Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:08 AM
Admiral

Maybe there will be a boom in the increase of surveilance cameras installed in neighborhood subdivisions as a result of this incident....there is a real fear that this high profile trial will serve as a blueprint for radical hate groups armed with high power automatic weapons for cover...the Southern Poverty Law Center which monitors activities of these hate groups is in the process of reviewing the application and outcomes of this law in the states where it is on the books...for those of us old enough to remember first hand the Civil Rights struggle of the 40's -70's the tone and tenor of events of recent years in our Country remind us of that struggle..and not in a good way....for the younger generation who came of age in the post Civil Rights Struggle era, they are receiving an education

No question of the "Castle " application of the law in our Country . Travon was walking to his Father's home, minding his own business, not breaking into anyone's home or car or bothering anyone and Zimmerman who was armed, self appointed himself to set off a chain of events that the legal system vindicated him. Media coverage has not been fair and balance which only makes the situation worse

Next month the 50th anniversary of the March on Washington "I Have A Dream Speech" will take place in the shadow of this case, the recent SCOTUS decision striking down the enforcement piece of the 1965 Voting Rights Act, the overt efforts of our political process to surpress and limit access to and rewards of rights for all Americans.

I plan on being there and will self impose a 10 day media/social commentary blackout on either side of the event. I will however watch the award winning show "Eye On The Prize" to refresh why that day in 1963 happened in the first place and have my 10 year old grandson with me and pray that he attends the event with his grandson 50 years from now
Old July 19th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo

Please remember Stand your Ground was not used in the Zimmerman case. It was mentioned, but not used.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Admiral

Give credit to the defense team (they read the Johnny Cochran playbook)...the original non arrest was based upon the statue...the DA's office decided on a strategy that was flawed and a well funded defense team, as they should, exploit it by having a clear understanding of the statue

Stand Your Ground and racial profiling was the 360 pound elephant in the trial..the instructions to the jury validated the defense strategy.

Much like the strategy used by Cochran in the OJ Simpson trial...the LAPD and Mark Furman were the 360 pound elephant

As the scab starts to form on the raw emotions of this trial, the part that fascinates me is what is going to happen to Zimmerman...Travon was not as bad as the defense presented him and Zimmerman was not as good as the defense presented him...

Every decade or so we seem to have the trial of the decade

Hopefully out of this tragic incident, some good will come out of it
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
Give credit to the defense team (they read the Johnny Cochran playbook)...the original non arrest was based upon the statue...the DA's office decided on a strategy that was flawed and a well funded defense team, as they should, exploit it by having a clear understanding of the statue

Stand Your Ground and racial profiling was the 360 pound elephant in the trial..the instructions to the jury validated the defense strategy.

Much like the strategy used by Cochran in the OJ Simpson trial...the LAPD and Mark Furman were the 360 pound elephant

As the scab starts to form on the raw emotions of this trial, the part that fascinates me is what is going to happen to Zimmerman...Travon was not as bad as the defense presented him and Zimmerman was not as good as the defense presented him...

Every decade or so we seem to have the trial of the decade

Hopefully out of this tragic incident, some good will come out of it
The defense couldn't say much about Trayvon. His school records were immediately sealed. Instead of the school calling police on their students in order to keep the school record look better, they categorized things as disciplinary action. He had stolen jewelry in his backpack, was filmed placing graffiti on the school, and you heard the testimony about what was on his phone (but the judge wouldn't admit it).
Old July 19th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Admiral

It is my hope and prayer that the race baiters do not make things worse. We as Americans didn't do the crime. The people in Oakland who owned businesses, that were damaged, didn't do it.

I agree with Mike on the news media making up info instead of using the truth.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 19th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Admiral

Check out the on line interview with the very opinionated celebrated basketball player Charles Barkley.
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Admiral

I read it,, I place Charles Barkley and Dennis Rodman in the same category ( not very much care what either of them think) but they will probably both be on Fox tonight

Interesting what POTUS Obama stated this afternoon...I'm sure there will be blowback from his detractors...He spoke both as the POTUS but also as a Father...his words are on my heart as well...

This is a moment in time where we have the opportunity to have meaningful dialogue one on one with your neighbor, coworker who has a difference "experience" then yours to gain insight and exchange perspective to find common ground. The politicians , cable tv and talk radio pundits have their own selfish agendas to keep things in turmoil to advance their own interest...when you reach out to your neighbor or coworker, one tends to try to reach a common understanding
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Admiral

Earlier today I spoke to a friend of mine who is retired from NYC law enforcement . In his opinion (he is caucasian) Zimmerman should have been found guilty . I then spoke to a friend of mine who is an actor (a black man) ,he believed the verdict to be just .He told me that he received a call from another actor ,one who is outspoken in his political views and is known to favor the views of groups like the KKK.He told my friend that in his opinion Zimmerman was guilty .He believes that it was a deliberate murder .You might ask why he called my friend .He had his number because years ago they worked on a film together and apparently he thought he would shock my friend .

Strange ,but true.
Old July 19th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Admiral

Zimmerman was the adult, he was safe in his vehicle, he was carrying a gun, he should have used common sense.
Zimmerman went out of his way to start trouble. He followed the teenager and set up the situation that resulted in the loss of a human life.
As far as I am concerned he is guilty.

He will pay for his crime.

TM

Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 19th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Admiral

The only reason we are able to have this virtual conversation is because of our common ground of the love of cruising and the fact that the monitors of this board had enough sense to set up this thread apart from chit chat which has many more lurkers

One of the many reasons that I love my full charter smooth jazz cruises is because 2000 jazz fans come together linked by love of jazz and it's about 50/50 mix and no one cares about the color of your skin, your political affiliation, what your views are about current affairs, the only real debate is who is the better sax player, Boney James or Gerald Albright
The music brings everyone together and no one stays in their cabin or demands a table for two at dinner or receives special priviledges because of the color of their S&S card. Our common experiences are based around the music which allows us to discuss issues like the Zimmerman case (while we are waiting for the concerts to start) and learn from each other.

For those of us that have been Blessed to have cruise in Europe, it's always an eye opener about how our Country and our challenges are view from their perspective especially regarding race relations.. I was on a cruise in Turkey (of all places!!! ) when 911 happened and in France after Hurricane Katrina. Both times there were only a small amount of Americans, and we were the only African Americans which made for interesting dinner dynamics.
The next month or so should be very interesting for all Americans
Old July 19th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Admiral

Default Music bridges all differences

Quote:
The only reason we are able to have this virtual conversation is because of our common ground of the love of cruising and the fact that the monitors of this board had enough sense to set up this thread apart from chit chat which has many more lurkers

One of the many reasons that I love my full charter smooth jazz cruises is because 2000 jazz fans come together linked by love of jazz and it's about 50/50 mix and no one cares about the color of your skin, your political affiliation, what your views are about current affairs, the only real debate is who is the better sax player, Boney James or Gerald Albright
The music brings everyone together and no one stays in their cabin or demands a table for two at dinner or receives special priviledges because of the color of their S&S card. Our common experiences are based around the music which allows us to discuss issues like the Zimmerman case (while we are waiting for the concerts to start) and learn from each other.

For those of us that have been Blessed to have cruise in Europe, it's always an eye opener about how our Country and our challenges are view from their perspective especially regarding race relations.. I was on a cruise in Turkey (of all places!!! ) when 911 happened and in France after Hurricane Katrina. Both times there were only a small amount of Americans, and we were the only African Americans which made for interesting dinner dynamics.
The next month or so should be very interesting for all Americans
Its not just jazz ,its also rock and possibly every other music that is out there. You were at Woodstock ,"Venice ",nobody looked at skin color there .
Old July 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Admiral

Yep...I was there and you are absolutely correct, no one look at skin color for 2 reasons a) not that many Black. "hippies " there and the primary skin color was sunburn..b) there was a noticeable lack of clothing especially among the "flower children of the female persuasion" which might have served as a slight distraction for an 18 year old young man on his way to college in 2 weeks

thanks for making me laugh and lightning my mood

My Dad was a musician and he told me "there was no such thing as Black or White music....only great music and music that you have to acquire an ear for" he played a Gibson guitar and was a huge Chet Atkins fan but loved Bluegrass, Blues and Wes Montgomery

Even for hard core White rock fans..Jimi Hendrix was a bit much (the Prince of his time)....two years ago I went to a jazz festival and met Larry Graham (One in a Million) and he was nice enough to autograph my picture of him playing at Woodstock with Sly & The Family
Stone

In the 1950's in the Jim Crow South, police would stop Chuck Berry from playing because teenagers would tear down the ropes dividing the races to dance together..today the top selling R&B artists are White (Robin Thick and Justin Timberlake) and the top rappers are White....who knew...kids don't seem to be the problem with race relations...it's the grown ups
Old July 20th, 2013, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Robin Thicke is appearing in concert this summer in Wingate Field in Brooklyn (a free concert) for the residents of the area .

Old July 20th, 2013, 08:48 PM
Admiral

His record & video "Blurred Lines" is red hot...should be a great concert
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:34 PM
Captain

Florida's so-called "stand-your-ground" law was key to this case, and is why Zimmerman is innocent.

In a nutshell, it says that if you're in a public place, you don't have to retreat from a threat, and if there isn't evidence otherwise, you can't be charged with basically anything as long as you claim self-defense. I know it sounds nuts, but that is Florida law.

In other words, if you're alone in public place with a person in Florida, you can kill him and not be charged as long as you say the other guy threatened you. The old joke is: "bagged me two n****** and a Jew so far".

The law is pretty easy to look up. Google it!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:06 AM
Admiral

I would not be surprised if next weekend we will see 3 different cable tv docu-dramas...FOX will have "The George Zimmerman Story."..MSNBC will have "The Travon Martin Story."..PBS will have a special Frontline Edition "Who Owns The Ground That We Stand On"

I would watch PBS
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Admiral

I would not watch any of them. The trial is over, and young man is dead, and the pot has been stirred. It is time to look to the future, and not look back, to see if things will get better, and protect our young people, in all colors.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Admiral

Default Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
I would not watch any of them. The trial is over, and young man is dead, and the pot has been stirred. It is time to look to the future, and not look back, to see if things will get better, and protect our young people, in all colors.

People ,young and old are killed every day but not all murders attract Al Sharpton ,he is selective .

Nothing ever changes .
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
People ,young and old are killed every day but not all murders attract Al Sharpton ,he is selective .

Nothing ever changes .
Old Rev al I wonder how that girl is doing that he made such a big deal about many years ago, and come to find out, she and him made it up. He's a pig in my book, and depends on Racism staying around.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
Admiral

Default "Rev."Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luanne Russo View Post
Old Rev al I wonder how that girl is doing that he made such a big deal about many years ago, and come to find out, she and him made it up. He's a pig in my book, and depends on Racism staying around.

He was never ordained . He was a normal kid from Brooklyn who graduated HS with one of my former neighbors .Then he went to the same college as I did but he dropped out after 2 years.
Ar some point in his life he bagan to refer to himself as a Minister .
Nearly every year there are stories about him failing to pay taxes yet he is never prosecured .
The new story making front page headlines is that he is dating a woman 30 years younger than himself (he is legally married to another woman).
He lives in NJ in an affluent neighborhood where almost no people of color live except for Louis Farrakhan.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:49 AM
Admiral

It is difficult to listen to him speak. He wants to be some sort of Dr. King, but every time he opens his mouth, he causes trouble.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:05 PM
Admiral

He had family problems when he was a teen and was taken in by a local community leader by the name of Lenny Dwoskin . He would tell people that Al was a wonderful kid .
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Admiral

Barrack Obama, Terry Booker (Mayor of Newark) the Mayor of San Antonio ( who is Latino forget his name, sharp guy) etc., are the cutting edge of the new generation politicians whose roots are not in the Civil Rights struggle of the 60's-70's... in a sense they represent MLK's dream fulfill that if given the opportunity and access to education, all things are possible...I doubt even MLK in his wildest dream would have thought his children would live to see a President of the United States who is a person of color...but he would be so proud..and based upon J Edgar Hoovers antics, MLK would relish the fact that the Attorney General of the United States is a person of color...who knew

Conversely, as our nation becomes more multi cultural, the "old guard" remains of the civil rights leaders (with the exception of John Lewis) who should have gracedfully past the torch are still trying to hang on and have not recognize that the Civil Rights struggle has evolved and requires a different set of skills in a politicians toolkit

Rev Al is just playing the game like Rush, O'Reiley, Hannity, Coulter, Jesse Jackson, Newt, Trump, Rove etc to make obscene amounts of $$$$ by exploiting and having a self interest in folks not finding common ground. Bill Russell likes to tell the story when Wilt Chamberlin passed away that the public always thought they were enemies, when in fact they were great friends, but recognized that the public feud generated gate sales...then again Joe Frazier went to his grave hating Ali....Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were great friends off the court but did epic battles on the court and the NBA exploited the Black/White "thing"

Am not surprise Rev Al lives in an upscale White gated community..Coulter probably lives next door and attend homeowner association meetigs together p

I've seen Rev Al's "lady friend"....wow....hate the game, not the player
Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

I think everyone will agree that the prosecutors in both the Trayvon Martin and OJ Simpson trials performed poorly.

Last edited by devilsadvocate; July 22nd, 2013 at 03:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old July 22nd, 2013, 04:28 PM
Admiral

Love your screen name...I agree with you and it showed what a well funded defense can do in a high profile case....I bet if we could be a fly on the wall of the DA's office after the verdict, they knew they were toast

Court TV would have Marcia Clark & Christopher Darden on as expert panelists and even after all these years it was obvious to me they are still shell shocked and their legal careers never recovered...maybe CNN Anderson Cooper will have a special with the 4 DA's that lost the last two trials of the century

Really "wierd" (but not unexpected) that FOX would have Mark Furman (infamous lead detective of the LAPD) as a forensic expert to provide "context"

Much like the OJ trial, this one will be a case study for first year law students
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:03 PM
Admiral

Default Corey not Terry

Quote:
Barrack Obama, Terry Booker (Mayor of Newark) the Mayor of San Antonio ( who is Latino forget his name, sharp guy) etc., are the cutting edge of the new generation politicians whose roots are not in the Civil Rights struggle of the 60's-70's... in a sense they represent MLK's dream fulfill that if given the opportunity and access to education, all things are possible...I doubt even MLK in his wildest dream would have thought his children would live to see a President of the United States who is a person of color...but he would be so proud..and based upon J Edgar Hoovers antics, MLK would relish the fact that the Attorney General of the United States is a person of color...who knew

Conversely, as our nation becomes more multi cultural, the "old guard" remains of the civil rights leaders (with the exception of John Lewis) who should have gracedfully past the torch are still trying to hang on and have not recognize that the Civil Rights struggle has evolved and requires a different set of skills in a politicians toolkit

Rev Al is just playing the game like Rush, O'Reiley, Hannity, Coulter, Jesse Jackson, Newt, Trump, Rove etc to make obscene amounts of $$$$ by exploiting and having a self interest in folks not finding common ground. Bill Russell likes to tell the story when Wilt Chamberlin passed away that the public always thought they were enemies, when in fact they were great friends, but recognized that the public feud generated gate sales...then again Joe Frazier went to his grave hating Ali....Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were great friends off the court but did epic battles on the court and the NBA exploited the Black/White "thing"

Am not surprise Rev Al lives in an upscale White gated community..Coulter probably lives next door and attend homeowner association meetigs together p

I've seen Rev Al's "lady friend"....wow....hate the game, not the player

Corey Booker in my opinion will be a future POTUS .I would vote for him happily .
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:06 PM
Admiral

Default Today's new york city newspapers

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsadvocate View Post
I think everyone will agree that the prosecutors in both the Trayvon Martin and OJ Simpson trials performed poorly.

Zimmerman saved the lives of a couple from a burning car ,risking his life to do so.

Perhaps he does have redeeming qualities.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Admiral

Glad he was there to help
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:14 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers Fan View Post
Zimmerman saved the lives of a couple from a burning car ,risking his life to do so.

Perhaps he does have redeeming qualities.
I don't recall if it was burning, but he assisted getting people out, gave statements to the authorities, then left the scene. According to OMara, GZ didn't even mention it to him during a phone conversation. The GZ haters got carried away with their commentary saying if GZ dragged 4 people from the car (which was not likely because there were others there too) then why was he in such danger with a teenager. Kind of being super accusing with that statement.
I've stopped watching all those shows, tired of the conversations of oppression and using skin color as a crutch. What do whites use as a crutch?
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Admiral

I don't know about anywhere else in the Country, but here it's because they lost the Civil War