Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Default Guns for the Disabled

Since there are so many gun fans here, maybe you can help me with this question.

On 60 Minutes Sunday night there was a story about disabled former GIs who are becoming entrepreneurs. One of them is making specialized rifles for other disabled people. It was a hell of a contraption: a rifle mounted on a tripod affair which then sits on a board at a firing range. The disabled person sits next to it, moves the tripod around on the board as he sights, and pulls the trigger.

My recollection from when I took a riflery class is that there are four standard shooting positions: prone, kneeling, sitting and standing. I think I also remember that the "easiest" (although not necessarily the most comfortable) is prone, because with your elbows on the ground you have a much more stable shooting platform.

So here's the deal: in the 60 Minutes story, the correspondent (Sanjay Gupta of all people) tried firing this tripod-mounted gun and guess what? He did great. Well, yeah. I would think that anybody could do great shooting from a completely stable platform like that. Seems like you could fire perfect scores every time as long as the sights are accurate, since virtually all variables except eyesight have been eliminated.

So perhaps you military and gun people can explain to me what the fun and "sport" would be in this kind of lashup. And please don't start accusing me of wanting to change or "ban" this, because I couldn't care less about it from a "gun control" standpoint. It just seems like a fruitless exercise.
Old May 14th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Working with the disabled is many times about giving the person the chance to do the things they are no longer able to do.

Going by your last sentence, I take it that is is not so much about guns as it is the work with the disabled. Am I correct?
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Working with the disabled is many times about giving the person the chance to do the things they are no longer able to do.

Going by your last sentence, I take it that is is not so much about guns as it is the work with the disabled. Am I correct?
It has nothing to do with guns per se, as I said. And I'm all for the disabled doing whatever they want, and it makes me cry when I see them crossing the finish lines of races in wheelchairs. . .all the things that take tremendous dedication and overcoming whatever is wrong with them.

The point here is that in my experience disabled people want challenges just as much as anybody else, and I don't see the challenge for anybody--disabled or not--in this particular situation. To outward appearances, it makes the proverbial shooting fish in a barrel look hard. So I'm looking for enlightenment, because the piece on TV did not provide any in this regard.
Old May 14th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Captain

For those who are disabled these devises let them enjoy hunting and shooting sports like they probably used to enjoy before the disability came about. I read a story of a gentleman who lost both legs in Iraq and last hunting season he was able to bag a deer for the first time since his injury. The picture I saw showed the gentleman with a mile long grin and a beautiful 6 point white tail deer.

Carribean Princess 07
Carnival Valor 08
Carnival Holiday 08
Carnival Triumph 09
Island Princess 09
Carnival Miracle 10
Norwegian Pearl 11
Norwegian Sun 13
Independence of the Seas Feb 14
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:01 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck Cruiser View Post
For those who are disabled these devises let them enjoy hunting and shooting sports like they probably used to enjoy before the disability came about. I read a story of a gentleman who lost both legs in Iraq and last hunting season he was able to bag a deer for the first time since his injury. The picture I saw showed the gentleman with a mile long grin and a beautiful 6 point white tail deer.
Yeah, I get that, but it seemed that these guns can only be used at ranges, because they require this specialized platform affair in order to work. I could be wrong, but it didn't seem that the whole lashup was in any way portable or that it could be used in anything but that sort of controlled environment. Certainly it didn't seem practical for hunting, although I don't think they said anything one way or the other. Obviously, they only showed it at a target range where hitting the bullseye was virtually automatic.
Old May 14th, 2013, 02:41 PM
Admiral