Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Familiar Face

Default “Well, that’s a bullshitter, I can tell.” President Obama using vulgarity?

Really classy. What lies under the smiling veneer of the polished glib president who is floundering.

The comment made waves through the punditry Thursday. Romney senior adviser Bay Buchanan appeared on Fox News Channel, where she characterized it as the extension of the “one long negative commercial” that has been the Obama campaign. She said voters will not appreciate Obama’s comments.

“Women in particular do not think that name-calling is an appropriate response," Buchanan said.
Sponsored Links
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Honestly, in my own opinion, I don't consider the term "vulgarity". I think it's become more of current generational slang.

I'm more curious as to why candidates seem to have an "unwritten code" where they don't seem to be able to come right out and call each other liars.
Old October 26th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

What I don't understand is why all the name calling. Isn't a bully someone who covers up their failures by calling names?

I also wonder with the statement from above, if Obama has lowered the bar for the future?

What about the State of the Union? Will we now hear, "To hell with you I'm doing what I want to do?"
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old October 26th, 2012, 06:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
Honestly, in my own opinion, I don't consider the term "vulgarity". I think it's become more of current generational slang.

I'm more curious as to why candidates seem to have an "unwritten code" where they don't seem to be able to come right out and call each other liars.
I think President Obama did call Myth a liar during one of the debates - or at least flat out tell him he was lying.

When it comes to noses, Myth's is much longer.

Done: Carnival Vista Maiden Voyage, May 1, 2016
DONE: Carnival Triumph Journeys Cruise, Oct 24, 2015

Carnival Sunshine, Aug 29, 2015

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...

Old October 26th, 2012, 06:40 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
What I don't understand is why all the name calling. Isn't a bully someone who covers up their failures by calling names?

I also wonder with the statement from above, if Obama has lowered the bar for the future?

What about the State of the Union? Will we now hear, "To hell with you I'm doing what I want to do?"
Luanne... sorry, but I don't consider that name calling, or bullying. If you do, then I'd venture to say you may have never been bullied. I have, and understand; it's when a comment, regardless of the "word" spoken is made with intention to inflict emotional pain on the person it is directed to.

I suppose the President could have saild he spoke "inarticulately" , but right or wrong, he said what he meant in regard to his opponents politicing.

Or he could have more " politically correctly" said... With all due respect I think my good friend Mr. Romeny is a bullshiter" .
Old October 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM
First Mate

Have any of you seen the Obama "Girl's First Time" ad? I would LOVE to know the positive/negative ratio among women voters reacting to it. I've got to believe it is heavy in the negative; there are a lot more women voters over 30 than under.
Old October 26th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Kuki,

I should have explained better. I consider all of the names that have been said about Romney, not just this one thing.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 26th, 2012, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
Have any of you seen the Obama "Girl's First Time" ad? I would LOVE to know the positive/negative ratio among women voters reacting to it. I've got to believe it is heavy in the negative; there are a lot more women voters over 30 than under.

I posted the video on here last night when I first saw it, and most commented they didn't believe it was real.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 27th, 2012, 12:20 AM
Captain

You are right, Luanne, it does appear to be real. But you have to admit it is a bizarre ad.

Booked: Carnival Sunshine March 04, 2017 8-day Southern Caribbean

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old October 27th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
You are right, Luanne, it does appear to be real. But you have to admit it is a bizarre ad.

I think bizarre is a good word to use. I also realize it was probably made with young people in mind, but I worry the bar has been lowered. I know I am a little old fashion, but the subject matter bothered me. Anyone's first time is suppose to be special, and it seems they have connected the to subjects to close together.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old October 28th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Admiral

The main ingredients in politics are BS, lies, inuendos and flip-floping.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old October 28th, 2012, 02:04 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by iconic View Post
Really classy. What lies under the smiling veneer of the polished glib president who is floundering.

The comment made waves through the punditry Thursday. Romney senior adviser Bay Buchanan appeared on Fox News Channel, where she characterized it as the extension of the “one long negative commercial” that has been the Obama campaign. She said voters will not appreciate Obama’s comments.

“Women in particular do not think that name-calling is an appropriate response," Buchanan said.
I wonder what woman think about the republican bullshitters various comments regarding rape. What are the republicans trying to hide. Hmmmm.

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...

Old October 28th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistersolo View Post
I've seen the ad.

I think it's very telling that some people want to make more of a tongue in cheek ad by an actress, than statements made by actual sitting Senators who state as fact that women have the ability to will away pregnancy when raped, or that pregnancy as a result of rape is god's will.

It seems to prove that people align themselves with "party" irregardless , and interpret what they hear and say the way they "want to "hear it" to keep it line with the "party's thought".

It seems the republicans are right though.. the cold war hasn't ended. But now it's not the US vs the Soviet Bloc. It's a cold war within the population of the United States .
Old October 28th, 2012, 06:41 PM
First Mate

Sorry, Kuki, I did not make myself clear. I am not offended by the subject matter of the ad; if someone had written out the script and posted it here as humor, I would have been really amused. What surprised me was that this was put out as an official Obama ad, presumably aimed at those too young to make a decision based on past performance (oops, that sounds a little suggestive, too). I just think that whoever came up with the idea didn't consider the much larger number of more adult women who might consider it patronizing to think that they would decide to vote for ANY politician because he was a "special person" who would "care about" them individually.
Old October 29th, 2012, 06:37 AM
Familiar Face

Default Kuki, you are not a woman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I've seen the ad.

I think it's very telling that some people want to make more of a tongue in cheek ad by an actress, than statements made by actual sitting Senators who state as fact that women have the ability to will away pregnancy when raped, or that pregnancy as a result of rape is god's will.

It seems to prove that people align themselves with "party" irregardless , and interpret what they hear and say the way they "want to "hear it" to keep it line with the "party's thought".

It seems the republicans are right though.. the cold war hasn't ended. But now it's not the US vs the Soviet Bloc. It's a cold war within the population of the United States .

As I read your various comments concerning the new Obama ad on this thread I thought to myself: "What the Hell are you talking about, Kuki. You're not a woman. How do you know what a woman thinks or feels. Maybe you feel that you can know how a woman feels but if you aren't one don't try to give "expert" advice to women.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatrix View Post
As I read your various comments concerning the new Obama ad on this thread I thought to myself: "What the Hell are you talking about, Kuki. You're not a woman. How do you know what a woman thinks or feels. Maybe you feel that you can know how a woman feels but if you aren't one don't try to give "expert" advice to women.
I'm like all old white men; we know what's best for women

I don't claim to be an expert. I express my opinion, which everyone is entitled to.

What's your opinion? All you've done with this post is attack me for having one. That doesn't make for a great discussion.
Old October 29th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Captain

Notice: This thread is now officially designated "Women Only", as they are uniquely qualified to post their opinion on this subject.

Booked: Carnival Sunshine March 04, 2017 8-day Southern Caribbean

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old October 29th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

If that ad works, then good for them. But I tend to agree that it embodies everything that is wrong with the Obama campaign, that so much of it has been patronizing and about little things.

It just points out that Obama is running on the narrowest planks of the democratic platform - and there is nothing in his campaign about his record.

It's like if a republican ran on a platform that only talked about "right to life", a strong US Military, going to church and owning guns. That would be a narrow campaign that only really appealed to a few, very targeted voters. Oh, and spend the rest of your time making fun of your opponent and calling him a liar.
Old October 29th, 2012, 11:49 PM
Admiral

Welcome back, Paul. Were you on a time out?

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...

Old October 31st, 2012, 06:43 PM
Familiar Face

Default Belittling Romney is politically correct bullying by Obama

Here is my opinion of Mr. Obama calling Mr. Romney a "bullshitter."One of the worst tools that dysfunctional individuals use is belittling others. The word "belittle" implies that someone is unimportant. It is used in order to disparage a person. To cast them in a negative light, with the intent of making them seem less impressive. When someone belittles another person it usually indicates a lack of confidence. For whatever reason, the belittler is intimidated by the person they are belittling. Keep in mind that belittling isn't a full fledged cut-down. It is merely taking a person down a few pegs, often to the belittler's assumed level. This is done in order to make the aggressor, in this case Mr. Obama, feel bigger, better while making the other person feel smaller and worse - dream on. Belittlers start early in life with the support or negligence of at least one parent. Belittlers at one point, discovered that they get something out of the act of downplaying another person's positive attributes or accomplishments. They either got the satisfaction that they could get revenge for the "unfair" attention that someone (Mr. Romney's lead in polls) else was getting, or they got satisfaction from making someone else suffer when other forms of bullying were not allowed.
Old October 31st, 2012, 07:16 PM
Admiral

Liar, bullshitter, whatever. Myth would be worse that Bush.

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...

Old November 1st, 2012, 07:33 AM
Admiral

Why has not the title of this thread been deleted?

By the terms of Cruisemates TOS, the specific wording of this thread is prohibited.

The thread regarding the Russian musical group, P***Y Riot has been deleted for cause.

Comment on why this thread's title is allowed, and the other's title is not, is welcomed from the moderators of this site.

Old November 1st, 2012, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Dean View Post
By the terms of Cruisemates TOS, the specific wording of this thread is prohibited.
Cruisemates Terms of Service:

Message Boards:

Conduct:

Post or transmit any content that is abusive, vulgar, obscene, hateful, fraudulent, threatening, harassing, defamatory or which discloses private or personal matters concerning any person, company or legal entity. This includes CruiseMates and its Staff.

Old November 1st, 2012, 01:57 PM
Admiral

Bullshiting is part of our daily language.

I worked as an interpreter for the US State Dep. at the Immigration service.
I saw many lawyers and the great bullshitters allways won their cases.

People would come in for deportation hearings, there one lawyer who could BS all day if he had to. None of his clients were ever deported.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015