Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Default Maybe Rushbo is Nuts After All

In another thread I said that he wasn't nuts, just a serial hatemonger. I repent and recant due to the following news item:

Rush Limbaugh had a typically unique take on the threat of Tropical Storm Isaac during his Monday show, appearing to suggest that the Obama administration had tampered with the forecasts of the storm to hurt the Republicans. "With none of this am I alleging conspiracy," he said on Monday. It sure sounded like he was alleging one, though.
He went on to note that the Hurricane Center that monitors such things is "the regime," as he put it. "It's the government. It's Obama."
Limbaugh said that he grew suspicious because he noticed that the forecast for Isaac had shifted dramatically away from Florida soon after the Republicans canceled the first day of the convention.
"What could be better for the Democrats than the Republicans to cancel a day of this?" he said. "...I'm alleging no conspiracy. I'm just telling you, folks, when you put this all together in this timeline, I'm telling you, it's unbelievable!"

Explorer of the Seas October 2013
Caribbean Princess July 2006, May 2010 & November 2012
Monarch of the Seas November 2008
Crown Princess November 2007
Celebrity Zenith November 2005
Enchantment of the Seas August 2004
Sponsored Links
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
Captain

He will say anything to get attention. He is the worst type of media whore that you could imagine.

The scary thing is the amount of people that lap his stuff up.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Admiral

I've listened to Rush since day 1 in 1988, almost daily. As with much of Rush's commentary, it requires the listener to have a more fully developed comprehension of absurdity and irony as well as a history with the show. I find that most of his critics do not actually listen to the show. Instead they get talking points from the various liberal websites that track his every word.

You may recall that in 2005 with Katrina, people made wild claims that President Bush had somehow steered that storm towards New Orleans and the NWS was involved. Rush commented on them at that time, and thus yesterday's comments.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:09 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

The last few years, spending my winters in Arizona, I love listening to Rush. It's full blown entertainment, and funnier than most comedians.

I don't think Rush believes 95% of what he says. He found a money tree, and assumed a persona that made him incredibly rich, and plays it up, sometimes beyond the sense of reason. Not unlike a Howard Stern really; just as far out there, but leans to political adsurdity.

The "Rush persona" is more absurd, and perhaps worriesome, because it does seem a significant number of his listeners don't have the ability to filter out the reality from the theater.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Admiral

Kuki- I agree with your assesment. I think he is a closeted Democrat playing a role he devised years ago. Why else would he live a lifestyle counter to the kind a good Christian Republican would? Multiple marriages and Elton John performing at his wedding?

Old August 28th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Yeah - I think the key is that Rush has to strive to come up with something different that not everyone else is saying (I know the feeling when it comes to cruise articles I have to write) and I have to admit the same thought about whether or not the weather reports were wrong or just bloviated occured to me.

Hey - you know the news media has been known to slant stories towards to worst possible conclusion - and they may have done so in reporting the Hurricane. Look at the reporting that was done on H1N1 for example (way bloviated).

So, no I don't think the Obama administration did it, or that the media did it on purpose. But did the media highlight the "threat" to Tampa vociferiously before they knew where it was going to hit. Arguably yes.

But I am just saying that could have happened and it could have been intentional. But I wouldn't go where Rush did. Like Glenn beck he knows he has a certain audience he has to appeal to.

I watched Ed Schulz last night claiming everything Romney said yesterday was outright Racist. He said the word "racist" probably 25 times in 10 minutes...

Then they would show clips of Romney speaking at different events and the phrase he was using was "that's not the American way." - so I guess saying anything (it was about a number of topics) is "The American way" equals being racist now.

He calls it using "reverse psychology" on the American people. The video is below - go to about 2:00 minutes in....

Romney blows birther dog-whistle with 'joke' - The Ed Show

and click on the second clip = "Romney unveils new twist on welfare falsehoods."

I had no idea - did you?
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:41 AM
Admiral

I can take about 10 minutes (max) of Ed Shultz. Just another out on the ledge radio guy who was given a TV show. I am amazed that he has any audience because he isn't even entertaining, just like Al Sharpton.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:42 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougR. View Post
Kuki- I agree with your assesment. I think he is a closeted Democrat playing a role he devised years ago. Why else would he live a lifestyle counter to the kind a good Christian Republican would? Multiple marriages and Elton John performing at his wedding?
Ummm... I am conservative and I have a lot of gay friends and I also play in a rock band as a lead guitarist.

Do you really think all Republicans are like Rick Santorum, or do you realize that the vast majority of us are in the party for its fiscal approach and that we don't really care about the social issues. I am personally for gay marriage and a certain amount of choice - kind of like Mitt. And not like Obama who just flip flopped on his stand on Gay marriage.

If you spend much time with Rupublicans you would see that we rarely talk about social issues (some Republicans specialize in it more than others) - it is the Democrats scare-mongering monorities by saying we hate them. But there are solid reasons why Romney is the nominee and not Santorum - because most of us do not think the social issues are important enough to base our pick on them.

What proof do I have?

Ruch Limbaugh having multiple marriages and having Elton John at a wedding?
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I like to watch the MSNBC to see what they are saying, and I was amazed at the desperation I saw for them to paint Romney as a vampire.

I think Rachel Maddow is effective, even though she really stretches the truth by trying to associate everything any Republican says (like Akin) as being Romney's responsibility.

I saw a great interview with Lawrence O'donnell last night who had Tom Brokaw on as a guest - and Tom said "Hey, I think Romney's "birther" comment was just a bad attempt at a joke" and within 10 minutes they had Brokaw off the air.

But I like to watch them to see what the demos are saying and thnking - and even they are saying that Obama is intentionally going negative because he can't find anything in his record to run on.

At least we all agree there.
Old August 28th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Admiral

Paul... sadly I think the extremes of both parties are exaggerated by the media.

Just as you feel many Republican views are misrepresented, I see the same thing being done by Republicans towards Democrats.

There's no question in my mind that both parties have some real nut jobs in their heirarchy, and they all get featured because their views are way out there, and that makes them "newsy".

This leads to distortions of all kinds, and unfortunately people just side with the distorted positions which are at least closer to what they want to believe.
Old August 28th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Ummm... I am conservative and I have a lot of gay friends and I also play in a rock band as a lead guitarist.

Do you really think all Republicans are like Rick Santorum, or do you realize that the vast majority of us are in the party for its fiscal approach and that we don't really care about the social issues. I am personally for gay marriage and a certain amount of choice - kind of like Mitt. And not like Obama who just flip flopped on his stand on Gay marriage.

If you spend much time with Rupublicans you would see that we rarely talk about social issues (some Republicans specialize in it more than others) - it is the Democrats scare-mongering monorities by saying we hate them. But there are solid reasons why Romney is the nominee and not Santorum - because most of us do not think the social issues are important enough to base our pick on them.

What proof do I have?

Ruch Limbaugh having multiple marriages and having Elton John at a wedding?
In my corner of the great state of NJ I am surrounded by Republicans and you are correct, I have rarely heard them speak of social issues. The party, however, has been hijacked by the religious right, who insist on a platform that has something to alienate nearly everyone. Unfortunately the fiscal conservatives have to kowtow to them. That is why I cannot be a Republican, although I am fiscally conservative and support the Republicans locally.

On the other hand, the Democrats do have the looney left to contend with, however it seems that they control them a lot better than the Republicans control the ridiculous right.

I guess I would classify myself as one of the "Blue Dog" Democrats.

Old August 28th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I like to watch the MSNBC to see what they are saying, and I was amazed at the desperation I saw for them to paint Romney as a vampire.

I think Rachel Maddow is effective, even though she really stretches the truth by trying to associate everything any Republican says (like Akin) as being Romney's responsibility.

I saw a great interview with Lawrence O'donnell last night who had Tom Brokaw on as a guest - and Tom said "Hey, I think Romney's "birther" comment was just a bad attempt at a joke" and within 10 minutes they had Brokaw off the air.

But I like to watch them to see what the demos are saying and thnking - and even they are saying that Obama is intentionally going negative because he can't find anything in his record to run on.

At least we all agree there.
As I've said before, knowing an election was coming up I'm sure the vast majority of people expected the Republicans to simply win in a runaway.

The thing is, they selected a weak candidate, and that's why it's even close.

Romney has been running for President for 9 years. The Republicans didn't like him last time, and they didn't like him this time.

I don't think anyone can deny he has veared to the right in an attempt to lure people, because seemingly the party has veared to the right.

That leaves people wondering where he would actually govern from if elected.

The Republican party really seems to have always taken a "who's next in line" approach, rather than digging to find a really solid leader.

Some might wonder why I invest so much time in watching and listening to the American election. Aside from the entertainment value I find in it, how the US goes has an awful lot to do with how the world economy goes.
Old August 28th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Admiral

We all know the vacuum in George W's head was the root cause of Katrina.

As for Rush blaming Obama for the weather? I'm going to vote for the guy who can control the weather!
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Do you really think all Republicans are like Rick Santorum, or do you realize that the vast majority of us are in the party for its fiscal approach and that we don't really care about the social issues.
Same for me. I am pro-capitalist and do not want the government involved in my personal life, which is what it has increasingly done. I don't care about what people do in their bedrooms. I am tired of bearing a high tax burden while most Americans bear little or none of it. That is it. I have gay friends. Some of them are also conservatives.
Old August 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post

The "Rush persona" is more absurd, and perhaps worriesome, because it does seem a significant number of his listeners don't have the ability to filter out the reality from the theater.
What leads you to that conclusion? That 'a significant number of his listeners' take his every word as gospel?
Old August 28th, 2012, 08:41 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
Same for me. I am pro-capitalist and do not want the government involved in my personal life, which is what it has increasingly done. I don't care about what people do in their bedrooms. I am tired of bearing a high tax burden while most Americans bear little or none of it. That is it. I have gay friends. Some of them are also conservatives.
Yes, all of the reasons I used to vote Republican sometimes in the past. After the party got in bed with the religious right and moved to the Extreme Right - I was done with them.
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
What leads you to that conclusion? That 'a significant number of his listeners' take his every word as gospel?
I said a significant number aren't able to filter out the difference between the reality and the theater.

Dave... that's not quite what I said. But... I believe what I did say because when listening to Rush, I also listen to those who call into his program. I have to believe they are expressing their real opinions because they aren't being paid big bucks to be part of the "program".
Old August 29th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Admiral

Since we are on a Rushbo watch: Yesterday he advocated plugging the levees in New Orleans with bags of cash so the democrats will drown trying to get the money. ::

Old August 29th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Admiral

Since Rush has established that President Obama can control the weather, the next step is to blame him for the severe drought that we are facing in many parts of the country.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16
Old August 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Admiral

I have never been in a rush to listen to Limbaugh .
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
Yes, all of the reasons I used to vote Republican sometimes in the past. After the party got in bed with the religious right and moved to the Extreme Right - I was done with them.

That is really harsh.

It is sad that so many things are being said about the Republicans, with the name calling, but issues are not being discussed.

I think the most important question is who is going to lead us in this country? Everyone needs a leader.

Could Rommney be the answer, or is President Obama going to finally walk down the street to make deals, in order for this country to get back on it's feet.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Could Rommney be the answer, or is President Obama going to finally walk down the street to make deals, in order for this country to get back on it's feet.
And, may I add. When are the American people going to start to make a push to buy American made products.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015

Booked Allure of the Seas... 2 / 21 / 16 *Last Gang Cruise*
Booked Celebrity Equinox ... 4 / 4 / 16
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I think the most important question is who is going to lead us in this country? Everyone needs a leader.

Luanne.. I recall during the debates in the Republican primaries, when the candidates were asked if they would accept a deal with $10 in cuts to $1 in increased revenues.

EVERY candidate said NO! If one had said... well it would depend on if the proposed cuts were proposed, and what the expected results of the cuts would be. That would have made the candidate sound like a reasonable leader. Didn't happen. They all just said no.

If Romney does win the election, but the control of the House and Senate remain the same, he's likely to find the same gridlock President Obama did.

If President Obama is reelected in the same scenario, I do think the Republicans would be forced to negotiate and pass some actual business.

So, while the Presidential election is certainly important, all the local elections of congressman and senators is at least of equal importance.
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:03 AM
Admiral

I agree with you Kuki, but there have been presidents who made a effort to work with the other side. Reagan, and Clinton come to mind. The problem with President Obama is he has not made the effort, and these are his words, but not put in that way.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 29th, 2012, 11:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I agree with you Kuki, but there have been presidents who made a effort to work with the other side. Reagan, and Clinton come to mind. The problem with President Obama is he has not made the effort, and these are his words, but not put in that way.
Luanne... that is just not true. At one point it was widely reported that President Obama and House Speaker John Boehner were close to a $4 BILLION structure to at least attempt to address the debt, and revenue.

Then John Boehner was unable to "sell it" to his party. He came back and said they had an agreement, and the President tried to add to it.

It's possible that's what happened, but the President denied it.

They would be the only ones privy to "the truth".
Old August 29th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Admiral

BTW... is was after that incident they agreed to the "Super Committee", whose failure led to the STUPID sequestration agreement... that is now LOOMING.
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Admiral

I do agree with you that enough has not been done. Many people at fault.

This is one of the reasons I like Term limits. If there was not as much running, maybe more could get done.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 29th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I have to disagree with the idea that Republicans are not united behind Mitt - compared to the way they treated McCain four years ago or even the 2010 elections when the Tea Party tried to insert their candidates into races via primaries and the Reps ended up losing elections as a result.

I see a really different Republican Party this year - there are no tea party demonstrations. Santorum (the social issues candidate) lost. And this year they are not harping on the "RINO" theme that was common four years ago.

Of course the left wants the middle to think nothing has changed on the right - but if you don't see the difference you are probably only watching and believing everything the left is saying about the right and not really looking at what is happening on the right.

Get off of MSNBC and just watch CNN for a change - I know Fox is biased to the right (not that I mind, but I certainly don't buy into everything they say). For that matter, just listen to Tom Brokaw when they have him on MSNBC. He certainly doesn't buy into all the broad-brush negativism some of their commentators are trying to sell us.

I just want to say this - I don't "hate" MSNBC any more that I "love" Fox (I don't love Fox, I actually don't care for a lot of things they do). But I do care about politics. I don't think what really happens in politics is accurately portrayed by the media, so while Rush is crazy, so is Ed Schulz, and for that matter Chris Mathews and their constant harping about racism.

You know what - calling us "racists" is not only completely innaccurate - it is insulting - and the fact that that tactics seems to be what some of the MSNBC commentators feel is most effective as a way to make people hate the right just makes me feel they are desperate and without morals.

Hey - I just voted for a black man for our house primary yesterday, and he WON our district in the Republican primary. His name is Vernon Jordan and I know you've never even heard of him. I doubt that MSNBC will be reporting that any time soon. The runner-up was a white woman.

"racists, war on women" = unfounded lies.
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:44 PM
Admiral

Paul,

The Vernon Jordan, or is this his son? He would be in his 60's now. I actually know him very well, and since he has not been in the news, I figured he had retired.

I use to watch MSNBC, but got sick of the Bush bashing. It did nothing but make people angry.

I am still saddend by the fact that there is no real news stations. I can listen to speeches and understand. I don't need someone to tell me what I think.

I was talking to a Fox news person this morning on FB. I told him that tonight I hoped he closed his mouth long enough for us to hear the speeches. I wasn't trying to be rude, and I told him so, but I feel like these conventions are very important, so that people pick the right man.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old August 29th, 2012, 01:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
If President Obama is reelected in the same scenario, I do think the Republicans would be forced to negotiate and pass some actual business.
When President Obama is reelected...