Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 25th, 2012, 09:14 PM
First Mate

Default Likeable?

I suspect that anyone who is even going to visit this area, much less post on it, will have experienced times when the question arose as to how ANYONE could possibly believe what someone else just said. Certainly, I have. There have been occasions, though, when I got an explanation for holding those beliefs that I could at least intellectually accept, even though I could not share the reasoning.

Which brings me to my question, and I mean it in all honesty: What specifically do so many people find "likeable" about Barack Obama? I keep hearing about polls in which people who dislike his policies, and think the country is headed in the wrong direction, nonetheless find him personally likeable. WHY?

I admit that part of the reason I find this so incomprehensible is that every time I hear him speak I am vividly reminded of a long-ago college professor. That particular gentleman, whenever asked by a student to explain a statement, would first look annoyed and then repeat exactly what he had previously said, only LOUDER.
Sponsored Links
Old August 25th, 2012, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I can only speak for myself, but I admire President Obama. With the way he was raised, he could have ended up in a far different place in life.

He speaks well with a telepromter, he is nice looking, and he is commited to his beliefs, in the direction he wants this country to go.

I just wished he has waited a few years, before he ran.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 29th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Luanne - good point. I agree he was far too inexperienced for the job, (the most inexperienced President ever) and I sort of think he himself couldn't believe he got elected and he knew it was too soon (experience-wise). But it isn't his fault he was elected, the American voters should make better decisions.

I think a lot of people like Barack as a person - he is intelligent, pretty affable and not bad looking, good at sports, etc.

I understand why people like him in the "Celebrity" sense. He is the person they would rather "have a beer with" - Hey, you couldn't have a beer with Romney even you wanted to - he has probably never even tasted beer his entire life.

But I personally have just never understood why people even talk about the "who would you rather have a beer with" concept when it comes to politics. I don't know any politicians I would like to have a beer with, and I actually prefer that they remain sober anyway.

People said the same thing about George W Bush - that Gore was "stiff" and W won because he was the guy you would rather have a beer with. I never liked G.W. personally at all. I couldn't stand to look at his smirky face and I thought he was wrong about a lot of politics - especially economics. He was NOT a "business person" like Mitt - he basically failed at many businesses before he was Prez.

I think he was right to be tough on terrorism. But I think he should have focused on Bin Laden more than Iraq.

But getting back to Obama - I am glad this country has seen a black President. It's a good precedent. But there are a lot of other black politicians - including democrats, I would rather have seen in the position before Obama. And to be clear it has nothing to do with "likability" That is not an issue to me. The only thing I care about is competence.

Being likable is good if its there, but it is just way down the scale of things that matter to me. Apart from his politics do I "like" barack Obama?

It's a pointless question to me. Yes, I like him, I love him, I think he is uber-cool. I hope he has a nice professional speaking career after his presidency.