Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 14th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Pretty good discussion, despite some unnecessary diversions from the topic.

I'll weigh in with Mike, who hit it on the head right at the beginning. This "foreign aid" canard continues to be talked about by people who don't pay any attention to the numbers. And the money that is spent has definite paybacks on a net basis.

Of course, right now by far the biggest chunk of unjustified "foreign aid" is going to Afghanistan (included, for budget purposes--to the extent that we "budget" for wars at all--in the military budget).

I also agree with most that we absolutely must cut spending and we must raise taxes--on the rich first and foremost, and on the rest of us too. Like some others, I'm prepared to have my taxes rasied and my "entitlements" reduced. I would consider it an act of patriotism.
No citizen is any more American then any other Citizen, yet less then 50% of the people in this country pay taxes. I am of the belief that a flat tax of 10% on everyone should be enough for the government to run on....Hey, if 10% is good enough for Jesus, it should be good enough for Uncle Sam.

It is time we quit being the policeman of the world too. The only time in the last 30 years we have not had a deficit was during the Clinton years, when we were at peace and not fighting wars all over the place. As soon as we joined in on the Bosnia fray our government went into debt.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old March 15th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Admiral

I think it is very reasonable to suggest that every American have some "skin in the game" when it comes to taxes. An excellent case can be made that we all should pay something.

But the fact that so many pay no taxes at all has another aspect: it points up how we are more and more becoming a nation of haves and have nots, and how our middle class is eroding.

And, I'm not sure Jesus actually gets his 10% after the churches take their cut.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Captain

I agree with the flat tax idea. That way everyone pays the same.

We are becoming a society of haves and have-nots. I hope we can turn this around.
Old March 15th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post

It is time we quit being the policeman of the world too. The only time in the last 30 years we have not had a deficit was during the Clinton years, when we were at peace and not fighting wars all over the place. As soon as we joined in on the Bosnia fray our government went into debt.
I agree with the above statement 100%.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old June 13th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post

And, I'm not sure Jesus actually gets his 10% after the churches take their cut.

As far as I know, Jesus does not have any bills to pay, so it's OK for churches to take their cut.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old June 29th, 2013, 10:49 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Henry, My hubby's lastest orders are open ended. The Pres. said he would shut down operations, so the ball is in his court. I guess we just have to see if he does what he said.
, yeah! If only Obama hadn't poured $billions into the sand in Iraq for no reason AND destroyed the American economy, things would be different!

Why doesn't he just do what he says?
Old July 3rd, 2013, 09:49 AM
Captain

Just look at what we spent helping to "liberate" Libya....1st day alone we dropped 100 laser guided missiles that cost 1 mill a piece. So just the first day the American people spent 100 million dollars. The final cost was in the billions I am sure. The question begs to be asked, what did this America gain by poking our nose into something that was none of our business? We got 5 Americans killed in protests by these same people we helped to liberate, just plain sad and irresponsible.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 15
Old July 4th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Less than 2% of our total budget goes to foreign aid. 60% of it is for Defense, Medicare, Medicaid, CHIP and Social Security.

We can talk about all the wasted money in foreign aid, infrastructure, the space program or medical research but until the elephants in the room are addressed then its a lot of work with little result.

Take care,
Mike
Medicare, Social Security, and more have already been paid for by those collecting.
Old July 4th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecocruiser View Post
Medicare, Social Security, and more have already been paid for by those collecting.
But not nearly enough to fund the current outlay of funds. Most retirees are receiving far more back then they ever paid in.

It is the money paid by the current working public that is paying the current retirees.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 5th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
But not nearly enough to fund the current outlay of funds. Most retirees are receiving far more back then they ever paid in.

It is the money paid by the current working public that is paying the current retirees.

Take care,
Mike
Incompetence and theft by the politicians overseeing and not by the recipients are to blame for that.

The participants bought insurance and long ago the currant recipients (and future) had paid up policies. It is no different than military and civil service pensions, bloated benefits for retirees from unions and companies that go bust, etc. It is an obligation that is due and not discretionary spending like wag the dog wars are.