Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 10th, 2013, 07:06 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter
Default The Government Anti-Cruise Campaign is a Stinker

The Government Anti-Cruise Campaign is a Stinker

I recently saw U.K.-based late night talk show with a host named Graham Norton. The show’s format was different from U.S. talk shows; it featured a sequence of taped celebrity interviews from different nights, but all edited together to look like one continuous show.

I watched at least two-dozen segments with very big stars and I realized each story had a common theme; their private body parts. Whether it was Adele’s “wardrobe malfunction” where a gust of wind revealed she was not wearing panties to this example called: Farting In The Women's Toilets. Every story prompted gales of laughter; as if anything about human bodily functions is unbearably funny. (You don't have to go there, but if you do take note of all the other clips from his show and theme of bodily functions).

Things are not much different in the U.S.

I am sure everyone reading this has heard about the “poop cruise” Why am I sure? David Letterman made hay with a top ten list of “cruise ship names” – almost two months after the event. Ready?

Never mind, it really wasn't funny. Demeaning and abasing are more accurate terms.

On the same show the sadly washed-up Martin Short remade the Carnival theme song. Here is his "version".

I won’t go into all the inaccuracies, but I will point out that today’s comedians only have careers because (1) satire is exempt from slander laws and (2) tawdry "jokes" about bodily functions that should only appeal to juvenile minds still qualify as “state-of-the-art comedy” in today’s media, most likely because it is dominated by Facebook, YouTube and “reality shows”.

Media pundits are still discussing how the singular 24-hours CNN spent covering “the poop cruise” achieved its highest ratings in years. That wonderful “poop cruise” just won’t go away with its perfect je ne sais qua of titillation and social humiliation to make it a media windfall.

Naturally, publicity-hound politicians also want aboard the “poop cruise” bandwagon. Two U.S. Senators are now claiming to be so outraged - despite the fact that it was a statistically insignificant event – that they want a congressional investigation.

Forget Benghazi or Fast & Furious – two other international events where American government workers and citizens not only died, they were murdered.

May I reiterate this one fact? No one died or was even injured, and everyone got home safe and more than fully compensated from this ONE-TIME EVENT while over 18-million cruises were taken in 2012 alone.

Does one “Poop Cruise” Really Mean We Need to “Fix” the Cruise Industry?

I am a U.S. Citizen who pays taxes and makes a living solely from the cruise industry, like 35,000 other American citizens. I cover the cruise industry as a journalist, and in that role I have spent years looking at all of the issues that many people, including congressmen, still don’t understand about the cruise business.

Here are my thoughts: Each decision and step taken by the people who built our U.S. cruise industry has been made within the legal framework of U.S. federal and international maritime law regarding passenger vessels as defined by our Congress and the treaties of the International Maritime Organization (IMO) -- which the U.S. has signed and followed since the day we became a nation.

With beautiful ships offering exceptional service, Our American cruise industry means exceptionally high value vacations for everyday people - even good enough for the very highly respected Disney Corporation. There is nothing inherently illegal or immoral in their method of business. It is based upon thousands of years of sea-going tradition which is the foundation for modern international maritime law.

What Happens to Cruising “If….”

Some people are calling for laws to require cruise lines to flag themselves in the United States. Why? Solely so they would be subject to more U.S. regulation and taxes. But that is not a solution, it's a travesty.

What would really happen if you forced all cruise lines to go to U.S. registry? The same thing that would happen if every nanny and lawn worker in the U.S. had to become a union paid U.S.-citizen. Does anyone really think we could make that transition without losing thousands and thousands of jobs?

Here is what one of CruiseMates staff members, who is a solid cruise enthusiast and who leans liberal, predicted:

I see more regulation of the cruise industry in the near future and … In five to ten years I see cruising to be a much more expensive holiday and there will be fewer choices in ships, cruise lines and atmosphere. Smaller, niche, cruise lines like Azamara, Oceania, Seabourn, Silversea and Regent will either be gone or focus on the non U.S. market. Asia looks better every day for the cruise lines. I do believe that the times are changing for the cruise lines and I don't think they will like it.

I do not agree this is coming, I still believe our senators are smarter than that. But if they are not then that prediction would be the minimum damage. I believe it would be the end of the cruise industry, because very few people would be willing or able to pay the prices a cruise line would have to charge to run a U.S.-flagged cruise line.

Look at what regulation did to our airline industry; bankruptcies everywhere, very few airlines running profitably and the customer experience getting worse every day. “Still, the industry survives,” you might be thinking. Yes, but people will always need to fly – but no one ever needs to take a cruise.

There is one major U.S.-flagged cruise ship in operation, the NCL-America Pride of America sailing in Hawaii. A seven-day cruise on that ship starts at $1350 for an inside cabin – roughly three times the cost of a similar Carnival cruise or any other non U.S.-flagged cruise ship sailing seven days to the Caribbean.

Such fares, along with the resulting lower levels of service that would come from barring foreign workers, would decimate the cruise industry, and in this economic climate, with joblessness near 8% and one in five people receiving food stamps, do we really need to be destroying jobs in America just so a U.S. Senator can say he took action on the “poop cruise?”
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:06 PM
Admiral

Paul, that is why you and need to keep on writing about cruises and tell it like it is.

We all should write to the people in Congress and tell them not to kill the cruise industry.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 7th, 2013, 04:16 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
functions).

Look at what regulation did to our airline industry; bankruptcies everywhere, very few airlines running profitably and the customer experience getting worse every day. “Still, the industry survives,” you might be thinking. Yes, but people will always need to fly – but no one ever needs to take a cruise.
Uh, dude, the airlines have been DE-regulated since 1978, which is when the bankruptcies began.

Prior to that, all airlines sucked on the government reg teat.

And if you want to cruise with no regs, go to Africa. Nobody is stopping you!