Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Old December 14th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Default What a freaking moron

Done:

Carnival Horizon Transatlantic

Carnival Splendor Panama Canal

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 14th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Admiral

This makes my blood boil. Idiot doesn't even begin to cover this. Even given the source I'm surprised he said it outloud.

Hawaii By land x 2
Paris and German Christmas Markets
Old December 14th, 2012, 08:03 PM
Admiral

I realize I just insulted morons, but I don't think my vocabulary knows the proper term for what he is.

Done:

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Admiral

Oh, I know it, I'll just get banned if I type it.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Admiral

Nah. It will be okay. The filter should catch it. Maybe.

Done:

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 14th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Admiral

You can always count on religious right zealots to strike exactly the wrong tone at times like this.

We must ignore him and others like him.
Old December 15th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Name calling towards Christians is something you can read about in the Bible. Mike, is a wonderful man, who would do anything for someone in need.

AS far as the article you speak of. Kids today, sometimes have little to look forward to. They don't have the moral code that many of us follow. They feel that no one truly loves them. In the good old days, we as teachers could remind them that God above all others loves them. WE could have told them that God does not want you to kill, or to kill your self. We could have told them the Golden rule, about treating others as you would have them treat you.

Before God was outlawed in schools, you didin't have school shootings. You had fights, but nothing like was seen yesterday.

Since shootings don't happen in Christian schools, or Jewish, or Muslim schools, don't you think it might be a good idea to put God back in the schools. What could it hurt?

Going back to the name calling on here. Why? What does it do for you? There are many Christians and Jews who read these posts. They don't post, because they are afraid of being attacked. How do I know? Because they e-mail me and say "Did you see what Z has said about us now?"

I get it, you don't need God, and you sure don't want to hear his words, but what in your education, parenting, did you learn that it was okay, to call names of those who believe differently than you?

Strange thing about God and the power of love for you. You can't run from him. You can try, but you simply can't do it. I have such love of all of you in my heart, there is no room to call you names. What is your heart full of?

God Bless you all, and to Uncle Mike Huckabee.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old December 15th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Admiral

Luanne, for a lot of people God doesn't exist, he's a made up fictional character that wars are fought over and more people killed. More people are killed in the name of religion than anything else. Probably a good thing he's not in the class room.

It is not a teachers place or a school board's place to teach about religion unless you're covering off all religions. Religion has no place in a school room. Give children a morale compass as God much like Santa Clause does nothing to protect them.

And, God was not removed from schools, schools were prohibited from telling you when to pray...
"The Supreme Court did not then, nor has it since, held that students cannot pray in school. Instead, the Supreme Court has ruled that the government cannot have anything to do with prayer in schools. The government cannot tell students when to pray. The government cannot tell students what to pray. The government cannot tell students that they should pray. The government cannot tell students that prayer is better than no prayer. Even most conservative Christians have trouble arguing that this is a bad state of affairs, which may be why the real subject of this court ruling is so rarely addressed."

Hawaii By land x 2

Last edited by Trackypup; December 15th, 2012 at 02:01 PM.
Old December 15th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Admiral

I understand what you are saying, and I repect that right.

I can't understand how anyone could live in this world without the belief of God. To wake up in the morning, and know that all we have is what is around us.

I just hope that people have open minds, and to search for what is out there.

As far as the schools go. It is taboo to say God's name in school. A sneeze in some schools, and a God Bless You afterwards, can get you in serious trouble.

Many teachers still have their Bibles, but they must be kept in a drawer, out of sight.

All I am saying, is what we have now is not working, as it did when God was allowed. Why not try the old way once again, and see if things are safer.

As far as wars in the name of religion. There was a war yesterday, without God.

We should try everything we can think of inorder to protect our babies.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 15th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Admiral

Back in the 60s when god was in the class room there wasn't such easy access to automatic weapons. Children weren't bombarded with violent video games and movies. To pick God and lay the blame by him being absent from schools is ridiculous. Doesn't a Christian carry God where ever they are? One doesn't check their religious beliefs at the door when going to school.

Hawaii By land x 2
Old December 15th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Admiral

No No you misunderstand my message. The cause any many of these things are mental illiness, evil, etc.

You are right about the games. I do not believe they help the situation.

Yes, Christians do carry God with us always. We pray quietly, and we have hope when there seems to be no hope.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old December 15th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Christians are not immune to violence either as givers or victims and it is absurd to claim otherwise. The zealots of today would bring back the Crusades if they could.

No, it is unconscionable to politicize tragedy which is exactly what is being done.

Done:

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old December 15th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I personally admire those who are devout to their religion, and their belief in their god.

However, there are a couple of things along with that

Every religion also has its radicals. There are not just radical Islamists, but also radical Christians, Jews, etc.

I also believe it's foolish to assume religion has an answer for every event or occurance. I think even the most devout admit God isn't the answer to everthing that happens; God also allows for free human will, where humans make their own mistakes.

Belief in, and prayer to god might give people the means to deal with those human errors. But, that doesn't mean religion always has the answer for every problem.

Countries based soley on religious beliefs have rarely endured. We've been given the power of thought in order to decide what is best for our own good and the common good, that I'm sure God also hopes will lead us to how to deal with our tribulations and how to deal with evil.

But to blame the lack of God in schools, in this particular situation, I think is simply a bizarre point of view, and makes that particular brand of religion dangerous. It only means Mr. Huckabee has decided his God is the only right God... and by extension all other religions are wrong.

And that is the very best argument for separation of religion and government.
Old December 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post

Since shootings don't happen in Christian schools . . .
Sure they don't.

Apr 2, 2012 – Police this evening identified a man suspected of opening fire today at Oikos University, a Christian school . . .
(Yes, he was a former student.)

ELIZABETH CITY, N.C. --The man charged with killing a fellow student at Mid-Atlantic Christian University . . .

VIRGINIA BEACH — A teenager went on a shooting rampage Friday at Atlantic Shores Christian School, killing one teacher and critically injuring . . .

Mar 9, 2012 – Athens-Clarke police arrested the Athens Christian School students Thursday night, then booked them into the Clarke County Jail early Friday morning on a single count of aggravated assault — for allegedly shooting an 11-year-old girl . . .
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:58 AM
Admiral

Kuki and Aiden--

Two superb posts.

I saw both a priest and a rabbi on TV today, and each of them said, essentially, that they don't have the "answers" that people are looking to them for. Honest men. Huckabee, Robertson and some others always have the answers, or think they do. For me, that's a big red flag. Kuki's point exactly.

Luanne tries to draw a correlation between outlawing prayer in schools and the overall increase in violence. That just won't pass the smell test. There's a big difference between coincidence and correlation. It reminds me of Mark Twain's words. . .

"I joined the Confederacy. . .served for two months. . .deserted. . .and the Confederacy fell."

Unsupported claims of cause and effect have been around forever. Some people buy them, others don't. But this is for sure: I want a front row seat with unlimited popcorn and Diet Coke on the day they bring back prayer in school and the teacher says, "Children, today's prayer comes from the Muslim faith. . ." Man, you'll be able to see the torchlight parade of parents headed for the school from miles away.

And Aiden beat me to the punch in pointing out how completely wrong Luanne is in claiming that shootings don't happen in religious schools. Of course they do. There are wackadoodles of every stripe. . .religious, heathen and all points in between.

Finally, Luanne asks why we don't try prayer in school again. Well, because it was found to be in violation of the First Amendment. If I were to say "Why don't we ban guns and see how that works?" I'd have the Second Amendment thrown in my face within 30 seconds. You can't cherrypick the Constitution. You take it all or you amend it or you leave. I reckon the United States of Secession will have prayer in schools several times a day. More power to them.

Finally, I've never understood why some people feel it takes a religious context to advocate for all the pole star aspects of decency, morality, and caring for each other that are common to all religions. If you believe in things like the Golden Rule, honoring your parents, not killing, not stealing, and all the rest, it is certainly possible--easy, even--to work these things into teaching without doing a PSA for God. The God I know doesn't need publicity; he'd much rather just have us do right by each other.

Last edited by AR; December 16th, 2012 at 02:21 AM.
Old December 16th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
All I am saying, is what we have now is not working, as it did when God was allowed. Why not try the old way once again, and see if things are safer.
They only reason you would think things were better when "God was allowed" is to look at everything in the narrow framework of your Christian belief.

Since you are stuck in this belief that will not allow you to see beyond the boarders of it's tenets ANY discussion we have trying to point out to you that your reference frame is flawed will be fruitless.

I am totally for you to believe the way you want. I am totally against you wanting to enforce your belief structure on others.

A common practice of the religious fundamentalists is to blame events on the lack of peoples faith, or devotion to God. When those type of people begin to spout their garbage think about these things.

If there is a God who is the creator of all, and is all powerful, all seeing, and everywhere at once, and the essence of love (as the Bible states he is). Then he must be a cohesive God. Statements and doctrines that would point the fingers at anyone else but the perpetrator of the crime, in other words, hateful and divisive statements, would not seem to be the attitude of a being like that.

If there is a God or a Spirit or a great connectedness or what ever, wouldn't that being or spiritual force or ?? be something that brings us together?

As I read the story of Jesus it seems like he could care less about doctrine and everything about the human condition.

Leave these divisive and hateful doctrines based on generations of interpretations of writings done thousands of years ago. Yes the contain wisdom, as many ancient texts do, but wisdom is not to be used to elevate us above the rest where we believe we are the only group that has the truth. Wisdom is to be used to help us tolerate, understand, and support each other during our life journey.

Huckabee is a fool! Can you imagine what the parents of one of those poor children killed in the tragedy must feel when they hear crap like that. IMHO ANYONE making statements like that a at time like this has NO spiritual connection to God or anything. He is just, well, a fool.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Somebody exercises their first amendment rights and gets crushed for it...

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehawk View Post
YUP! That IS what free speech is about!

An idiot can say something stupid -

and we can call him what he is, an idiot.

If you are defending him, seriously, hard to respect a view THAT out there.

You should be ashamed. I frankly am shocked! I believed better about you.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdude View Post
YUP! That IS what free speech is about!

An idiot can say something stupid -

and we can call him what he is, an idiot.

If you are defending him, seriously, hard to respect a view THAT out there.

You should be ashamed. I frankly am shocked! I believed better about you.
Wait, wait, wait!!!! You have me wrong. I am not defending him, I am defending his right to speak. I do not even watch this man nor stand in his corner in his convictions.

Now, will you take back that you think I shoudl be ashamed???

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Admiral

I just reread Huckabee's words.

Then I closed my eyes and imagined the parents of a dead child in Connecticut who have always been loving and spiritual, perhaps Christian, but who believe that while religion has its place, that place is not in school. They have loved their child unconditionally for ten years, and lived the real family values at home. . .tolerance, decency, hard work, lifelong learning, togetherness.

And now, as they plan their child's funeral, Mike Huckabee tells them that in essence, they are responsible for their child's death because they don't believe in school prayer.

Mike's a nice guy?

No, Mike's an insensitive lout.
Old December 16th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Admiral

I agree if religion is not to be in public schools, then it should be all religion. Even though there are multitudes of instances of Islam in public schools brought on by the conservative viewpoints, I brought up some references from liberal, hardline articles that say Islam should be allowed in public schools or is already in public schools. Do you all agree Islam should be banned as well?

Islam in America's public schools: Education or indoctrination? - SFGate

Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment - USATODAY.com

André Carson, Indiana Congressman, Says U.S. Public Schools Should Be Modeled After Islamic Schools, (VIDEO) (UPDATE)

Old December 16th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Yes, sir. That's absolutely right, and that's absolutely fair.

It is becoming common practice here to yell "First Amendment" every time somebody gets criticized for what they say.

Let us be clear: The First Amendment guarantees us freedom of speech; it does NOT guarantee us immunity from the consequences of what we say.

So can we please put an end to this? If you say something stupid you will probably be called stupid. There is no Constitutional protection against that.

And if you say something smart somebody's likely to call you stupid anyway. The Constitution can't help you there either.

So what do you say we just stick a sock in that whole thing, huh?
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Captain

Quote:
Wait, wait, wait!!!! You have me wrong. I am not defending him, I am defending his right to speak. I do not even watch this man nor stand in his corner in his convictions.

Now, will you take back that you think I shoudl be ashamed???
I call BS on the above! This is what you stated:

"Somebody exercises their first amendment rights and gets crushed for it... "

WHERE do you get the idea that ANYONE was saying Huckfool didn't have the right to say whatever nonsense he wanted.

What WAS going on was the author of the article, myself, and several others were ALSO exercising OUR first amendment rights.

For what ever reason you believed that ol poor Huckdumb was getting "crushed" for "speaking out."

It was not that he got "crushed" for exercising his first amendment rights. He got crushed for being an insensitive, religiously bigoted, fool!

So, in essence you ended up defending Hucknuts, and you should be ashamed.
Old December 16th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Admiral

Quote:
I agree if religion is not to be in public schools, then it should be all religion. Even though there are multitudes of instances of Islam in public schools brought on by the conservative viewpoints, I brought up some references from liberal, hardline articles that say Islam should be allowed in public schools or is already in public schools. Do you all agree Islam should be banned as well?

Islam in America's public schools: Education or indoctrination? - SFGate

Some say schools giving Muslims special treatment - USATODAY.com

André Carson, Indiana Congressman, Says U.S. Public Schools Should Be Modeled After Islamic Schools, (VIDEO) (UPDATE)
Your post is confusing, but here's what I believe:

I believe that there is a considerable overlap between the Christian fundamentalist right (who desperately want to reinstate prayer in school), and the growing number of Islamophobics in this country.

So what I implied earlier and what I am saying now is this: the fundamentalist Christians who want prayer back in schools had better be careful what they wish for! Because as surely as day follows night, if and when prayer returns to the classroom, all religions will want their bite at the apple. And that will become a three-ring circus of the first order. Well, more than three rings, now that I think about it!

Unintended consequences, folks. Fascinating, aren't they?

Last edited by AR; December 16th, 2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old December 17th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I call BS on the above! This is what you stated:

"Somebody exercises their first amendment rights and gets crushed for it... "

WHERE do you get the idea that ANYONE was saying Huckfool didn't have the right to say whatever nonsense he wanted.

What WAS going on was the author of the article, myself, and several others were ALSO exercising OUR first amendment rights.

For what ever reason you believed that ol poor Huckdumb was getting "crushed" for "speaking out."

It was not that he got "crushed" for exercising his first amendment rights. He got crushed for being an insensitive, religiously bigoted, fool!

So, in essence you ended up defending Hucknuts, and you should be ashamed.
That is the severe drawback of this type of platform. The receiver cannot perceive the emotion behind the statement properly. You state I should still be ashamed for your perception of me backing Huckabee's standings when I only back his right to speakout out... Too bad....

I thought you were better than that.

Old December 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Luanne (and Huck)> Im glad I dont believe in "your" God.
He seems to be one vindictive Son of a B***h.

Booked: Veendam - Montreal to Boston July 28, 2018
and Norwegian Bliss March 02, 2019

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!
Old December 17th, 2012, 11:01 AM
Captain

Quote:
That is the severe drawback of this type of platform. The receiver cannot perceive the emotion behind the statement properly. You state I should still be ashamed for your perception of me backing Huckabee's standings when I only back his right to speakout out... Too bad....

I thought you were better than that.
When you defend one persons right to speak out by saying he was being

CRUSHED

just because others were expressing THEIR opinions would seem to say that you agree with the person you believe is being CRUSHED.

It escapes me how you are now trying to say you were giving an unbiased opinion that Huck should have the right to speak out.

Why give HIM the right and dismiss others speaking out against what he said as Huck being CRUSHED?

A VERY strange attitude indeed. Hard to wiggle out of what you typed. Both sides have the right to speak out. I and others CERTAINLY have the right to call Huck an idiot is we want to.

THAT RIGHT ON BOTH SIDES COMES FROM THE 1ST AMENDMENT.

To asertain that Huck was being CRUSHED just for speaking out is either a statement of someone who supports his views or a statement from someone who is SO biased toward the Conservitive view that they only believe the 1st amendment applys toward people who express their views.

You have never explained what you meant by that statement. To me it seems so wrong headed that, yes I was and am in shock that you posted it. I thought you actually tried to put thought behind your viewpoints.

However, the view that I and others were CRUSHING Huck by expressing our views is, well strange.
Old December 17th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Admiral

Some of you may disagree with Huckabee, but you reflect poorly on yourselves by calling him names.
Old December 17th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
When you defend one persons right to speak out by saying he was being

CRUSHED

just because others were expressing THEIR opinions would seem to say that you agree with the person you believe is being CRUSHED.

It escapes me how you are now trying to say you were giving an unbiased opinion that Huck should have the right to speak out.

Why give HIM the right and dismiss others speaking out against what he said as Huck being CRUSHED?

A VERY strange attitude indeed. Hard to wiggle out of what you typed. Both sides have the right to speak out. I and others CERTAINLY have the right to call Huck an idiot is we want to.

THAT RIGHT ON BOTH SIDES COMES FROM THE 1ST AMENDMENT.

To asertain that Huck was being CRUSHED just for speaking out is either a statement of someone who supports his views or a statement from someone who is SO biased toward the Conservitive view that they only believe the 1st amendment applys toward people who express their views.

You have never explained what you meant by that statement. To me it seems so wrong headed that, yes I was and am in shock that you posted it. I thought you actually tried to put thought behind your viewpoints.

However, the view that I and others were CRUSHING Huck by expressing our views is, well strange.
I was only covering HIS right to speak. You are correct in stating that ALL sides shall have their say and I agree wholeheartedly with that. Recall that there is no instance in this thread where I have said that the other side is incorrect or should shut up.

Perhaps the word "crushed" was not a good word but I thought that someone should stand up and say both sides should be allowed to speak regardless of whether it is foolishness, incorrectness, or out and out jabber.

Sometimes, I am still asleep in these postings as I post from work. My DW is against me being on this site period. (I gotta sneak behind)

Old December 18th, 2012, 10:22 AM
Admiral

mehawk> You SLEEP at work?

I gotta get me a job like yours. I would be really good at it.

Booked: Veendam - Montreal to Boston July 28, 2018
and Norwegian Bliss March 02, 2019

Washee Washee! Happy Happy!