Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It's it wonderful that Obama got all the bad guys. He must be really tired from all that work. Came up with the idea all by himself, while in the senate, because the plans started years ago.

Next time he might like to take the military, seals, etc with him. Oh that's right, I saw him on TV today saying he has no use for the seals, because they dared to tell him to shut his mouth up, when telling secrets to the press.
Here is what Obama actually said:
President Barack Obama on Monday shrugged off an ad by a political action committee founded by a former Navy SEAL that accuses him of improperly milking the death of Osama bin Laden for political gain.
"I don't take these folks too seriously," Obama told the Virginian-Pilot newspaper.
"One of their members is a birther who denies I was born here, despite evidence to the contrary. You've got another who was a tea party candidate in a recent election," Obama said. "This kind of stuff springs up before election time."

I really question how you can possibly interpret this as him saying that he has no use for the SEALS.

I recall our President having nothing but praise for SEAL Team 6. His decision to go after Bin Laden despite the implications for international relations and the high cost of failure was a gutsy decision.

As for taking credit, remember President Bush took credit for the capture of Saddam with no flack coming from the right wing hacks.

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:04 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
It's it wonderful that Obama got all the bad guys. He must be really tired from all that work. Came up with the idea all by himself, while in the senate, because the plans started years ago.

Next time he might like to take the military, seals, etc with him. Oh that's right, I saw him on TV today saying he has no use for the seals, because they dared to tell him to shut his mouth up, when telling secrets to the press.
Luanne,

I have never seen, or heard, President Obama take sole credit for the killing of Bin Laden. He has always acknowledged the actions of the SEALS and the Intelligence community for carrying this out. If he did say this, could you let me know where you heard it?

Granted, the hunt for Bin Laden and other terrorists had been in play under the previous administration but the results have happened during the Obama term and "new" terrorists that were not players under the Bush administration have been "removed". It's the results that get noticed and it sure looks like there have been more results in the last four years then there were in the previous eight years. It also looks like the emphasis has shifted from targeting countries to targeting the leaders of Al Qaeda.

Edited to add content:

If it was the article that Doug referenced: I'm sorry but I can't take the words of an individual, associated with a PAC, as gospel. Especially since the person is giving an "opinion" and not a fact.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:03 PM
Admiral

At least Obama isn't writing a book (yet)

Bin Laden Raid Book: First-Hand Account Of Navy SEAL Mission Will Be Released On Sept. 11

If anything, I think the Seals would tell all sides not to use them as a political football.
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Admiral

And you people wonder why a lot of us have dropped out from this site. It's threads like this one that drive us away. All this has WHAT to do with cruising??????
See ya.

"SKY"
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymaster View Post
And you people wonder why a lot of us have dropped out from this site. It's threads like this one that drive us away. All this has WHAT to do with cruising??????
See ya.

"SKY"
I don't understand this.

If you don't like a certain thread - stay away from it. Why would it "drive us away" as you stated?

I have never understood the mentality of someone that, when offended by something that others may be indifferent to or even enjoy, wants to ban it, or change it, instead of just ignoring it.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
All this has WHAT to do with cruising??????

"SKY"
To quote the statement at the top of the Chit-Chat page, "Open forum for non-cruise posts" (emphasis mine).

As marsdude says, if you don't like it, stay away. Most people who don't like oysters simply don't order them at restaurants. But they don't complain because they're on the menu.
Old August 24th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Admiral

Default Cruise sites

Quote:
See ya.

"SKY"

I read yesterday that there are 20 cruise sites on line . According to the article CM has 70,000 membes and its main rival has 745,000 .That site is 100% devoted to cruising . I have communicated with more than 20 people who while they still post here also post on other sites .They do so because their interest is cruising .While I do post actively on the non-cruise threads on CM I would much rather that this became a 90 to 100 % cruise site .

In addition ,on the cruises I've been on since joining CM I've only met a handful of people who ever heard of CM and more than 100 who post on other boards .
Old August 24th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
I read yesterday that there are 20 cruise sites on line . According to the article CM has 70,000 membes and its main rival has 745,000 .That site is 100% devoted to cruising . I have communicated with more than 20 people who while they still post here also post on other sites .They do so because their interest is cruising .While I do post actively on the non-cruise threads on CM I would much rather that this became a 90 to 100 % cruise site .

In addition ,on the cruises I've been on since joining CM I've only met a handful of people who ever heard of CM and more than 100 who post on other boards .
There are FAR MORE than 20 cruise sites online.

There are currently over 80,000 registered users at CruiseMates. But there are also almost 400,000 unique vistors to CruiseMates each month.

The majority of users of any cruise site on the net, visit multiple cruise sites on the net... even if they don't post - many post in several

CC (who you refer as to as our main rival is CERTAINLY not 100% devoted to cruising. You need to take a better look. It's not even close. Actually look at almost any thread (I first started out working cruise sites with Anne Campbell at Cruise Critic)

Just because you read something on the Internet doesn't make it true. (I know because I write some of it
Old August 24th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I just saw this thread because I got a personal message about it.

I have some strong political view just like everyone else (although I am pretty moderate).

I have asked this board many times if they would let me ban the politics and religious talk and every time I ask I get "no" for an answer.

But you will notice that I don't come to chit chat very often. I personally think what most of you people say is here is very distasteful, and hiding your views by pretending to be in the middle is ridiculously transparent.

However - I also do NOT understand people who contantly refer to THIS SITE as not being about cruising, or as "Lakers Fan" just said "I would prefer to see it become 80 to 90 % about cruising."

This site is 99% about cruising already - it is just this fringe "chit-chat" board that is not. Go to any of the other topics here and there are plenty of people using this site to talk about cruising.

And I don't mean to target Lakers Fan. I have seen plenty of others make the same ridiculous comment.
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Admiral

Default Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post

I have some strong political view just like everyone else (although I am pretty moderate).

I have asked this board many times if they would let me ban the politics and religious talk and every time I ask I get "no" for an answer.

But you will notice that I don't come to chit chat very often. I personally think what most of you people say is here is very distasteful, and hiding your views by pretending to be in the middle is ridiculously transparent.

However - I also do NOT understand people who contantly refer to THIS SITE as not being about cruising, or as "Lakers Fan" just said "I would prefer to see it become 80 to 90 % about cruising."

This site is 99% about cruising already - it is just this fringe "chit-chat" board that is not. Go to any of the other topics here and there are plenty of people using this site to talk about cruising.

And I don't mean to target Lakers Fan. I have seen plenty of others make the same ridiculous comment.

Yes ,there are a lot of cruise related threads here ,but virtually nobody posts on them .

If there were no political threads here it would be more to my liking however since they are here I am joining in .
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

That isn't true - we generally have some 500 people reading our cruise-related forums at any given minute during the day. Boy, you are a fount of misinformation about this web site.

So you know - we may not be as active as Cruise Critic, but CC is a very successful site that had a very solid head start with AOL. There are not many travel sites anywhere, let alone cruise sites, as successful as they are. Its a tough nut for us - but we crack it better than most. We are far bigger than any other independent (not affiliated with a major newspaper, for example) cruise site on the web not counting Cruise Critic.

We get over 300,000 unique visitors a month to CruiseMates and over 1,000,000 page views - every month. That is not chump change, my friend, as your comments make us sound.

I find it really odd that you are complaining that you don't see enough cruise content here in the singular board we have on the web site that we specifically say is not about cruising. You are kind of like a blind person looking for a lightswitch.
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes ,there are a lot of cruise related threads here ,but virtually nobody posts on them .

If there were no political threads here it would be more to my liking however since they are here I am joining in .
HA! You haven't hardly posted in ANY folder other than Chit Chat and the unofficial good morning thread. I'm betting more than 98% of your posts there.

You start more threads than pretty much anyone on the Chit Chat board.

It's actually hypocritical to say you prefer to talk cruising.

1600 Posts in 3 years, and maybe 2 dozen answering someone's question that is not in the Chit Chat folder.

Your reality seems to be in a parallel universe.

Post anywhere you like, but p-l-e-a-s-e!
Old August 24th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Let me guess who sent you the message.

Quote:
You never asked me, but I'd have said no also.

Quote:
I personally think you have no idea what distasteful is. If you look at the internet as a whole, this is a baby's playpen. There hasn't been anything here in a long time that even comes close to violating the posted standards. So either follow through and ban what you want to ban or stop whining. If you were just another member it would be one thing. But you run the place, and you parachute in once in a while when somebody complains to wag your finger and scold. Meanwhile, some of your moderators participate actively and thoughtfully on Chit-Chat. You don't want politics and religion? Fine. Just have the stones to say so and we'll go away. Otherwise. . .
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
HA! You haven't hardly posted in ANY folder other than Chit Chat and the unofficial good morning thread. I'm betting more than 98% of your posts there.

You start more threads than pretty much anyone on the Chit Chat board.

It's actually hypocritical to say you prefer to talk cruising.

1600 Posts in 3 years, and maybe 2 dozen answering someone's question that is not in the Chit Chat folder.

Your reality seems to be in a parallel universe.

Post anywhere you like, but p-l-e-a-s-e!
Its 16,000 . Yes ,I agree that I start and post non cruise related subjects . However ,I challenge you to be a 100% cruise board and you will see me with another 16,000 posts.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Its 16,000 . Yes ,I agree that I start and post non cruise related subjects . However ,I challenge you to be a 100% cruise board and you will see me with another 16,000 posts.

Oh, you're saying you don't have time to post about cruising, because you're too busy posting BS? But, you'll make time to talk about cruising if we MAKE you.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Let me guess who sent you the message.

You never asked me, but I'd have said no also.

I personally think you have no idea what distasteful is. If you look at the internet as a whole, this is a baby's playpen. There hasn't been anything here in a long time that even comes close to violating the posted standards. So either follow through and ban what you want to ban or stop whining. If you were just another member it would be one thing. But you run the place, and you parachute in once in a while when somebody complains to wag your finger and scold. Meanwhile, some of your moderators participate actively and thoughtfully on Chit-Chat. You don't want politics and religion? Fine. Just have the stones to say so and we'll go away. Otherwise. . .

That's about as rude a post as I've seen. This isn't the "internet as a whole". If you're looking for "rough and tumble politics" I have no idea why you are even posting on a site that is a cruise site.

I take part in some of the discussions, but I would never presume to tell the site manager how to run THEIR site.

In our "internal discussions" I disagree about certain criteria, but it is THEIR site. I know enough to understand that if I seriously object to its standards I should go elsewhere.

Actually, I'm particularly disappointed in you, as we've known each other for a long time "on the net". I know you are an experienced cruiser.

Yet you've given up offering any cruise opinions, or answer anyone's cruise questions, in favor of posting what you feel is topical or interesting, outside of cruising.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

AR - I'm a pompous ass?

For that post alone you get the "black calling kettle" award of the year.

I'm speechless - and if I was really a pompous ass, I wouldn't be.
Old August 24th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Default MB aka Kuki

Quote:
Oh, you're saying you don't have time to post about cruising, because you're too busy posting BS? But, you'll make time to talk about cruising if we MAKE you.

If you look closely you will see that a lot of my posts are exact duplicates of ones you made circa 2001 .If you refer to it as BS ,that is the "cat calling the kettle black."
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
If you look closely you will see that a lot of my posts are exact duplicates of ones you made circa 2001 .If you refer to it as BS ,that is the "cat calling the kettle black."

Gee, should I be worried that you've been stalking me since 2001?

Guess I'm safe since it took you 8 years to join in and duplicate my posts.

You've said before that you're a carbon copy of me, I keep forgetting.

I know it's true in your universe
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:02 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Mo....

I think its pretty obvious what he wants is a knock-down fight with a conservative so he can let go with all the vitriol he wants.

That is how the liberals have been trained to act in this election - he is right - their hateful speech is all over the Internet. He had to cite one conservative losing his cool as an excuse for him to let loose on us here at CruiseMates.

I really agree - that is one of the rudest posts I have ever seen in these boards - definitely to me personally, and that is why I am not even dignifying it with a response.

AR - you are welcome to stay here, because we know you, but for anyone else that would have you banned for life. And I do have the stones and I do know what hateful is... Which is why I am letting this go.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Paul:

Based on everything I have read about you and everything I've read that you have posted I can guarantee that politically I am far to the right of you on most subjects .
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Default Kuki

Quote:
Gee, should I be worried that you've been stalking me since 2001?

Guess I'm safe since it took you 8 years to join in and duplicate my posts.

You've said before that you're a carbon copy of me, I keep forgetting.

I know it's true in your universe

Once again you are reading between the lines . To reiterate what I said on another thread :

I stated that you are I have things in common such as religion ,nationality (pre Canadian and US) ,family members dying in concentration camps ,etc.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Here is the scenario for this election.

The only thing Obama has to run on is making Romney look like a "cheating, selfish, tax-dodging religious whack-job"

So, the idea for Obama is to run a VERY negative campaign. However, the demos know that with that strategy the worst thing that could happen is the American public at the mainstream level all wake up and notice "Hey, he has no record to run on - all he is doing is saying negative things about Romney."

Once the public gets that - the emperor has no clothes. He has no alternative as a fallback, he has to run on his dismal record.

So - the demos are doing all they can to make sure it stays negative on both sides - so Obamacan run on the 'lesser of two evils' platform."

They have been doing this baiting of conservatives for years - calling us "teabaggers", "racists." etc. Neither name is correct - if there are any real teabaggers in this country they are democrats. And if we were racist we would not have Herman Cain, Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice.

See, with the left isn't about who's right or wrong, it's just about winning the battle. But if we don't engage in their street fighting, and we keep it about the issues, then Obama has to run on his record - and that is quickly becoming obviously a losing strategy.

See - its really ironic that people come in here to say "You at CruiseMates are 'this' or 'that" when their actions are completely opposite of what they are saying.

AR starts a topic about his indignation over "Hate Speech" and he uses it to try to bully me into stooping to his level. Laker's Fan says we don't have cruise posts in here, yet he only posts to the one forum that is specifically not about cruising.

It is like some people believe in magic thinking. "If I want it to be true bad enough it will become true."

"If I say repuiblicans are racist enough times I can prove that they are racist." If I call them "teabaggers" enough times I can prove that they are twisted thinkers who don't really understand the root of the tea party movement was fiscal responsibility.

They want to redefine us - but we continue to stay the same, to hold onto our beliefs, and it makes them so mad they long ago resorted to mere name calling and gut-punching. They really want to duke it out- because they can't win the debate on its own merits.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
That's about as rude a post as I've seen. This isn't the "internet as a whole". If you're looking for "rough and tumble politics" I have no idea why you are even posting on a site that is a cruise site.
Well then, let me explain. First, I'm obviously NOT looking for rough and tumble politics or I wouldn't be here. I simply made the point that even at its worst, this site is quite tame. And that brings me to why I DO post here. I prefer those who are pretty smart and who can make their points reasonably well without resorting to some of the stuff you see on the kind of sites I mentioned.

Quote:
I take part in some of the discussions, but I would never presume to tell the site manager how to run THEIR site.
He can run his site any way he wants to, but he should have the courage of his convictions. If he doesn't want posts about this or that or the other thing he should ban them, not bellyache about them.

Quote:
In our "internal discussions" I disagree about certain criteria, but it is THEIR site. I know enough to understand that if I seriously object to its standards I should go elsewhere.
And that's precisely my point. Except for the person who complained to Paul privately, nobody, including him or you, has made the case that anybody here is violating any standards. Posts are seldom deleted, and most everybody here who disagrees about a lot of things would happily meet for a drink and dinner. So all I'm saying is either CHANGE the rules or accept what's going on, because what's going on is within the existing rules.

Quote:
Actually, I'm particularly disappointed in you, as we've known each other for a long time "on the net". I know you are an experienced cruiser. Yet you've given up offering any cruise opinions, or answer anyone's cruise questions, in favor of posting what you feel is topical or interesting, outside of cruising.
I'm happy to explain that. After literally years of, as you said, answering tons of cruise questions (quite well too, I might add), it just got way too deja-vu. I got crosseyed looking at endless dress code arguments, what's gourmet and what's not gourmet arguments, how much crap should I pack arguments, is a balcony worth the money arguments, airlines are too expensive arguments, my line is better than your line arguments, and all the rest. Just too many times around the same old track.

And I'll admit to something else as well: You know and I know that Terry and I travel a lot, and not all of it is on ships. After some years of posts by a large number of people for whom cruises are "the only way to go," I just got turned off. I mean, they're obviously welcome to feel that way, but it just doesn't match my approach to things. The "doc dance" thing drove me nuts (it's a ticket, people, try to get over it). And I began to feel like the odd man out in a sea (so to speak) of cruise-only "one-worlders."

Meanwhile, the people over here engaged in interesting conversations about topical issues, mostly agreed to disagree when necessary, and I just was drawn to the variety as opposed to the never-ending same ten arguments.

But you're right, we are experienced cruisers, we keep going back for more, and we still enjoy it tremendously. It's just that at this point I have very little to say about it that hasn't been said a million times before.

So that's my story. If you're offended, I'm sorry. I like you too, and you're one of the many here that I'd enjoy a drink and dinner with. Not only that, but you're right most of the time.

But not all the time!

Last edited by AR; August 25th, 2012 at 12:54 AM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:50 AM
Admiral

Default Obama vs.Romney

Quote:

The only thing Obama has to run on is making Romney look like a "cheating, selfish, tax-dodging religious whack-job"

So, the idea for Obama is to run a VERY negative campaign. However, the demos know that with that strategy the worst thing that could happen is the American public at the mainstream level all wake up and notice "Hey, he has no record to run on - all he is doing is saying negative things about Romney."

Once the public gets that - the emperor has no clothes. He has no alternative as a fallback, he has to run on his dismal record.

So - the demos are doing all they can to make sure it stays negative on both sides - so Obamacan run on the 'lesser of two evils' platform."

They have been doing this baiting of conservatives for years - calling us "teabaggers", "racists." etc. Neither name is correct - if there are any real teabaggers in this country they are democrats. And if we were racist we would not have Herman Cain, Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice.

See, with the left isn't about who's right or wrong, it's just about winning the battle. But if we don't engage in their street fighting, and we keep it about the issues, then Obama has to run on his record - and that is quickly becoming obviously a losing strategy.

See - its really ironic that people come in here to say "You at CruiseMates are 'this' or 'that" when their actions are completely opposite of what they are saying.

AR starts a topic about his indignation over "Hate Speech" and he uses it to try to bully me into stooping to his level. Laker's Fan says we don't have cruise posts in here, yet he only posts to the one forum that is specifically not about cruising.

It is like some people believe in magic thinking. "If I want it to be true bad enough it will become true."

"If I say repuiblicans are racist enough times I can prove that they are racist." If I call them "teabaggers" enough times I can prove that they are twisted thinkers who don't really understand the root of the tea party movement was fiscal responsibility.

They want to redefine us - but we continue to stay the same, to hold onto our beliefs, and it makes them so mad they long ago resorted to mere name calling and gut-punching. They really want to duke it out- because they can't win the debate on its own merits.
I cannot in good conscience vote for Obama .I am against Obamacare .
I am in agreement with Paul Ryan on 2 major issues both of which my feeling is that Paul Motter does not agree with Ryan .I'd be surprised if he did .

My plan as I have stated previously is to watch both political conventions ,listen to the debates and then make my choice .
Some of my closest friends and family are members of the Tea Bag Party .
I listen closely to all points of view on every issue .

One of my closest friends is a film Director in Hollywood .In 2007 he donated in excess of one million dollars to the Obama campaign .This year he is urging all his friends to vote for Romney .

Last edited by Lakers Fan; August 25th, 2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Paul.. I agree Obama has very little record to run on. However, I believe you and others are forgetting the rather short term history.

When he was running for the Democratic nomination, no one had any idea who close your economy was to total collapse. He made promises, which under other circumstances he might have at least had a chance to try to see if they worked.

By the time he actually took office, there was only a whisper of how bad the economy was. Heck, Wall Street was still selling toxic assets, while betting against them, and AIG was still insuring them.

Leading up to all that, with Republicans in control, they were showing no restraint in their spending. They cut taxes, and also had an amnesty for companies to bring money back to the US tax free.

Any results from that strengthen the economy?

People say "he can't keep blaming Bush", but in fact, Bush - or more directly - the congress left such a huge hole in the economy, it's laughable to think anyone could climb out of in such a short time.

There are plenty of extremists on both sides of the aisle that it's really easy for a reasonable thinking person to call them NUTS.

The name calling and lying are part of the political fabric of American elections. PERIOD.

So people just pick a side, and the other side is automatically considered trash.

Money and power seem to have taken over from reasoned thought.

I will say two stories this week bothered me that were "republican" stories.

1. The congressman from Missouri that seriously believed woman have a natural ability to stop from becoming pregnant after being raped.

Amazing someone that clearly stupid was already elected to congress, and had he not said something to CRAZY would have likely cakewalked into the Senate. And scarier yet, he may be still be elected.

2. All the suspicious talk of voter fraud.

I believe the approach should be similar to the basis of your legal system.... better a guilty man go free, than one innocent man be convicted.

I believe your system with 3 levels; the House, the Senate, and the Presidency was designed to force them to work together. Working together in the society that exists at the moment is nothing either side is interested in.

Maintaining those positions will only lead to further failure for the country.

The one thing I truly don't understand, and have no explanation for.... and I know you are in the market so maybe you can explain.

With such an awful economy, and a seemingly troubled future world wide, how the heck did the stock market more than double in value since the disaster of 2008?
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:35 AM
Captain

First I have to say that I don't understand the accusations about this board and the administration. I am on a lot of diverse forums. The reason I like it here is I find there are a lot of people who ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT! Even in a political debate, many of the regulars may not agree, but get some really good discussions going. I have had many of my well held ideas challenged.

Second, I have ALWAYS had my questions about cruising answered promptly and accurately. What more could I want from this site?

On politics - I will vote for Obama, my son, who has a lot of health problems, would not be on our insurance if it were not for so called "Obama Care." Obama actually did what no politician could do before him, he passed health care reform. Flawed, as even he admits, but a beginning. It the Republicans would have worked with him we could have had a good law, but it was more important to them to seek power that to seek the good of the nation.
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Captain

Smile

I feel that the comments made by Hank Willams JR were way out of line. I dont care if you agree or disagree with the President of the United States he is still are President and should be shown some respect. We should all support the President even if you disagree with him and if you dont like his opions you can always go vote at the next Election!
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Well then, let me explain. First, I'm obviously NOT looking for rough and tumble politics or I wouldn't be here. I simply made the point that even at its worst, this site is quite tame. And that brings me to why I DO post here. I prefer those who are pretty smart and who can make their points reasonably well without resorting to some of the stuff you see on the kind of sites I mentioned.

He can run his site any way he wants to, but he should have the courage of his convictions. If he doesn't want posts about this or that or the other thing he should ban them, not bellyache about them.

And that's precisely my point. Except for the person who complained to Paul privately, nobody, including him or you, has made the case that anybody here is violating any standards. Posts are seldom deleted, and most everybody here who disagrees about a lot of things would happily meet for a drink and dinner. So all I'm saying is either CHANGE the rules or accept what's going on, because what's going on is within the existing rules.

I'm happy to explain that. After literally years of, as you said, answering tons of cruise questions (quite well too, I might add), it just got way too deja-vu. I got crosseyed looking at endless dress code arguments, what's gourmet and what's not gourmet arguments, how much crap should I pack arguments, is a balcony worth the money arguments, airlines are too expensive arguments, my line is better than your line arguments, and all the rest. Just too many times around the same old track.

And I'll admit to something else as well: You know and I know that Terry and I travel a lot, and not all of it is on ships. After some years of posts by a large number of people for whom cruises are "the only way to go," I just got turned off. I mean, they're obviously welcome to feel that way, but it just doesn't match my approach to things. The "doc dance" thing drove me nuts (it's a ticket, people, try to get over it). And I began to feel like the odd man out in a sea (so to speak) of cruise-only "one-worlders."

Meanwhile, the people over here engaged in interesting conversations about topical issues, mostly agreed to disagree when necessary, and I just was drawn to the variety as opposed to the never-ending same ten arguments.

But you're right, we are experienced cruisers, we keep going back for more, and we still enjoy it tremendously. It's just that at this point I have very little to say about it that hasn't been said a million times before.

So that's my story. If you're offended, I'm sorry. I like you too, and you're one of the many here that I'd enjoy a drink and dinner with. Not only that, but you're right most of the time.

But not all the time!
AR .. I appreciate your response.... which kind of makes my point.

I know you are fully capable of expressing your opinions in a thoughtful and respectful manner.
Old August 25th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I feel that the comments made by Hank Willams JR were way out of line. I dont care if you agree or disagree with the President of the United States he is still are President and should be shown some respect. We should all support the President even if you disagree with him and if you dont like his opions you can always go vote at the next Election!
Okay - this is really quite funny. We have people here complaining about Hank Williams Junior, Ted Nugent and David Mustaine comments about the left - all three of them washed-up guitar players how have had no hits since the 1980s.

Meanwhile we have Vice-President Joe Biden saying Republicans want to keep African Americans in chains (!) and DNC chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schulz completely lying about Romney's position on abortion.

Record: Romney does not agree with Akin on abortion or "rape" (however he defined it). Romney agrees women should have choice in cases of rape, incest and when the health of the mother is in danger. That is not a "republican story" - the entire party asked Akin to drop his campaign immediately.

Did any democrats even speak up when Biden made that insane remark about blacks in chains? Only Charlie Rangel who called it "stupidity." In all fairnmess, Biden should be asked to resign - but of course the double standard for the left always applies.

Why has the stock market doubled since 2008?

There is no denying Wall Street laid an egg during the Bush years - what they did was unconscionable. But is it Bushes fault, or Congress? Who was at the head of the Congressional Banking and finance Committees during the second Bush Term? Democrats Barney Frank and Chris Dodd. The President in not in charge of watching Wall Street - congress is.

But most important - the stock market is based on the PRIVATE SECTOR economy, not dependent on the government for life support. Obama has nothing to do with it. The leading stocks are Apple and WalMart - companies that unfortunately have to depend on China for sourcing because of the restrictive tax codes on corporations currently in place now which Obama wants to raise even further (up to 35% - one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world). What do you thnk that will do for "American jobs?"

How well have government sponsored stocks done? Look at General Motors? It was de-listed in 2010, but when it came back under Obama control - after he illegally stole the rights and money of the bondholders - and handed the company to the unions the stock has dropped from a high of $35/share to a near low of $20/share. It has rallied in the last couple months (to $22) as a Romney Presidency looks more likely. Fannie Mae has all but disappeared.

Obama has tried to "cherry-pick" which stocks will do well in this economy - giving government sponsored loans to solar power companies like Solyndra which just used them up andthen declared bankruptcy.

Also - any citizens with money left have no place else to put it but the stock market. The housing market has done the opposite of the stock market - getting lower and lower since 2008. The same with Treasury Bills.

Even Gold has turned lower as Bernanke waffles between paying down our debt with government money (also known as "Printing money" - a tactic usually reserved for third world nations like Argentina) or continuing to have us spend a TRILLION DOLLARS A YEAR (mostly borrowed from China) so that now out of every dollar the US spends 40% goes to pay off our debt.

As far as health care - I have no arguments with health care reform. That is why I am glad Romney is the candidate. he is the only state governor who ever created a state-run health care plan. Along with Ryan who is a budget maniac, I hope they will come up with workable solutions that do not depend solely on the government to make our health care choices. I am very uncomfortable with Obama's tactic of using the IRS to reinforce mandatory buying of health insurance by private citizens.