Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to Iamboatman
Default Nautica for 35 Days (Africa to Asia)

I just had a client call me after just disembarking the Oceania Nautica on a 35 day cruise starting in South Africa and ending in Singapore; staying in a Penthouse Suite. This client also frequently sails on Seabourn so I found his comments about the ship, service and cuisine to be very interesting and thought I would pass them along. (To be sure I was worried because Oceania belated eliminated quite a number of East African ports due to concerns over piracy, so there was a bit of a negative tone from him and other clients I had on this cruise.)

Overall he raved about the cruise complimenting Oceania on how well maintained and clean the ship was, how friendly the staff was and (unfortunately for him) how attentive the medical staff was after he had a serious injury while traveling independently overnight in Myanmar. He even noted that Oceania's inclusion of soft drinks and shuttles into town were small, but very welcome, improvements from his last Oceania cruise.

Ironically, the one area of complaint was his dining experience. He said finding a table at the buffet restaurant for breakfast or lunch was difficult no matter if they went early or later for a meal. He also commented that the overall food quality seemed to suffer with less than properly prepared food (grey steaks, steamed "baked" potatoes, greasy veal scallopini, etc.) and disjointed menus, so that consistently while you might find a creative appetizer you could not find a complimentary main course to go with it.

I am not sure if the culinary "A Team" was transferred over to Marina or what the reason for the cuisine issues was, but more importantly it seems that the overall experience was excellent.

When I hear back from some of my other clients I will let you know how things were from their, non-Penthouse, perspectives.
Sponsored Links
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Captain

Getting a table in the buffet on port days is very hard
We usually go to the dining room
If you have an early excursion much easier in the empty GDR

Why did he not order room service then?
They do get a hot menu for breakfast unlike the lower cabin Cat
Old January 17th, 2011, 12:32 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

There are many folks that like to dine outside of their suite; including me.

Also, unless you are on a true luxury line the variety of offerings and the temperature of the food tends to suffer when ordering from room service.

Besides it is Oceania, so isn't it supposed to be "Your Cruise Your Way?)

As I said it did not ruin his very positive experience...it is just an observation and, apparently, one that you observed as well.
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:26 PM
Captain

I do not dine in my cabin either but if I could not get a seat for breakfast & had the option of getting a hot meal in my suite I would certainly do it
As I said the GDR is usually empty in the morning because people think the buffet is faster when they are rushing to get ashore
Old January 17th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Banned
Cruise Maniac

I appreciate you would do that, but seriously, I doubt many people would leave their suite...try to get breakfast and then say, "Hey, let's go back to our suite, wait 30 minutes and then have a breakfast or lunch that we really didn't want when we really didn't want it."

Yes, the main dining room may be an option, but then again, having to sit through an hour breakfast or lunch is not what most people want to do. I am glad it works for you, but for those those who it doesn't..

The point is that there is an obvious issue either with flow or capacity that you and my clients experienced. It is just a bit of information; nothing more.
Old January 17th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamboatman View Post
I appreciate you would do that, but seriously, I doubt many people would leave their suite...try to get breakfast and then say, "Hey, let's go back to our suite, wait 30 minutes and then have a breakfast or lunch that we really didn't want when we really didn't want it."
That would be ridiculous

Last edited by lulu48; January 17th, 2011 at 11:26 PM.