Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default Guns and Jon Stewart

I do enjoy The Daily Show most days, but the first ten minutes of last night's edition was probably one of the finest examples of political satire I've ever seen. So sharply written, and so sharply produced.

I know that most on the right never watch this show, but I urge you all to make an exception and watch these ten minutes. Please do it. It is brilliantly funny, and we need a little humor.

January 16, 2013 - Jessica Chastain - The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central

And for some serious commentary on the infamous NRA commercial, you might want to look at what Republican Joe Scarborough had to say about it:

Scarborough: NRA is its own worst enemy ? MSNBC

I know that defenders are the NRA will poo-poo it, but I hope that the many responsible gun owners who are not living in fear of the black helicopters invading their backyards will disavow what the NRA is doing. Publicly if possible.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,508
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

I watched it, and Jon Stewart has still not learned to be funny. I sure wish he would ask that bird to tell him who knew about the guns sold to Mexico from Justice.

If ATF is so bad then why are things not being done to fix it. Why when one person couldn't be confirmed, wasn't there someone else put up? NRA does not write the laws, and if that is true then that also needs to be fixed.

To me I can't think of a damn joke, not one, about the killing of babies and their teachers armed with a stapler.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I watched it, and Jon Stewart has still not learned to be funny. I sure wish he would ask that bird to tell him who knew about the guns sold to Mexico from Justice.
What on God's green earth does the Mexico stupidity have to do with anything talked about on the show, aside from the fact that it was done by a demoralized ATF that has been leaderless for six years, hated by Congress for at least that long (at the behest of the NRA) and obviously has not been attracting the best and the brightest for a lot of years. I mean, Luanne, doesn't it occur to you that a weak ATF that has systematically been stripped of leadership and enforcement power would be prone to make the kind of mistake you're pointing to? What bright person would want to go to work for the ATF in its current condition? I know it's routine down there to assume that everybody who works for the government is stupid and feckless, but that isn't true. Like any other employer, agencies that are known to be "going concerns" attract generally good people; outfits like the ATF don't, because the morale there stinks, thanks to Congress and the precise points made by Jon Stewart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
If ATF is so bad then why are things not being done to fix it.
Oy, vey! Because Congress doesn't want it fixed. They want it as broken and ineffective as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Why when one person couldn't be confirmed, wasn't there someone else put up?
Because "someone else" couldn't be confirmed either. It's a game. Until the current dust up, nobody could be confirmed. Now maybe somebody will be because a bright light has been shined into this particular rat-infested corner. Haven't you heard? All that has to happen is for one Senator to (anonymously) object to any appointment and that appointment is effectively as dead as a carp. They don't dare do it with cabinet appointments because they're too high profile and the president would go ballistic if they wouldn't even give his cabinet appointments a hearing. But other, lower level appointments are sandbagged routinely, most notoriously federal judges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
NRA does not write the laws
No, members of Congress write them, based on draft language submitted by the NRA and other special interest groups. What the hell do you think is going on down there on K Street? Special interests write a huge percentage of laws. Why do you suppose so many Congressional staffers work there for a couple years, then move on to trade associations and lobbying outfits at much higher salaries? Because they have nice clothes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
and if that is true then that also needs to be fixed.
Yes, it does. Why don't you get out of denial and help us try to do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
To me I can't think of a damn joke, not one, about the killing of babies and their teachers armed with a stapler.
I have no idea what this means.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by AR; January 18th, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Texas
Posts: 11,508
Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default

How can I change things AR? Washington is a mess. It's a game to most of those people. All I seem to be able to do is try to protect the family I have left, and stay out of the way.

These are your people not mine. I never learned to play the game, and I'll bet most of the country feels the same way.

You have decided that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble, and I guess I understand it.

I just ask you to be careful. The NRA is somewhat protecting our rights to protect ourselves. We don't live in your world. WE do have bad guys around us, and they want what we have worked long and hard for.

By the way, I am sick of people on here saying I am in denial. I live it everyday. In many ways I know real life much more than you or Mars, or Kuki. If you want to talk to your kids, you call them on the phone. I must get on my knees to talk to one of mine.

I would love for our country to be like it was. I would love for our schools to be safe again. I would love our leaders to lead.
__________________
Ecstasy 2005
Conquest 2005
Elation 2005
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Marsdude's Avatar
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 763
Default

WOW! That was funny!

Also revealing. Interesting that it is NOT against the law to sell a firearm to someone that is drunk or under the influence of drugs.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
AR AR is offline
Senior Member
Admiral
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 2,472
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
How can I change things AR? Washington is a mess. It's a game to most of those people. All I seem to be able to do is try to protect the family I have left, and stay out of the way.
Which is exactly why all the deceit, egotism, lack of campaign finance reform, gerrymandering, non-filibuster filibusters, and all the rest continue to flourish. Because people like you stay out of the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
These are your people not mine.
So now I'm guilty by reason of geography, is that it? I live here so all these people are "mine." Please. You're the ones who send their sorry butts up here. I chose to live here and I've never for one second worked for any local, state or federal government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I never learned to play the game, and I'll bet most of the country feels the same way.
Which is exactly why all the deceit, egotism, lack of campaign finance reform, gerrymandering, non-filibuster filibusters, and all the rest continue to flourish. Because most of the rest of the country isn't paying attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
You have decided that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble, and I guess I understand it.

I just ask you to be careful. The NRA is somewhat protecting our rights to protect ourselves. We don't live in your world. WE do have bad guys around us, and they want what we have worked long and hard for.
Wrong again. I've never said that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble. I've said that people who are regularly gunning down innocent people at the rate of roughly 60 a day are responsible for all the trouble. I've also said that the NRA, through its millions and millions and millions of dollars in special interest money collected from gun manufacturers and dealers makes it easier for those bad people to do what they do. And, I'm amused that you think that I live in a crime-free world. I'm not even going to discuss that with you, except to say that, once again, you're very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
By the way, I am sick of people on here saying I am in denial. I live it everyday. In many ways I know real life much more than you or Mars, or Kuki. If you want to talk to your kids, you call them on the phone. I must get on my knees to talk to one of mine.
To my knowledge, nobody here has ever disrespected your loss. But you've decided to play in this sandbox, and you should understand that when you say things like if it's broke somebody should fix it, and if one person can't be confirmed all you have to do is appoint somebody else, and the NRA doesn't write legislation, you're going to be called out. You can't on the one hand say that "my job is to stay out of the way," and on the other hand say that you're not in denial. Many people who've suffered as you have are inspired to NOT stay out of the way, but instead to get in the way of the status quo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I would love for our country to be like it was. I would love for our schools to be safe again. I would love our leaders to lead.
That's nice. But if you and those like you feel that the path to these worthy hopes and dreams is to "stay out of the way," then I'm afraid you're in for further disappointment.
__________________
The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place. -- George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by AR; January 18th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Obama On Jon Stewart Tonight Luanne Russo Open Debate 7 October 19th, 2012 10:24 AM
Jon Huntsman Lakers Fan Chit - Chat for Cruisers 5 October 29th, 2011 08:22 PM
Ron Jon Surf Shop shlameggy79 Carnival Cruise Lines 5 August 4th, 2007 01:37 AM
Rollerdonna, How was Jon? Trip Chit - Chat for Cruisers 1 July 25th, 2005 07:47 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:51 AM.
design by: Themes by Design

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1