Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default Paul Krugman on Obama

To the person who was upset because I (allegedly) called his President a "liar." - Here are the words of NY Times economist Paul Krugman speaking today about the Fiscal cliff deal - probably the biggest Obama supporter in the world:

"OK, now for the really bad news. Anyone looking at these negotiations, especially given Obamaís previous behavior, canít help but reach one main conclusion: whenever the president says that thereís an issue on which he absolutely, positively wonít give ground, you can count on him, you know, giving way ó and soon, too. The idea that you should only make promises and threats you intend to make good on doesn't seem to be one that this particular president can grasp."

Actually - what I find sad about this, is that it shows no one, not even Obama is allowed to compromise to get things done anymore without taking heat from ideologues.

I really don't understand why Krugman is given so much credibility. He is the liberal version of the tea party; fully to one side and intractable.

Conceder In Chief? - NYTimes.com
Sponsored Links
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:22 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Here is some more stuff Krugman said in the article:

Update: I should mention that on one issue, the estate tax, the problem is apparently with the Senate; there are, unfortunately, some heartland Dem Senators who are extremely solicitous of the handful of super-wealthy families in their states, so that Obamaís people donít think they can get a majority for higher taxes here. Itís bizarre: states like New Jersey have far more large estates, not just total but per capita, than states like Montana, but itís the Senators from the latter that are eager to preserve the inherited privileges of the few.

I am pretty sure the idea is to protect family farms from being taken by the government just because the parents die.

But to Krugman that's "preserving the inherited privileges of the few."

This is one of Obama's leading economic advisors and role models.
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:37 AM
Captain

First day of the new year and we are already attacking the President.

Good show Mr. Motter...
Old January 1st, 2013, 11:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Begging your pardon...

But a MAJOR bill was passed in the Senate last night which was the subject of debate for almost a year.

Do you read the news? And if you read what I wrote I was DEFENDING the President.

Good show, Mr Mars.

Here is more criticism from the left which I feel is unfounded.... (quote LA Times)

Even after most Democratic senators made their peace with the deal, influential liberal groups such as MoveOn.org denounced it for providing too little and conceding too much.

White House aides disputed that argument. They pointed to Democratic priorities included in the deal — tax credits aimed at students, parents and the working poor were extended for five years, for example, and long-term unemployment benefits were extended for a year.
Old January 1st, 2013, 12:08 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You know, I came in here feeling pretty congratulatory and accepting about Obama this morning - but Mr. Marsdude with his sarcastic, completely off-topic, response to me just ruined my day...

So - this one is just for you... Dude.

Here is the speech Obama gave yesterday about the ongoing negotiations about the fiscal cliff.

And here is what oft-Krugman contesting commentator Charles Krauthammer had to say about it...

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER: I found it astonishing. Here he is -- coming out to speak to the nation at a crucial moment -- in very delicate negotiations and he comes out there with incredible arrogance. He ridicules the Congress, he spikes the football on the Republicans. He rubs in the fact that they were resisting a raise in rates and he made them do it. And of course, as always, he places himself hovering benignly at an Olympian level above the fray, where the children are playing in the sand box and he's asking that everybody be reasonable as if he just arrived in Washington on a tourist visa.

And then he goes into detail. What he basically says, 'I'm giving the Republicans zero on spending. And I mean zero, not even discretionary spending. This is after he killed a proposal from the Minority Leader in the Senate for the tiniest of changes in entitlements, change in the cost of living index, which is essentially a technical change. So that's rejected out of hand. So he's saying tax hikes all in rates, no cuts in spending. And worse than that, after all of this is done, after I shoved all this down your throats, when we negotiate later for spending cuts -- which Republicans imagine they're going to get -- no, it's not going to happen that way.

If there are going to be any spending cuts in the future, there's going to have to be an increase -- a further increase in taxes on the rich, of course, it's always the millionaires that will balance out those spending cuts. So, he laid out a radically oppositionist position, gleefully....
(Special Report, December 31, 2012)

Krauthammer: Obama Showed "Incredible Arrogance" Ridiculing Congress At Press Conference | RealClearPolitics
Old January 1st, 2013, 02:05 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
You know, I came in here feeling pretty congratulatory and accepting about Obama this morning - but Mr. Marsdude with his sarcastic, completely off-topic, response to me just ruined my day...

What power I must have over you.

Come on, you say you were trying to compliment Obama, you have a round-a-bout way of doing so, but OK - I believe you.

I am just tired of reading nonsense, no matter who it comes from.
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I saw the Obama speech yesterday, and as I saw it, thought it really served no purpose at all.

However, I must admit the reaction of Republican heated indignation was also "over the top". They were mad because he hurt their feelings. ah shucks.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old January 1st, 2013, 03:56 PM
Admiral

This does nothing to ease the Republican pain that their credibility is non-extent.

Any compromise on estate exemptions and taxes is superior to what would happen by default once the Republicans made it clear they would run the country over the cliff.

Once again, President Obama puts the country ahead of the bought and paid for Republican vote.
Old January 2nd, 2013, 12:12 AM
Captain

We are talking about POLITICIANS here, right?

(Just checking.....)

A scorpion was walking along the bank of a river, wondering how to get to the other side. Suddenly, he saw a fox. He asked the fox to take him on his back across the river. The fox said, "No. If I do that, you'll sting me, and I'll drown." The scorpion assured him, "If I do that, we'll both drown." The fox thought about it and finally agreed. So the scorpion climbed up on his back, and the fox began to swim. But halfway across the river, the scorpion stung him. As poison filled his veins, the fox turned to the scorpion and said, "Why did you do that? Now you'll drown, too." "I couldn't help it," said the scorpion. "It's my nature."

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old January 2nd, 2013, 11:48 AM
Captain

If ANYONE does an internet search to look up what Obama has accomplished they will find that our President has done a lot for those of us who do not have large earnings.

I like most of what he has done. I don't agree with everything of course.