Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 22nd, 2012, 05:48 PM
Admiral

Default Isaac

I remember that when New Orleans was devastated by hurricanes a few years ago, ol' Pat Robertson claimed that it was God's wrath descending on a sinful city. Wonder what Pat will say if Hurricane Isaac slams Tampa early next week during the Republican Convention. Especially interesting when you consider that the translation of "Isaac" is "He laughs."
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Hopefully it will not hit Tampa .
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:39 PM
Admiral

I am on the East coast of Fl and the weathermen have already gone into over drive about Issac. They won't know much for at least 2 more days if not more, maybe no real news on where it may go until Monday.

I have read that the powers that be have plans for if a hurricane goes to Tampa. I feel more for the people that live there and hope that nay plans the RNC has does not adversely affect the people of not only Tampa but the surrounding area.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old August 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
Admiral

I thought they put the guy into "The Home" along with that fella' who sounded as if he was from India and had the wierdest comb-over I'd ever seen and always stayed in Presidential suites). I always wanted to be one of those folks counting the money in the basement; you know "One for you, two for me..........."
Explorer of the Seas 2009, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2007, Eastern Caribbean
Explorer of the Seas 2006, Eastern Caribbean
Old August 25th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall
Send a message via AIM to Lisa Send a message via Yahoo to Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
I remember that when New Orleans was devastated by hurricanes a few years ago, ol' Pat Robertson claimed that it was God's wrath descending on a sinful city. Wonder what Pat will say if Hurricane Isaac slams Tampa early next week during the Republican Convention. Especially interesting when you consider that the translation of "Isaac" is "He laughs."
Really?!?!?!?! Politicizing a weather event??? Have some CM's stooped this low????? I am almost done with this site...........and that is a shame since I have been here since almost the beginning! And I don't think that I am the only one of some of the first posters that is thinking this!
Old August 25th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa View Post
Really?!?!?!?! Politicizing a weather event??? Have some CM's stooped this low????? I am almost done with this site...........and that is a shame since I have been here since almost the beginning! And I don't think that I am the only one of some of the first posters that is thinking this!
Lisa, please don't blame this site. AR was quoting what Pat Robertson said a few years ago.
There is allways some nut who has to come out and say something stupid.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Captain

Quote:
Lisa,

Please do not take this as a personal attack. I do not know you, however, from your post I would ascertain that you are likely a Conservative that was offended by the suggestion that the storm was God's judgement on the Republicans. If I am incorrect in this I apologies.

The reason that I am a Liberal and I really have a hard time with Conservative ideas it just this. It seems to me when a Liberal reads or hears something they do not like they either ignore it or want to engage in discussion about it.

When a Conservative reads or hears something they don't like they want to ban it or quit whatever activity or organization where they have encountered the alleged offense.

So if you decide to leave - goodbye.
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:13 AM
Admiral

Marsdude,

In reality, nobody gives a rat's patooie if you're Liberal, Conservative, a Communist or what the hell you believe in. It's none of our business, it's yours.

It's like if you wish to write something that most people thinks make you seem like a jackass yet you're firmly convinced in its validity, then write it. Some of the most absurd things I've read on this thread over the years are pretty equally divided between Liberal and Conservative.

Also, I've learned that some have a very wry sense of humor (which I tend to appreciate but that's me). If you're as Liberal as you claim then I must be a neo-Nazi when in fact, I'm probably more middle of the road than most. My biggest issue is factness. When someone says something I know is false and they're serious about it, then you're probably going to hear from me and I'll include my bona fides as well.

Oh, and I don't cut and run. If you make a true ass out of yourself with patently absurd statements especially if they deal with history, I'll point them out. If you ever want to argue with suh a point in print, especially if it deals with history, be my guest......any time!

Now sit back, chill, and if you're not aboard ship pour yourself one of those foo-foo drinks and enjoy life. Life's really fun, you know! If you don't believe me, bump in the roads and all, ask Ray! He just went through an horrific experience with one of the greatest outlooks I could believe. Hell, at times he even acted excited. Try that when your home is ruined.
Old August 25th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Quote:
Lisa... REALLY?

AR's post was simply being scarcastic, referring to the comments from Pat Robertson after Hurricane Katrina.

I can't believe people have become so sensitive to politics that they are unable to recognize that.

Guess we need two CM sites now. CruiseMates Democrats and CruiseMates Republicans, and we'll no doubt have to have them on separate servers
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old August 25th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Marsdude,

In reality, nobody gives a rat's patooie if you're Liberal, Conservative, a Communist or what the hell you believe in. It's none of our business, it's yours.

It's like if you wish to write something that most people thinks make you seem like a jackass yet you're firmly convinced in its validity, then write it. Some of the most absurd things I've read on this thread over the years are pretty equally divided between Liberal and Conservative.

Also, I've learned that some have a very wry sense of humor (which I tend to appreciate but that's me). If you're as Liberal as you claim then I must be a neo-Nazi when in fact, I'm probably more middle of the road than most. My biggest issue is factness. When someone says something I know is false and they're serious about it, then you're probably going to hear from me and I'll include my bona fides as well.

Oh, and I don't cut and run. If you make a true ass out of yourself with patently absurd statements especially if they deal with history, I'll point them out. If you ever want to argue with suh a point in print, especially if it deals with history, be my guest......any time!

Now sit back, chill, and if you're not aboard ship pour yourself one of those foo-foo drinks and enjoy life. Life's really fun, you know! If you don't believe me, bump in the roads and all, ask Ray! He just went through an horrific experience with one of the greatest outlooks I could believe. Hell, at times he even acted excited. Try that when your home is ruined.
Todd,

That was actually quite well said, and I agree with you.

As for horrific experiences, we just wen though the High Park Fire. We were evacuated for a month and when we got back to the retreat center I run we had 15 structure burnt to the ground, some of them quite significant to our operation. We are now closed the rest of the year and my days are spent cleaning up burnt buildings, cutting down some of the THOUSANDS of trees that were burnt on our 360 acres. Many of our frineds and one of our employees have lost their homes and everything they own. I have been through horrific and back. Yet, life is good.
Old August 25th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Hopefully the storm will not hit anyone, and all will go well.

Pat R said a whole paragraph that day, not just one sentence.

Lisa, I know how you feel, but the field looks better this morning. Hang in there.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 25th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Marsduke,

Gosh buddy, that is a hell of a hit and my heart's with you.

I shouldn't say this in public and especially here, but I have very little time left...a yeark maybe two barring some kind of miracle.

Yet I remain overall positive, I'm not about to lose my sense of humor (like when they worry about taking a leg off I just tell 'em, "Hell, I'll finally lose that extra weight so ask me if I give a rat's patooie (except I of course reduce that term to only three letters)."

As are now you, I think we all have been through tragedies and I am amazed at the eventual positive attitude the victim often develops. Maybe it's human nature but that's beyond my level of either education or comprehension.

I sincerely hope that you not only rebuild but you are more successful than your wildest dreams! It's happened you know!

Good Luck and the Best of Wishes
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:25 PM
Admiral

Lighten up it was funny or at least I thought so.

Home is where you park your flip flops

~Robin~

Need some cruise help?

Carnival - Fantasy 1998
RCCL - Majesty of the Sea 2000
Carnival - Inspiration 2009
Carnival - Freedom 2011
Carnival - Liberty 2013
Carnival- Breeze 2014
Old August 26th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Location: Wisconsin....about 100 miles south of the Frozen Tundra and 70 miles east of Camp Randall

Actually, Marsdude, I am an INDEPENDENT! I have no allegiance to either party and have voted both ways....not that I should have to explain my political beliefs to anyone or which way I am leaning.

I am just sick and tired of both sides politicizing the weirdest things and the main stream media making mountains out of molehills when members of one party are concerned and turning the other cheek when the other party is involved. I lived through the recall madness here in Wisconsin....and we have not had a break since 2010 with all the political crap!

And some may take this as a backhanded apology, but when I posted my comment last night, It had been after the night from he"doublehockeysticks" at work, dealing with a dying patient (an absolute sweetheart) who had one of the most dysfunctional families I have ever had to deal with, even one of them bringing politics into the fact that their loved one was dying...somehow this person believed that a certain politician was at fault......
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Guess we need two CM sites now. CruiseMates Democrats and CruiseMates Republicans, and we'll no doubt have to have them on separate servers

Maybe one for Independents as well.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old August 26th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Admiral

I sent a PM to Paul Motter yesterday refuting some of the allegations posted by me . I also asked not to be referred to as a Liberal .I have voted for Democrats ,Republicans ,Conservatives and minority party candidates .
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddDH View Post
Marsduke,

Gosh buddy, that is a hell of a hit and my heart's with you.

I shouldn't say this in public and especially here, but I have very little time left...a yeark maybe two barring some kind of miracle.

Yet I remain overall positive, I'm not about to lose my sense of humor (like when they worry about taking a leg off I just tell 'em, "Hell, I'll finally lose that extra weight so ask me if I give a rat's patooie (except I of course reduce that term to only three letters)."

As are now you, I think we all have been through tragedies and I am amazed at the eventual positive attitude the victim often develops. Maybe it's human nature but that's beyond my level of either education or comprehension.

I sincerely hope that you not only rebuild but you are more successful than your wildest dreams! It's happened you know!

Good Luck and the Best of Wishes
Thanks Todd.

Your post really helped me at this time. My thoughts are with you! Thanks and you are so right, the only way to go is to stay positive!
Old August 26th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Captain

Quote:
Actually, Marsdude, I am an INDEPENDENT! I have no allegiance to either party and have voted both ways....not that I should have to explain my political beliefs to anyone or which way I am leaning.

I am just sick and tired of both sides politicizing the weirdest things and the main stream media making mountains out of molehills when members of one party are concerned and turning the other cheek when the other party is involved. I lived through the recall madness here in Wisconsin....and we have not had a break since 2010 with all the political crap!

And some may take this as a backhanded apology, but when I posted my comment last night, It had been after the night from he"doublehockeysticks" at work, dealing with a dying patient (an absolute sweetheart) who had one of the most dysfunctional families I have ever had to deal with, even one of them bringing politics into the fact that their loved one was dying...somehow this person believed that a certain politician was at fault......
Understood Lisa. I am a registered Indie also. I actually agree with you about the way both sides act. The OP's post was actually a poke at that type of thing IMHO.
Old August 27th, 2012, 05:07 AM
Admiral

Meanwhile, Isaac heads back to New Orleans 7 years later almost to the date.
Old August 27th, 2012, 08:33 AM
Admiral

I'm seeing this all over the place - who's line is it anyway?

So what does it mean if Issac does not hit Tampa? Who's laughing then?

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Pat Robertson is a lunatic - and so is anyone who says any weather events is "God's punishment" - What about all the good people who live in that city?

It's ridiculous.

Lisa, I like this a lot... and I toally agree:

Quote:
That is why we moved these topics to a separate area - I hoe you will stay in the regular chat area for a welcome relief from this kind of contentiousness.

But please keep in mind that we still have the same rules here for no name-calling and no negative characterizations of people as we have in other areas of the site.

In my opinion - anyone who resorts to anecdotal eveidence (stories vs, statictics) as proof of anything an entire party or the candidate believes is grasping at straws. As far as I know it is impossible to truly put word in a person's mouth, though it is a tactic tried far too often in politics.
Old September 2nd, 2012, 02:41 AM
Admiral

Thanks, Paul. I am sticking around. Just needed to vent one time.