Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 29th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Lords Hotel

[I was going to post this under Hotels but thought this was the better forum for it]

Looking for a pre-cruise hotel in Miami and came across this property. Not it doesn't serve a religious mission but the targeted clientele is gay men. Don't think we'll book there. It would be odd to be a straight couple surrounded by same-sex couples. But I guess that is the point, for many it is less than comfortable being a gay couple in a heterosexual world.

Anyway, it got me thinking. I'm sure as a commercial enterprise they would gladly take my money as long as I didn't make any stupid complaints. But I always wonder about niche marketing. Where do you draw the line between affinity marketing and discrimination?

Which of these would you be comfortable with, assuming they allowed anyone to book a room, regardless of race, creed, color, etc.

Ebony - a hotel for African Americans
Ganges - catering Hindus

how about (I'm going to quit making up names) hotels catering to white people, straight couples, or Christians

They say we are moving to a minority-majority, or however that goes. Maybe some of these are not so far-fetched

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014
Sponsored Links
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Several years ago, my girlfriend and I went on a cruise and met up with a couple of guys on the cruise who we met here on Cruisemates.

As it turned out, they were a gay couple, and we enjoyed having them on the cruise with us.

After the cruise, they invited us to their Halloween party, and as it turned out, we were the only straight couple there. In fact my girlfriend was the only woman there! We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves, and didn't feel odd about being the only straight couple there. I got a contact from one of the guys there, which led me to a job.

As for hotel/motel accomodations, I'm more concerned with if the clientele is loud/obnoxious, rude, disrespectful, etc. One night at a motel, the straight couple in the next room kept us up for awhile with her screams of "Oh, g*d, oh g*d." (Of course, her vocalizations would have fit right in at the Lords Hotel........)

Old August 29th, 2012, 05:58 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I think the question in itself is inherently racist and biased.

I would not feel unfortable in either situation because people are people.

I don't book hotels based on their cleintele, I book them based on price, comfort and location. I would not care what the rest of the clientele looks like or what their sexual preferences may be.

This brings up the whole question of "who is racist?"

Those who see race and continually comment about how unracist they are - or the person who truly does not see race and does not categorize people that way?

I am just about to post an article I just read about MSNBC - you will see it. I see their intentional omissions of minority candidate speeches at the RNC to be as equally racist as everything they claim Republicans to be.