CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Oceania Cruises (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/oceania-cruises/)
-   -   Oceania South American Explorere Jan/13 (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/oceania-cruises/390674-oceania-south-american-explorere-jan-13-a.html)

evergreen July 20th, 2012 01:31 AM

Oceania South American Explorere Jan/13

Hi, first time cruise(r) here. Going on the Regatta-Oceania, Jan/13 from Lima to Rio. Any advice or hints re clothing for this trip... Going as a single as well, are people friendly ?....I'm a young 65.... pretty casual (life is too short)
so am trying to be prepared....
I have traveled to S. America twice before by backpack, bus and plane, but want to see Tierra del Fuego and the Falkands and also want to experience a cruise, a nice one.
Did I make the right choice with Oceania. Any replies would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Evergreen

aspengal July 20th, 2012 06:13 PM

Evergreen, Done O twice, once as solo. Bring your nicest cruise clothes.People dress well but not formally. O is upscale with excellent food; much emphasis on food.I found just a bit of shall we say -Attitude when solo. Like, I have a husband so I am better than you from married ladies.If you are OK with this go. You are perfect age group for this line.There will be no big shows,drunken partiers, silly games etc.But, no long lines either. Enjoy.

evergreen July 21st, 2012 12:27 AM

Thanks Kathy, humorous & insightful :) comments....I'm a single guy so may run into the 'have a wife & you don't crowd'.... but c'est la vie. Thanks George

lulu48 July 22nd, 2012 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aspengal (Post 1439311)
Evergreen, Done O twice, once as solo. Bring your nicest cruise clothes.People dress well but not formally. O is upscale with excellent food; much emphasis on food.I found just a bit of shall we say -Attitude when solo. Like, I have a husband so I am better than you from married ladies.If you are OK with this go. You are perfect age group for this line.There will be no big shows,drunken partiers, silly games etc.But, no long lines either. Enjoy.

WOW
I am sorry you had that experience on your cruise
We have met some lovely single people on our cruises & never heard of them having been treated like that
We had invited one lady to dine with us often as well as friends ...we did tours together with the single lady

Hopefully you will have better luck on another cruise, not all O cruisers are like that

lulu48 July 22nd, 2012 04:09 PM

Men do wear a pr of nice slacks & a polo or button shirt to dinner you can wear a jacket if you choose but not required

If you like Trivia that seems to be popular onboard or bridge also a good way to meet other people
Sometimes I have seen a singles meet onboard but not always
You could always ask the concierge if their are other singles that may want to share dining with you

enjoy the cruise