Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 31st, 2013, 04:53 PM
Captain

Default Canadians could teach USA lesson about citizen tracking

Relatives of a 33-year-old Michigan woman said Friday that she was killed in Syria, the only American known to have died fighting in the civil war. Nicole Lynn Mansfield's relatives said she became interested in the Middle East after converting to Islam and marrying an Arab immigrant several years ago, but said they didn't know she was in Syria.

Canada has a tracking system so they know where their citizens are when they leave the country. It's a way to make sure they can help the citizen should they get into trouble outside of Canada. Of course this cititzen tracking program also helps them to keep track of possible homegrown terrorists leaving the country for participation in terrorist training. Of course the USA can't even set up a system to keep track of aliens on visas who excede their stay so would it be too muck to expect them to keep track of citizens. They ought to leave the progam up to the cruise ship companies they do a great job of keeping track of people.

Subquestion: Who and where is the Arab immigrant Nichole married?
Sponsored Links
Old May 31st, 2013, 10:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

I'm a Canadian, and I travel quite extensively. The Canadian government has no idea where I go, until I get back and fill out my customs forms telling them where I have been, and how long I was gone.

That is unless I register at the consulate in the country I am visiting.

When I travel to the United States for example, I pass through U.S. Customs and Immigration at the airport here. The Canadian government doesn't even know I left.... unless they imbedded a micro-chip in me at birth.
Old June 1st, 2013, 09:27 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

I think the whole tracking system is kind of creepy. If this daughter had wanted her family to know where she was, she would have told them.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old June 1st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki View Post
I'm a Canadian, and I travel quite extensively. The Canadian government has no idea where I go, until I get back and fill out my customs forms telling them where I have been, and how long I was gone.
That is unless I register at the consulate in the country I am visiting.

When I travel to the United States for example, I pass through U.S. Customs and Immigration at the airport here. The Canadian government doesn't even know I left.... unless they imbedded a micro-chip in me at birth.
If you think that your Canadian government doesn't know that you left the country, it would seem they have a poor passport control system. That is If you believe they do not exchange information with the USA and vice versa. I can't believe that the Canadian government doesn't know that you left the country starting when your passport scan it at an airports by USA immigration or at cruise ship terminals.

Here's an aside I have heard - something which I can't confirm - the US Government is implanting microchips in passports. Maybe someone who has retired from the USA Government can elaborate on this subject.

Finally, Gee Kuki, did you know about the online "Registration of Canadians Abroad" service. Signing up for the Registration of Canadians Abroad service could make a big difference for Canadians especially in an emergency. Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada offers the Registration of Canadians Abroad service for all Canadians travelling or living abroad. This service is provided so that consular officials can contact and assist Canadians in an emergency abroad, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform them about a family emergency at home. Registration can be done on-line and note that a greatly improved registration system enables registrants to better manage and update their own information on-line. You can also register by contacting the nearest Canadian government office abroad.

Registration is free and voluntary, and personal information provided on the registration form is used in accordance with the provisions of Canada’s Privacy Act.

I think that this information would be helpful to Canadians even those crossing into
or residing in USA but especially those who are cruising abroad. This type of current information can be beneficial to Canadians who plan to cruise and look to Cruisemate editors for helpful, accurate and complete information.
Old June 1st, 2013, 11:53 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Here's an aside I have heard - something which I can't confirm - the US Government is implanting microchips in passports. Maybe someone who has retired from the USA Government can elaborate on this subject.
The microchips imbedded in newly issued U.S. passports only contain the same information as is printed on the identity pages, as well as the photo image of the bearer. It is not used as a tracking device, and in fact they recognized that it theoretically could have been used to track people and thus they designed the chips to prevent that from happening.

From the U.S. Passport FAQ page:

“Tracking.” ...these chips still allow the Unique Identifier (UID) to be communicated with the reader, which could theoretically allow the document bearer to be “tracked.” To prevent the use of the UID for “tracking”, we use a Random UID feature. A RUID presents a different UID each time the chip is accessed. In order to be considered random, the e-passport must present an RUID that cannot be associated with UIDs used in sessions that precede or follow the current session. Each chip uses its onboard hardware random number generator (RNG) module, thereby utilizing a true RNG base to derive a RUID.

I don't want my government tracking me. They also have no legal authority to do so without my permission, such as if I voluntarily signed up for the U.S. State Department traveler program that is similar to the Canadian one you mentioned.
Old July 7th, 2013, 08:18 PM
Admiral

The only thing the Canadian government know is that you have left the country when they scan your passport. I don't know where you get your information, but it is so wrong.

If they government was that knowledgeable the information you provided in your later posting would be useless.

If they know where you are, as you claim, then they don't need you to registered and tell them where you are going as you also claim.

Celebrity Constellation - March 17 followed by Celebrity Reflection - March 22 (done)

44 cruises - too many to list however cruiselines are in no particular order:

Azamara
Uniworld
RCL
Princess
NCL
HAL
Cunard
Celebrity
and some unknown tub

Yes, I'm a Royal Chump and proud of it.
Old July 7th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Admiral

So Big Brother is watching.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:54 AM
Captain

Smile

I find it funny that people would think that their lives are so interesting that a goverment would want to track them every where they go.If the goverment wants to track me they better have a good book to read because they are going to get awul bored.
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:47 PM
Admiral

A few years ago we drove from Germany to Luxembourg, France, Switzerland and Italy.
No one checked our pass ports, so I don't that the authorities knew where we were.
Since we are not that important it would really matter.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013
Booked Allure of the Seas....12/27/2015
Old July 20th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhill View Post
I find it funny that people would think that their lives are so interesting that a goverment would want to track them every where they go.If the goverment wants to track me they better have a good book to read because they are going to get awul bored.
Yes, don't get worked up: If you're not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me