Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 26th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Default Romney tries to justify his lies - and FAILS

Romney: My ads have been ‘spot on’ – CNN Political Ticker - CNN.com Blogs
Sponsored Links
Old September 26th, 2012, 07:40 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

That's right - at least Obama was honest enough to admit that his political ads were "over the top" - but 60 Minutes chose not to air that.

But this is important - here you are complaining about ads.

Imagine how you would feel if you had the entire national news media working against you?

That's what Republicans face. Obama can makes gaffes until the cows come home:

1. Libya was a result of a movie (he is STILL claiming that even though Hillary, the State Dept and the President of Libya have all said it was terrorism).

2. He is only responsible for 10% of his administration's debt - the rest was (still) left-over Bush's fault. The fact checkers gave him "four Pinocchios" (most inaccurate possible) on that statement today.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...9258_blog.html

3. Romney paid a lower tax rate than the average American making $50,000 (in fact he paid a higher rate than people making over $100k) 14% - not counting charitable deductions (counting those he gave out about 35% of his income).

4. That Romney wants to raise taxes on people making $50,000/year. No, he wants to keep the Bush tax cuts in place and lower capital gains and corporate taxes.

5. That Romney wants to end Medicare and under that plan it will be bankrupt by 2016. (in fact Romney's plan cuts the same 750 billion that Obamacare cuts - but there are other details)

But then you have the media - these are so stupid its laughable:

1. Romney doesn't know why airplane windows don't roll down (Yes, MSNBC was reporting this as if he really didn't know).

2. That Paul Ryan has gone "rogue" and secretly call Romney "the Stench" - this is based a comment made by a totally minor EX-republican official who now writes a column in Iowa. he said "IF ROMNEY LOSES then Ryan will have to get the stench of that off of his resume."

Basically, he was just making a comment on how politics works.

Afterwards - a Politico writer made up a satire piece (a fairy tale) where he wrote that Ryan refers to Romney as "Stench" - and that Ryan said "If Stench calls tell him I'm eating finger sandwiches with Peggy Noonan."

I repeat - this was fiction, a fairy tale written by a hack blogger. Ryan knew nothing about this.

None other than Nobel Prize Winner Paul Krugman in the New York Times, and MSNBCs Laurence O'Donnell actually reported that Paul Ryan said those words. They reported it as fact.

That is criminal - but guess what, they have not even apologized or admitted their mistake yet. They are just saying "it wasn't our fault, the blog didn't say "satire" at the top."

Idiots - libelous idiots. You are mad about ads, imagine if Obama was treated like that?

In the same week as the Sept 11 terror attacks in Libya; 92% of media reports were negative stories about Romney, 8% were about the fact that there were terrorist warnings in Libya before the attack.
Old September 26th, 2012, 08:29 PM
First Mate

How about lies that directly affect you and me?

- "If you like your health insurance, you can keep it." (Obamacare killed Medicare Advantage plans for millions)

- "I will lower the average person's health insurance cost by $2000 per year." (Typical INCREASE is about $3000)

- "A national debt of $9 trillion is unpatriotic. I will cut it in half by the end of my first term." (currently $16 trillion)

and on and on. Yes, he blames everything on Bush, two wars and a Medicare drug plan; but those were already ongoing when he was running for office and did not keep him from making unrealistic promises in order to get elected.
Old September 26th, 2012, 09:01 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

And yet people think he will somehow become a different person when (if) he is re-elected.

If anything (as he whispered to Putin) "he will have a lot more flexibility when the elections are over."

Let's hope he has a LOT more flexibility.
Old September 26th, 2012, 10:01 PM
Admiral

Fox News is against Romney? He's in serious trouble.

The only people who have raised my taxes since President Obama has been in office are republicans - and that's a FACT.

Parrots, um people, can post all the hearsay they want, but Myth is the bigger liar.
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Captain

The only way to look at a political discussion on a forum like this, is that it is for fun only. I don't think I have ever seen anyone change their mind.

We can all list pages and pages of "facts" that can be reputed by pages and pages of other "facts."

For me it is simple. As long as one party allows their fringe elements to have so much power, I will not vote for that party either side. This is not the direction we need to go.

The media is definitely a problem with this because any one out there can make some foolish statement and becomes reported as fact.

We facing issues that could mean radical change on our planet and in society, and we are talking about airplane windows? Give me a break.
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Admiral

Marsdude,

I think you make a good point. It seems all too often that once people make up their minds, their attitude is, "don't bother me with the facts..."

As a historian, I've come to learn that just because you think an event went a certain way, doesn't mean that it really went that way. For example, I thought I had a decent handle on the events along the Death Railway (popularly known as the Bridge on the River Kwai episode) in Burma and Thailand. But after reading a new history book which chronicles those events in great detail, I've discovered that I had many of the facts wrong. (As an aside, there wasn't just one bridge, there were actually 688!)

It is occasionally humbling studying history, because you can get knocked down a peg or two. But the important thing is the effort to continue learning, and to strive to learn the truth, whatever it may be, despite your preconceived notions of it.

Last edited by Mean Dean; September 27th, 2012 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:52 PM
Admiral

When it comes to elections, especially Presidential ones, facts are anything but.

People like to toss out statistics and claim they are facts when they aren't. You can find statistics to support just about anything.

Like the saying goes,

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Old September 30th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Captain

There really is just one fact that matters in this election. I believe this fact will be proven on election day.

The current Republican Party has become way too far to the right and even radically so. This is not good for our country and the majority of the people realize this.

I believe that is why Romney really has no chance to win and many of the moderates in the Republican party believe this also. Perhaps a huge positive thing that will come from an Obama win will be the restructuring of the Rep Party into something that more closely reflect the values of the common person.