Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Other Cruise Lines > Oceania Cruises
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Alas, My generator's, not - Insignia

Hello Oceaniaers:

We were just notified a second time of a sched change for the Insignia to the Norwegian Artic area that another stop was deleted. Only, this time they told us the truth that the generators need to be reconditioned and this will not be done at dry dock but on the fly. As a result, the ship's speed needs to be reduced and certain ports of call have to be eliminated, changed and modified.

They say there's no safety concern, but what about those times when you have go to flank speed to miss a big piece of ice or another ship? Are we going to have dusty overalled, clad workers parading about or is there going to be a banging noise during the day?

I've got a couple of future cruises with OC in the docket and wonder! What would you do? Oh, also, the work will go on through September 2011.

Bon Voyage?

P
Sponsored Links
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Captain

We did the cruise last year & we did not have to do any flank speed maneuvers
I think you will be safe there

Yes too bad you will miss a port & have shorter times in some others but do hope you enjoy the cruise
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Oceania Cruises Loses a Customer

We have just joined Cruise Mates and would like to add our experience to the discussion re: the Insignia generator issue...We were booked (and fully paid) to sail on Oceania’s June 2011 “Land of the Midnight Sun” cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and the Polar Ice Cap when we received the email notification from Oceania stating that two of the ship’s four generators would be undergoing refurbishment during our cruise. This meant that the ship would be sailing under reduced propulsion and consequently shore time would be reduced by approximately 25%. Although we were very disappointed by the significant changes in the itinerary, we were far more distressed that Oceania would even consider sailing a ship into the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans that was operating on half of its designed generator capacity. Although Oceania stated that the presence of factory technicians onboard performing the repairs during our cruise would “not hamper guest safety, ship’s operation, seaworthiness or the safety of Insignia”, we felt that the mere possibility of a reduction in safety and seaworthiness was unacceptable and we refused to subject ourselves to any increased safety risk or worry whatsoever. Having excitedly anticipated this trip for over eight months, it was with great disappointment that we canceled our cruise and requested a refund of all monies paid. We were shocked when Oceania imposed a penalty of 50% of our cruise fee. Through our travel agent, we made several attempts to negotiate a mutually agreeable settlement including credit towards the next sailing of “Land of the Midnight Sun”, but Oceania refused. Being enthusiastic and experienced international travelers, we have grown accustomed to being treated with a high degree of consideration by hotel chains, tour companies and cruise lines. We expected no less from Oceania Cruises, to whom we had entrusted significant vacation dollars. We are extremely dissatisfied with this outcome and would like to make it crystal clear to other travelers that Oceania Cruises care more about avoiding loss in revenue, such as would have been the case if the repairs to the Insignia had been performed during a short-term dry docking, than it does about its passengers. In our case, instead of accepting a loss in revenue, Oceania elected to pass the “costs” of the required reconditioning of the ship’s generators on to paid-in-full passengers in the form of what would have been a less secure overall cruise experience.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:58 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4w View Post
We have just joined Cruise Mates and would like to add our experience to the discussion re: the Insignia generator issue...We were booked (and fully paid) to sail on Oceania’s June 2011 “Land of the Midnight Sun” cruise to the Norwegian Fjords and the Polar Ice Cap when we received the email notification from Oceania stating that two of the ship’s four generators would be undergoing refurbishment during our cruise. This meant that the ship would be sailing under reduced propulsion and consequently shore time would be reduced by approximately 25%. Although we were very disappointed by the significant changes in the itinerary, we were far more distressed that Oceania would even consider sailing a ship into the North Atlantic and Arctic Oceans that was operating on half of its designed generator capacity.
Several cruises were changed around due to the ongoing work on the generators
I do not believe Oceania would sail if it meant endangering it's passengers

If YOU cancel a cruise for any reason then you pay the cancellation penalty ..I am surprised your TA did not mention this.
I know many people do not read the fine print but always a good idea to check the cancellation terms
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:20 AM
david30101

I used to be in the navy and I used to operate the generators, our ship had 4 of them (2 in each engine room) DDG class Destroyer built in early 60s with 1200 psi steam plant. 2 generators are more then enougth power for a cruise ship. You wont even notice or hear any repairs going on since were talking several decks away from passenger areas. I also took a 6 week north alantic cruise on that same said destroyer to same places your going with only (2 generators) running.
Old August 8th, 2011, 04:59 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by david30101 View Post
You wont even notice or hear any repairs going on since were talking several decks away from passenger areas. I also took a 6 week north alantic cruise on that same said destroyer to same places your going with only (2 generators) running.
Apparently the cruise went off fine & people survived the trip
Someone reported they did not feel the ship was sailing too slow but they did cut 1 port & change the times on a couple of others
Not ideal but better than losing the whole cruise