accurate.

Regarding flights. As I said I don't want to bog down in detail. I thought the preface about my travel experience might inform a careful reader. Yes, it does bother me to be in the middle. I'm 6'3'' with a size 13 shoe. What is relevant here is that myself, who travels SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR to all seven continents and my neighbor who owns the travel agency NEVER had such trouble getting the flight information before. In fact Oceania also played the "it's not my department" game all the way through this whole sad episode. But we did get the manager to admit that he's heard complaints about the travel department before but he wasn't apologizing remember?

We decided to just make it easy on ourselves by going with the offered air fair package. I've done it before. I know how it works. It's usually just SOP. No big deal. I can handle coach. That's why I book early so I can get an aisle seat. At the time I was in the process of launching another business and had just completed the Avon Breast Cancer walk on July 7th and 8th. I was very busy and I thought that with a reputation for service and quality that I could trust Oceania for a least minimal service quality. NOT! More relevantly were the observations my travel agent friend and neighbor. She's good. She's owned her business for over twenty five years. She ultimately just threw her hands up and apologized. We both figured it was a fluke and things would get better and not worse. Unfortunately we were wrong.

Listen, we love to travel and travel a lot. Oceania is simply a pretender in our view. It was just hugely disappointing. I didn't want to rant or go into a lot of detail but we do have a significant frame of reference for our evaluations. I don't want to be rude but if you are over 65 years old Oceania is probably a better experience for you. For us we just kept wondering why we paid the extra money. I've got money because, I like to think, I spend it well. If something is worth it I'll spend more and be very happy I did in most cases. I now sit here months later and tell you that Oceania was the biggest disappointment in value that I can remember.

One other thing, I agree that the people on board can make a huge difference. Fellow cruisers really do matter. We normally make friends when we travel and are very proud of our very extensive network of travel contacts. Oceania cruisers are not a very friendly passengers unless you are one of "them". And there is a "type" be assured. Some of the criticism I've read regarding that "stuck up" attitude is accurate for Oceania passangers as well as staff.
Old September 19th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by William V.

Regarding flights. As I said I don't want to bog down in detail and thought the preface about my travel experience might inform a careful reader. Yes it does bother me to be in the middle. I'm 6'3'' with a size 13 shoe. What is relevant here is that myself, who travels SEVERAL TIMES A YEAR to all seven continents and my neighbor who owns the travel agency NEVER had such trouble getting the flight information before. .
Why did you not just book your own air flights?
You stated you are young wealthy and travel a lot so why take the cruise lines air package?

The cruise lines do not choose the seats, your TA who lives next door should know that if they are so good.
Old September 23rd, 2007, 07:24 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Some posts were removed here for being personal attacks and argumentative - everyone is entitled to their opinions and one should not be chastised because they have a bad experience on a cruise line.

For my 2cents, I flew to Europe on cruise line arranged air three times this summer, and each trip was a nightmare. For the most part, the air most of the cruise lines arrange is set up so you cannot confirm seats until you get to the airport - a sad situation but fairly common. A good travel agent should know that.

As far as personal experiences with personnel on board, no one has a reason to lie about what was said to them, so please do not deny a person the right to relate an experience unless you were there and can refute it.

As for fellow passengers, ironically I was just writing in an article that the idea of booking a cruise based one fellow passengers only makes sense on very small cruise lines. Anything bigger than about 300 passengers and you are most likely on a ship where people do not interact with outsiders much. A ship is a floathing hotel, you don't book it based on who is staying there.

As for the food, and food poisoning, I have found Ocenia to be one of the cleaner cruise lines, but a mistake in food handling can happen anywhere at any time. Once again, please don't criticize people for stating their opinions or relating their personal experiences unless you were there and can refute what they are saying.

Thank you everyone! Please remember to disagree respectfully.

You know - since Oceania was born from Renaissance and Crystal executives, there were a LOT of ex-Crystal passengers who did not like Oceania at all. In fact, the majority of Oceania repeaters were Renaissance fans. So, the line is not for everyone. Those of you who enjoy it need not be defensive about it, The ships are sailing quite full anyway.
Old September 25th, 2007, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Paul:

Most cruise lines' air packages may be set up to not let you choose seat assignments. My current experience with Oceania is quite the contrary. We're using cruise air with Oceania for our flights to Barcelona in a few weeks.

Once I got the confirmation from my agent re the flight numbers, I called United (the carrier for our first leg to Frankfurt) to put our frequent flyer numbers on the PNR. Once I did that I could easily look at the record via my frequent flyer number on UA's website. This showed me that the seats had been assigned. A quick check with seatguru.com showed me that these seats were very good--actually exceptional in many ways. If I had not been pleased, there's a button right there on the web page that I could have used to change them. Using this feature brings up a seat map showing the available seats--something I'm sure you've seen.

I don't know what other cruise lines do or don't do regarding their flights, because I haven't used cruise air in some 10 years before this time. But dealing with the seats on my current Oceania booking has been a piece of cake.
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR
Paul:
Once I got the confirmation from my agent re the flight numbers, I called United (the carrier for our first leg to Frankfurt) to put our frequent flyer numbers on the PNR. Once I did that I could easily look at the record via my frequent flyer number on UA's website.
We had the same experience using BA for our O flights
Logged into the BA site checked the seats they were fine also so no need to change.
Old October 19th, 2007, 03:24 PM
First Mate

William V wrote:

Oceania cruisers are not a very friendly passengers unless you are one of "them". And there is a "type" be assured.

As members of the gay community who will be sailing Oceania again next month, we were wondering if William V. might have been referring to us. Was it the handicapped persons aboard? Perhaps an ethnic group? Did obesity play a part in his condemnation? Who, may we ask, are "them"?
Old October 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
Admiral

Ron n John

My experiences on O are completely different from William's, but let's be fair: he defined what he meant by "them" almost immediately. He said he meant that O's passenger's are "stuck up." I don't feel that way at all, which probably means he'd think I'm stuck up too. And I'm even under 65! But that's for him to worry about.

Like him, my wife and I never fail to make lots of new friends on every cruise we take; we've sailed on many different lines; we like most of them fine; we like O for some very particular reasons--and one of them is surely not that we find the clientele stuck up.

So, you know, there are a lot of intolerant people in the world, and you guys probably know more about that than I do, but since William actually said what he meant by "them," I think it's only right to deal with it on that basis.

BTW, you don't happen to be on the 11/13 TA, do you?
Old October 20th, 2007, 09:32 AM
First Mate

AR

Discrimination rears its head in many ways and we have difficulty relating
unfriendliness with a reference to “type?. Giving William V. the benefit of
the doubt, let’s then say that his type does not benefit from the pleasure
of sailing Oceania.

We have friends who will be aboard the 11/14 TA. Upon their arrival in
Miami, we will join them aboard for the continued sailing of 11/25 Amazon
adventure
Old October 20th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron n Jon
AR

Discrimination rears its head in many ways and we have difficulty relating
unfriendliness with a reference to “type?. Giving William V. the benefit of
the doubt, let’s then say that his type does not benefit from the pleasure
of sailing Oceania.

We have friends who will be aboard the 11/14 TA. Upon their arrival in
Miami, we will join them aboard for the continued sailing of 11/25 Amazon
adventure
It sounded like WM V was not happy from the get go & just looking for things to complain about.
If people had that many problems on that sailing it would have been all over the Cruise critic boards...trust me.
Those that have sailed Oceania before would take most of the complaints from WM as very uncharacteristic of Oceania cruisers/cruises.

Have a great cruise.
We have to wait till Feb for ours...
Old October 23rd, 2007, 07:22 PM
Beginner

Oh how I’ve almost come to enjoy our little game of personal attacks - all for having an opinion. Hmmm..I’ve already chided once about being a “careful reader? but that didn’t seem to help you. Maybe I’ll type slower and see if that works.

Re: Ron n Jon. Say it with me dears, “Mary Paaleeeaze.? As a “member? (a bit exclusionary isn’t it?) of the very same community, and one proud of his reputation, might I scold you for trolling out your self righteousness to play the “race card?. Honey, you went O.J. on us for nothing. It's offensive and even dangerous when people can’t accept some difficulties in life and they reach for the easy out of prejudice. If you can’t accept my views - fine. But how dare you imply that I’m prejudiced. You were so pathetically wrong that even Yeoman got closer to understanding my message. But perhaps he’s more sympathetic then we know. Did you notice how quickly he jumped at your response, even suggesting a rendezvous on the 11/13 cruise? Have you seen his personal profile interest regarding his passion for musical theater? I recall his umbrage at my pointing out the 14 inch showers on board Oceania. I suppose I should have acknowledged the ample closets.

How does it feel to be called names for your opinion?

Oh, sorry, back to the topic and not the person. Let me first state, now that at least one kitty is out of the bag, you’ll perchance notice I did not play the “persecuted minority? in my addressing the tragic shortcomings of service on board our Oceania cruise. But now that you mention it perhaps my partner of 20 years and I were... nah. Oceania is just rude and stuck up.

Even though I was careful to set off “them? and “type? with quotation marks in my writing to indicate a specific use, clearly someone didn’t “get? it. But really, I should thank you. For nothing demonstrates more clearly the “type’ on board than these relentless, overly zealous, defensive attacks on me for simply stating my experiences. In fact, you are the “type?. My God, do you guys work for Oceania? You’re just like the staff with your “it simply could NOT have been a problem with the cruise, so it MUST have been you? attitudes. Even after the web-manger has once interceded you still don’t get it. I’m reminded of a favorite quotation, “Great minds talk of places, events, and ideas, while small minds talk about people.? BTW, a little free hint, in publishing your opinions you might want to seek some legal advice on how to preface your libelous statements. Oops, there goes another kitty.... bad dog. Heel J.D. (for now).

And clearly Lulu didn’t retire from the psychiatric field. Does it make sense that we would spend $10.000.00 and a few weeks of precious life to go on a beautiful trip across the planet only to be “not happy from the get go & just looking for things to complain about?? Nope. Sorry. Glass half full kinda guy here. In fact, despite all the shortcomings of the ship we did enjoy the cruise. It was a fabulous itinerary. We just ignored the bitter, defensive, pretentious, stuck-up, shallow “types? we were stuck with on board.

And just in case you STILL DON’T GET IT. “Them types? is a MINDSET.

Get a life.
Old October 23rd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by William V.

And just in case you STILL DON’T GET IT. “Them types? is a MINDSET.

Get a life.
I guess the cold weather here in the north has frozen my brain because I still don't know what
"them types" are.

I don't really care either.
Life is too short so I will just enjoy my cruises with Oceania.
Old November 14th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Passenger

Default Bad Oceania Cruise

I was reseaching a possible Oceania cruise and noted this thread. I am a Celebrity cruiser and looking for a more upscale experience with a smaller ship.

The original posters analysis was helpful to me regarding food vs cat of cabin, attitude of passenger.

I have reviewed the available posts on this thread and note a large dollop of politicial correctness. No one has the entitlement to tell anyone whom to like. I have the impression that some individuals on this board are behaving like thought police.

The original poster made his observation. He is totally entitled to his freedom of thought and expression in equal measure to everyone else.

Thank you for the original post and some of the analysis that followed.

I will review other cruise boards to see if I can acquire further information on Oceania.

ABoatNerd
Old November 28th, 2007, 09:33 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, I consider myself another Celebrity person too. I am checking all the boards to get some information about the Oceania cruise we have booked for March, 2008 from Rio to Barcelona. I have found some very interesting words of wisdom on the boards.

Although this is our first Oceania cruise we are familar with the ships because we sailed on the R4 in the South Pacific - what a beautiful ship. It will be interesting to compare our other cruise experiences with Oceania.

Can't wait to see what changes they have made. We were in a large balcony cabin the last time and this time we have a small inside cabin.

I find people are people. You get all different personalities on the cruise ships, Oceania won't be any different. Regardless of the people, food, cabins, weather, etc ...I will have a great cruise. As I always say "there is no such thing as a bad cruise, only a better cruise".
Summit 11/01
Millennium 2/02
Mercury 11/02
Star Princess 3/03
Zuiderdam 8/03
Century 10/03
Voyager of the Seas 2/04
Regal Princess 7/04
Zaandam 12/04
Galaxy 9/05
Infinity 1/06
Jewel of the Seas 8/06
Zenith 1/07
Adventure of the Sea 9/07
Insigna 3/08
Solstice 11/08
NCL Jade 5/09
Diamond Princess 8/09
Oceania Ragetta 11/09
Old November 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiztime
W
Although this is our first Oceania cruise we are familar with the ships because we sailed on the R4 in the South Pacific - what a beautiful ship. It will be interesting to compare our other cruise experiences with Oceania.

We never sailed REN but from what other that have done both REN & O they love O .

We are signed up for FEB/MAR B2B on Regatta.
We love the small ships

Check out the roll call on cruise critic for your cruise
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=410378

enjoy the cruise
Old December 12th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Admiral

I've sailed three times on Oceania (and previously with Renaissance). The experience has always been wonderful. In fact, I'd rather take Oceania than just about any other cruise line.

I'm sorry your cruise was so disappointing. It's dreadful to invest the time and money in a vacation, returning disappointed. For any reason.
www.cruisingfromnewyork.com/
Cruise news, bargains, tips and commentary.
Old March 6th, 2008, 02:11 AM
Beginner

Thanks Ann. We were sorry too. Our trip to Spain a few months back was fantastic. First time there for me and looking forward to going back.

Happy Cruising
Old March 6th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Well, as far as I know food poisoinng isn't a matter of clean hands, it is from food that has spoiled. And other than that I agree brown water and light from the other room should have been dealt with immediately. I have never seen light from another room on the five trips I have taken on these ships. If that were the case you also would have heard everything your neighbors were saying.

Oceania is known for NOT being a molly-coddling cruise experience, they are for travelers, not people who want to doted upon by the staff. I personally happen to like that style, (I am not big of superficial obligatory conversations with my waiter during dinner, when he asks me if I had a nice day in port, I know he has been working all day and doesn't really care how I answer) but many people do not. I understand that.

I am sorry you have a bad cruise - sometimes bad cruises happen even on good ships. Oceania has no problem selling out its ships, they are a success story. Perhaps it has gone to a few staff-members' heads (that does happen at times) and there is no excuse.
Old May 24th, 2008, 06:20 PM
Beginner

Wow! Sounds like this poor guy is snake-bit. We cruised from Athens to Istanbul in June 2007 and had a wonderful time. The service was great, the ports were fascinating and the food was very good. We were able to book the "fancy restaurants" two times each and they were excellent. As to the dress, we found it exactly what we expected and exjoyed being casual except for the "fancy restaurant" nights. Overall, a great trip, and we're going on the Baltic cruise in June 2008.
Old April 14th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Beginner

Default too bad that this got nasty

I wish I could say that I am shocked at the reaction of people to Williams complaint. My husband and I swore off cruises after two disasters more than 20m years ago. We have owned very large boats and never had a desire to cruise. Last month we resorted to PLAN B due to rain throughout the coastal region and jumped on a cruise just to find some sun. It turned us into believers. We will be doing more cruises. Its nice to leave all the work to someone else. I understand that some people can be difficult. We saw that on our cruise. We also know that we find people we like everywhere we go. What concerns me the most is that when someone expressed his opinion on this board, he was attacked. Those are the type of people my partner and I try to stay away from. It has made me wonder if its a reflection of the type of people that we will find onboard the oceania cruise we planned to take in the fall. I am very concerned at this point and hope someone will take the time to clarify.
Old April 15th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Captain

Default Re: too bad that this got nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj
What concerns me the most is that when someone expressed his opinion on this board, he was attacked. Those are the type of people my partner and I try to stay away from. It has made me wonder if its a reflection of the type of people that we will find onboard the oceania cruise we planned to take in the fall. I am very concerned at this point and hope someone will take the time to clarify.
I will say that once you cruise Oceania you will see why people discounted WM's account of things.
You can judge for yourself

Do not know what ship you were on but Oceania ships are smaller than most of the mass market lines so be prepared ...no rock climbing walls, vegas shows ...

Enjoy the cruise
We will be on #6 with O next year
Old April 15th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Beginner

We arent really into rock climbing walls, casino's or vegas style shows. When we want to go to casino's we go to vegas, if we want to see a show we go to the show. Since we own our own boats we are much more interested in knowing that we are on the water and letting someone else do all the work. We want good beds, good food, pretty water (ok, even rain on the water beats rain on the driveway) and good ports. A little rocking is pleasant for us. We havent chosen the ports of call or the ship yet, we have some flexibility but we do know what we dont want, no big meat market scenes or ships so large that it feels like being in vegas rather that on an ocean. Thats why we thought oceania would be perfect for us. We also think that the no smoking provisions are great for us - i am a closet smoker once every two years and he has never smoked in his life. During the days I dont smoke, I hate being around it. We dont have kids so paying for other peoples kids to be entertained isnt how we want to invest our money. We really like the idea of being in on a ship that is port intensive and being rocked to sleep at night.

I am really looking forward to this trip. And I do appreciate all the really nice responses I've gotten from you oceania folks. Thanks for the input. It was greatly appreciated.
Old April 16th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj
A little rocking is pleasant for us. We havent chosen the ports of call or the ship yet, we have some flexibility but we do know what we dont want, no big meat market scenes or ships so large that it feels like being in vegas rather that on an ocean. Thats why we thought oceania would be perfect for us. We also think that the no smoking provisions are great for us

I am really looking forward to this trip. And I do appreciate all the really nice responses I've gotten from you oceania folks. Thanks for the input. It was greatly appreciated.
You would probably enjoy Oceania
I would start a new thread for questions you have

L
Old April 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Beginner

Uh, oh. I was seriously considering reserving one of Oceania's Mediterranean cruises. Now, I'm undecided.

I read cruise reviews from various web sites and am inclined to mistrust quite a few (mostly the positive ones) as "plants". This person's negative opinion was not the first I'd read about Oceania.

The discussion on this person's posting, however, made me wonder why his opinion was attacked so vigorously. Let's face it, each traveler views his experience from a unique perspective. Also, it's not uncommon for travel industry employees and repeat travelers to receive special consideration on cruises, so their posts are more likely to reflect positive experiences. I seriously doubt that travel agents or those in the travel industry will post any negative comments, even if deserved.

Oceania was sold in 2007...have the new owners made changes that do not match the standards of the previous owners?
Old April 18th, 2009, 11:14 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by halelani

Uh, oh. I was seriously considering reserving one of Oceania's Mediterranean cruises. Now, I'm undecided.

I read cruise reviews from various web sites and am inclined to mistrust quite a few (mostly the positive ones) as "plants". This person's negative opinion was not the first I'd read about Oceania.
Let me just say that the number of reviews are about 98% positive

One cruise we were on they had over 400 repeat cruisers out of 684 so I do not think they could all be "plants"

Up until the bad economic situation last fall Oceania would sell out their cruises well in advance.
They never discounted the closer to sailing, things changed this year & they do have some good sales on

You have to judge for yourself if they are right for you.

We love Oceania & cannot wait to be back onboard

Disclaimer
Not paid by Oceania or anyone for my positive opinions