Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Captain

Default Guns are not toys!

IMHO, one of the huge difficulties we have with debating gun control is our attitude about guns.

I have owned guns, hunted, etc, and I believe most gun owners are like me. They view a gun as a tool.

Some people are against gun control because they believe it to be unconstitutional. This is really hard to support, the constitution is just not that detailed in what it says about gun.

In addition, we can not view the constitution like people view the Bible. The constitution can be changed, and of course, has been.

Some people are against gun control because they believe we need guns to protect ourselves from the government.

That actually hasn't worked out very well in past history here in the US. I can understand this way of thinking. There is nothing wrong with protecting yourself, however this is really a simplistic view of the issue.

I believe one of our main problems is that guns are SO prevalent in our society we have lost perspective. Guns have become toys. Here is my evidence.

These photos were scanned from a magazine called "Zombie Nation." These are real ads selling real products:

100 rounds in 7 seconds

Of course you need your zombie themed ammo - 100 rounds in 7 seconds can use it up fast!

And the crowning piece! An automatic weapon with a chainsaw attached!

The Zombie Slayer as this weapon is called cost $1,249 for the basic model.
The maker has received more than 400 requests for orders. Many dealers just said "I'll take 25 of them!"

The article states that NO chainsaw manufacture wanted anything to do with this project so he had to "work around" this problem to obtain them.

I think this type of thing is an indicator of where our society is with the issue of guns. If people are buying guns to kill zombies, even in fun, guns are out of control.

Last edited by Marsdude; January 14th, 2013 at 10:57 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Old January 14th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Marsdude,

I can only agree with you. These are marketing tools to sell more guns, ammunition and "features". The bad (sad) part is that this "marketing" is directed at the "whack jobs" and they eat it up.

I myself roll my eyes when some of the people at the shooting range start talking about the coming civil war that will be brought on by Obama and the liberals and they are going to be armed to the teeth when it happens.

I feel that "The Zombie Apocalypse" bunch fall into the "mental health" category and shouldn't be allowed to have a weapon.

The good thing is that they are the vast minority but it only takes one of them to give the rest a bad name.

BTW: The Slidefire is a piece of crap and most people, other than hard core shooters, don't have the dexterity to make it work. You have to pull trigger, push the stock in with your shoulder, hold trigger, push harder, hold trigger, push harder to make it work. I hope the ATF takes back it's approval on this modification. It will cause more accidental injuries than someone with a real automatic weapon.

I am completely in favor of outlawing any type of "work-around" that will make a semi-automatic weapon function "like" an automatic. They should also not allow advertising to idiots. (Defining idiot is the hard part)

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me

Last edited by Mike M; January 14th, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old January 14th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Marsdude,

I can only agree with you. These are marketing tools to sell more guns, ammunition and "features". The bad (sad) part is that this "marketing" is directed at the "whack jobs" and they eat it up.

I myself roll my eyes when some of the people at the shooting range start talking about the coming civil war that will be brought on by Obama and the liberals and they are going to be armed to the teeth when it happens.

I feel that "The Zombie Apocalypse" bunch fall into the "mental health" category and shouldn't be allowed to have a weapon.

The good thing is that they are the vast minority but it only takes one of them to give the rest a bad name.

BTW: The Slidefire is a piece of crap and most people, other than hard core shooters, don't have the dexterity to make it work. You have to pull trigger, push the stock in with your shoulder, hold trigger, push harder, hold trigger, push harder to make it work. I hope the ATF takes back it's approval on this modification. It will cause more accidental injuries than someone with a real automatic weapon.

I am completely in favor of outlawing any type of "work-around" that will make a semi-automatic weapon function "like" an automatic. They should also not allow advertising to idiots. (Defining idiot is the hard part)

Take care,
Mike
Well said.
Old January 14th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Captain

Really? Really? a Zombie gun Anyone wanting one of these needs a mental health check!

Caribbean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Carnival Splendor Feb 2015
Carnival Sunshine Feb 2016
Old January 14th, 2013, 10:02 PM
Captain

And if, perchance, there happen to be no zombies around when you take delivery of your new toy?....

So you thought YOU were having a bad day???
Old January 15th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship2shore View Post
And if, perchance, there happen to be no zombies around when you take delivery of your new toy?....
That was my thought exactly.

I could understand paint ball equipment being branded this way. I could see a "zombie" hunt being fun when no one would get hurt.

The only thing they could do with the stuff from the adds is target practice, display them, or ...
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Admiral

The paintball phenomenon is interesting. For most it's certainly a harmless exercise, about as violent as going bowling.

But for people who aren't hooked up right. . .

I was on a Federal grand jury for a full year several years ago, and one of our cases was a group here in Virginia who were using paintball as a surrogate for war games. Their plan was to become proficient in warcraft via paintball prior to going to Pakistan to join Lashkar e Taieba and/or other terrorist groups. When they weren't playing paintball they were practicing at real target ranges. The Feds tracked them to two such ranges. . .one owned by the NRA, and the other at the Marine base at Quantico. Seems that one of the "boys" was a former Marine and had privileges there.
Old January 15th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Captain

Paintball, lazer tag, BB guns, etc. We really live in a society that teaches gun violence from childhood.

I once heard the attitude towards violence in this country called "the John Wayne" attitude. Come out shooting, ask questions later.
Old January 15th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I agree with all of you that some of what is being produced in the Gun industry could be limited, and outlawed.

Did any of you play cops and robbers, or Cowboys and indians when you were kids? I heard about a school in Washington that has stopped these games on the playground. I also heard about the 6 year old that was sent home for making the gun sign with his tiny hand, and saying bang.

Are people going overboard, just a little?

I have a cute story about lazer Tag. Our local theater has Lazer/paintball.

Every Tuesday morning, ladies from the senior center are put on a bus and taken there. For an hour they play tag. It gets them to moving, and socializing.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link