Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 17th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Default Guns and Jon Stewart

I do enjoy The Daily Show most days, but the first ten minutes of last night's edition was probably one of the finest examples of political satire I've ever seen. So sharply written, and so sharply produced.

I know that most on the right never watch this show, but I urge you all to make an exception and watch these ten minutes. Please do it. It is brilliantly funny, and we need a little humor.

January 16, 2013 - Jessica Chastain - The Daily Show With Jon Stewart - Full Episode Video | Comedy Central

And for some serious commentary on the infamous NRA commercial, you might want to look at what Republican Joe Scarborough had to say about it:

Scarborough: NRA is its own worst enemy ? MSNBC

I know that defenders are the NRA will poo-poo it, but I hope that the many responsible gun owners who are not living in fear of the black helicopters invading their backyards will disavow what the NRA is doing. Publicly if possible.
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I watched it, and Jon Stewart has still not learned to be funny. I sure wish he would ask that bird to tell him who knew about the guns sold to Mexico from Justice.

If ATF is so bad then why are things not being done to fix it. Why when one person couldn't be confirmed, wasn't there someone else put up? NRA does not write the laws, and if that is true then that also needs to be fixed.

To me I can't think of a damn joke, not one, about the killing of babies and their teachers armed with a stapler.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 17th, 2013, 11:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I watched it, and Jon Stewart has still not learned to be funny. I sure wish he would ask that bird to tell him who knew about the guns sold to Mexico from Justice.
What on God's green earth does the Mexico stupidity have to do with anything talked about on the show, aside from the fact that it was done by a demoralized ATF that has been leaderless for six years, hated by Congress for at least that long (at the behest of the NRA) and obviously has not been attracting the best and the brightest for a lot of years. I mean, Luanne, doesn't it occur to you that a weak ATF that has systematically been stripped of leadership and enforcement power would be prone to make the kind of mistake you're pointing to? What bright person would want to go to work for the ATF in its current condition? I know it's routine down there to assume that everybody who works for the government is stupid and feckless, but that isn't true. Like any other employer, agencies that are known to be "going concerns" attract generally good people; outfits like the ATF don't, because the morale there stinks, thanks to Congress and the precise points made by Jon Stewart.

Quote:
If ATF is so bad then why are things not being done to fix it.
Oy, vey! Because Congress doesn't want it fixed. They want it as broken and ineffective as possible.

Quote:
Why when one person couldn't be confirmed, wasn't there someone else put up?
Because "someone else" couldn't be confirmed either. It's a game. Until the current dust up, nobody could be confirmed. Now maybe somebody will be because a bright light has been shined into this particular rat-infested corner. Haven't you heard? All that has to happen is for one Senator to (anonymously) object to any appointment and that appointment is effectively as dead as a carp. They don't dare do it with cabinet appointments because they're too high profile and the president would go ballistic if they wouldn't even give his cabinet appointments a hearing. But other, lower level appointments are sandbagged routinely, most notoriously federal judges.

Quote:
NRA does not write the laws
No, members of Congress write them, based on draft language submitted by the NRA and other special interest groups. What the hell do you think is going on down there on K Street? Special interests write a huge percentage of laws. Why do you suppose so many Congressional staffers work there for a couple years, then move on to trade associations and lobbying outfits at much higher salaries? Because they have nice clothes?

Quote:
and if that is true then that also needs to be fixed.
Yes, it does. Why don't you get out of denial and help us try to do something about it.

Quote:
To me I can't think of a damn joke, not one, about the killing of babies and their teachers armed with a stapler.
I have no idea what this means.

Last edited by AR; January 18th, 2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old January 18th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

How can I change things AR? Washington is a mess. It's a game to most of those people. All I seem to be able to do is try to protect the family I have left, and stay out of the way.

These are your people not mine. I never learned to play the game, and I'll bet most of the country feels the same way.

You have decided that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble, and I guess I understand it.

I just ask you to be careful. The NRA is somewhat protecting our rights to protect ourselves. We don't live in your world. WE do have bad guys around us, and they want what we have worked long and hard for.

By the way, I am sick of people on here saying I am in denial. I live it everyday. In many ways I know real life much more than you or Mars, or Kuki. If you want to talk to your kids, you call them on the phone. I must get on my knees to talk to one of mine.

I would love for our country to be like it was. I would love for our schools to be safe again. I would love our leaders to lead.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old January 18th, 2013, 09:04 AM
Captain

WOW! That was funny!

Also revealing. Interesting that it is NOT against the law to sell a firearm to someone that is drunk or under the influence of drugs.
Old January 18th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
How can I change things AR? Washington is a mess. It's a game to most of those people. All I seem to be able to do is try to protect the family I have left, and stay out of the way.
Which is exactly why all the deceit, egotism, lack of campaign finance reform, gerrymandering, non-filibuster filibusters, and all the rest continue to flourish. Because people like you stay out of the way.

Quote:
These are your people not mine.
So now I'm guilty by reason of geography, is that it? I live here so all these people are "mine." Please. You're the ones who send their sorry butts up here. I chose to live here and I've never for one second worked for any local, state or federal government.

Quote:
I never learned to play the game, and I'll bet most of the country feels the same way.
Which is exactly why all the deceit, egotism, lack of campaign finance reform, gerrymandering, non-filibuster filibusters, and all the rest continue to flourish. Because most of the rest of the country isn't paying attention.

Quote:
You have decided that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble, and I guess I understand it.

I just ask you to be careful. The NRA is somewhat protecting our rights to protect ourselves. We don't live in your world. WE do have bad guys around us, and they want what we have worked long and hard for.
Wrong again. I've never said that the NRA is responsible for all the trouble. I've said that people who are regularly gunning down innocent people at the rate of roughly 60 a day are responsible for all the trouble. I've also said that the NRA, through its millions and millions and millions of dollars in special interest money collected from gun manufacturers and dealers makes it easier for those bad people to do what they do. And, I'm amused that you think that I live in a crime-free world. I'm not even going to discuss that with you, except to say that, once again, you're very wrong.

Quote:
By the way, I am sick of people on here saying I am in denial. I live it everyday. In many ways I know real life much more than you or Mars, or Kuki. If you want to talk to your kids, you call them on the phone. I must get on my knees to talk to one of mine.
To my knowledge, nobody here has ever disrespected your loss. But you've decided to play in this sandbox, and you should understand that when you say things like if it's broke somebody should fix it, and if one person can't be confirmed all you have to do is appoint somebody else, and the NRA doesn't write legislation, you're going to be called out. You can't on the one hand say that "my job is to stay out of the way," and on the other hand say that you're not in denial. Many people who've suffered as you have are inspired to NOT stay out of the way, but instead to get in the way of the status quo.

Quote:
I would love for our country to be like it was. I would love for our schools to be safe again. I would love our leaders to lead.
That's nice. But if you and those like you feel that the path to these worthy hopes and dreams is to "stay out of the way," then I'm afraid you're in for further disappointment.

Last edited by AR; January 18th, 2013 at 12:31 PM.