Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate
Register Forgot Password?

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old July 16th, 2013, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Luanne Russo
Default What Do You Think?

Stevie Wonder boycotting Florida after Zimmerman verdict
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Conquest Virtual Cruise Topic Link
Sponsored Links
Old July 16th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Admiral

I think that Stevie Wonder or any other person have the right to go or not to any place they desire.

I live In Florida and I believe that the ( stand your ground law ) is too broad.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011
Independence of the Seas 12/29/2013 Top-notch!
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:02 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Sounds absolutely stupid to me, the whole state of Florida??? Come on!

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Admiral

No doubt the people of Florida and other states with a stand-your-ground law are crestfallen at the prospect of not hearing Stevie Wonder in concert. But then, I'd wager a lot of people would say "who?" or "I thought he was dead". His career hasn't exactly met the standard of 'hot act' for many years now.

But, if he wants to do this then whatever. I couldn't care less.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Admiral

Default Steveland Morris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Sounds absolutely stupid to me, the whole state of Florida??? Come on!

He is getting more publicity from this statement than he has in recent years for his music .
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:41 PM
Admiral

In the early 60's New Orleans was courting a NFL franchise and offered to host the annual allstar game (pre Super Bowl)...because of Jim Crow segragation laws, Black players could not stay in the same hotel, eat at the major dining establishments, and Black fans were not allowed to purchase prime seats at the game...The Black players that year boycotted the game, the White players supported them, the NFL league office told the City that unless they changed the Jim Crow law for public accomdations, the City would never receive a NFL franchise...guess what happen in 1965?
In the early 90's several German citizens were killed in Florida at a rest stop. The German government called for a boycott of it's citizens vacationing in Florida....guess what happen
Every year Florida host several major conventions sports activities and chartered music theme cruises targeted to African Americans. Oh yea, outside of New Orleans, guess which cities has hosted the most SuperBowls?
My friends, Stevie Wonder led the effort to have a national holiday for MLK and organized fellow entertainers to boycott performances in South Africa until Nelson Mandela was let out of prision..don't underestimate his influencd
Based upon the incredible insensitive remarks of the lead defense attorney's, I have decided to attend next month's March on Washington with my son and grandson to honor the 50th anniversary of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech...so much has changed for the better and yet so much has remained the same
Old July 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Default Racism

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
In the early 60's New Orleans was courting a NFL franchise and offered to host the annual allstar game (pre Super Bowl)...because of Jim Crow segragation laws, Black players could not stay in the same hotel, eat at the major dining establishments, and Black fans were not allowed to purchase prime seats at the game...The Black players that year boycotted the game, the White players supported them, the NFL league office told the City that unless they changed the Jim Crow law for public accomdations, the City would never receive a NFL franchise...guess what happen in 1965?
In the early 90's several German citizens were killed in Florida at a rest stop. The German government called for a boycott of it's citizens vacationing in Florida....guess what happen
Every year Florida host several major conventions sports activities and chartered music theme cruises targeted to African Americans. Oh yea, outside of New Orleans, guess which cities has hosted the most SuperBowls?
My friends, Stevie Wonder led the effort to have a national holiday for MLK and organized fellow entertainers to boycott performances in South Africa until Nelson Mandela was let out of prision..don't underestimate his influencd
Based upon the incredible insensitive remarks of the lead defense attorney's, I have decided to attend next month's March on Washington with my son and grandson to honor the 50th anniversary of MLK's "I Have A Dream" speech...so much has changed for the better and yet so much has remained the same
When I was 12 years old my best friend was murdered because of the color of his skin .This was in Brooklyn,NY not in the "deep" south. Nobody came out to protest .
In 1964 when I was a member of CORE 2 college students from NYC came to the south to try and make a difference ,Schwerner and Goodman were murdered along with a young black man named Cheney .
I was part of another group of three ,fortunately we survived but other CORE members working with us did not .
Dr.King was a great man ,certainly the most influential that I have ever personally known .If he were alive today perhaps the world would be a better place .

Last edited by Lakers Fan; July 17th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Admiral

Venice, we have come a long way. Too bad that inequality and racism is still alive and well.
Old July 20th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
No doubt the people of Florida and other states with a stand-your-ground law are crestfallen at the prospect of not hearing Stevie Wonder in concert. But then, I'd wager a lot of people would say "who?" or "I thought he was dead". His career hasn't exactly met the standard of 'hot act' for many years now.

But, if he wants to do this then whatever. I couldn't care less.
Attaboy, Dave. Go for the "what have you done lately?" canard. Happily, neither I nor anyone I know would ever say "who?" or assume Stevie dead. But then I'm guessing he was never your cup of tea to begin with.

Whether or not he was, a quick look at his bio reveals credentials apart from his music that make his opinions relevant, to say the least. He's been on the side of the angels for a very long time when it comes to fairness, equality and tolerance. His Florida boycott isn't really about hurting Florida's revenue per se; it's about making a statement regarding what's going on down there.

Demean him all you like. It's shameful, but by God it's your right!
Old July 20th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Admiral

AR,

Once again your predilection for parsing my words falls short of what I was saying.

I was referring to the young people of today who were born after Stevie's heyday being the one's who might ask "who?", and for the rest of us who haven't heard much from him in years being those who might have thought he had passed away.

I did happen to like his music 'back in the day', and I agree with Lakers Fan that Stevie is getting more press from this than from his music of recent years. And perhaps that has more to do with his boycott than some might think.
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Admiral

Dave...young people not only know who Stevie Wonder is (thru collaberation with rappers) but his music is "sampled" by most of the artists recording today...Stevie's hit "Ribbon in the Sky" is the #1 most requested wedding reception song in the world. Just saw him in concert two months ago and it was packed with both young and old Black and White

There are alot of artists who have not had a "hit" in 30 years on the radio who the younger generation is now "discovering" because of technology and internet radio and "Cloud"

I agree with everyone about other motives...don't be surprise if Stevie is at next month's 50th anniversary performing a brand new song written for this special occasion (think another We Are The World collaberation) featuring Travon Martin's favorite artists that were on his IPOD the night he was killed

I believe the term "evergreen" (meaning last forever) is often associated with his music
Old July 20th, 2013, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Thanks for the info, Venice. And also for the cordial response.

One of my all-time favorite songs is "I Just Called...." and I am serious about being a fan of Stevie years back. Songs In The Key Of Life is an album for the ages and it is in my music library. I simply have not heard much about him for many years.

And, to be clear, I have long grown weary of celebrities inserting themselves into everything. Stevie's motives may be pure but they blend into the mix of pop culture and it just gets to be too much. You know?...
Old July 21st, 2013, 12:28 AM
Admiral

Dave...I hear you...in the Civil Rights struggle during the 50's-60's celebrities played a key role in supporting Dr, King to bring media attention and provide critical financial support. Often they put their careers on the line, lost bookings and very often were jailed.

In today's TMZ world, where tweeting is king and reality tv figures are instant celebrities without having any real talents or abilities, it seems "our" generation understanding of celebrity status has lost it's value....our youth place on a pedestal pro athletes who never finish college, never registered or actually voted, or pay homage to the athletes that played the game before them, whose's sacrifices made possible the multi $$$$ and endorsements that they enjoy. Don't get me going about singers

I really admire Brad Pitt & Angelina Joline...After Hurricane Katrina they established the Make It Right Foundation to build affordable energy efficient, storm proof homes in the lower 9th ward of New Orleans..,they committ their time, celebrity status to attract financial contributions and supporters and have been here from day 1. So many other celebrities come in for a photo op and internet sound bite, make noise and never see them again. Former 1st Lady Laura Bush has quietly return many times with her Foundation to rebuild libraries in the lower 9th ward and provide books. Hometown native actor Wendell Pierce has partner to open grocery stores in the lower 9th so residence can have affordable fresh fruit

The 50th anniversary of the March On Washington I Have A Dream Speech next month will hopefully draw those celebrites still alive who put it all on the line in 1963 so today's version of celebrities can learn how important they can be to the Civil Rights struggle

Us upstate mid Hudson Valley old timers have to stick together to keep up with today's trends...my next door neighbors have 5 teenage daughters who give lessons to me every year before my smooth jazz cruises, of the current "in" dances so I don't embarass myself...I can do a mean "Wobble" &" Dougie"...two years ago Doug E. Fresh was performing a noon time concert on our cruise and I "did the Dougie" with him, which after looking at the pics of us, I did my neighbor's daughters proud for a 60 year old 60's Do The Hustle" guy
Old July 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM
Admiral

I think that Stevie Wonder can do what he wants to do, as we are still a free country, but I think that it's a terrible thing to do to all of Florida.

He says it is for Stand your ground, but the official records will tell you that it was not used in the Zimmerman case. It also shows that many people of color have used the law successfully, so who is Mr. Wonder trying to hurt?

I like it when celebrities speak up for what they believe in, but it is also important they know what they are talking about.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 21st, 2013, 04:20 PM
Admiral

Not quite the same thing but sort of similiar . I am a member of an organization that runs fundraisers for the Make A Wish Foundation . I specifically was responsible for contacting people in show business to appear .Ninety percent of everyone I contacted came to the shows ,never asked to be paid ,gave hours to the children. However ,a few very well known people asked to be paid ,they wanted publicity from my organization as well as Make-A-Wish .We turned them down and publicized the face that they made the demands .
I am not equating this with Steveland Morris but there are people who take a similiar stand because of their inflated ego.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:38 AM
Admiral

The instructions that the judge gave to the jury allowed them to use portions of the statue in their deliberations...the original no charge was based upon the statue...the defensive was smart enough to use the self defense angle based upon the charge of the DA, but make no question about it, the defense team presentation was designed around the statue and play into the jury's preconceived fears in a community that has a long history of racism. It should remind everyone of Johnny Cochran's defense of OJ

Travon was profiled, stalked, feared for his life and killed by Zimmerman...he was not armed, Zimmerman was. There is no question if the situation was reversed, there would be a different outcome..the defense team painted Travon as a thug and Zimmerman has having "good in his heart" in protecting "his" community. Travon's Dad lived in that complex. That was Travon's community also. The gun is the key to this
Old July 22nd, 2013, 07:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The instructions that the judge gave to the jury allowed them to use portions of the statue in their deliberations...the original no charge was based upon the statue...the defensive was smart enough to use the self defense angle based upon the charge of the DA, but make no question about it, the defense team presentation was designed around the statue and play into the jury's preconceived fears in a community that has a long history of racism. It should remind everyone of Johnny Cochran's defense of OJ

Travon was profiled, stalked, feared for his life and killed by Zimmerman...he was not armed, Zimmerman was. There is no question if the situation was reversed, there would be a different outcome..the defense team painted Travon as a thug and Zimmerman has having "good in his heart" in protecting "his" community. Travon's Dad lived in that complex. That was Travon's community also. The gun is the key to this
I don't believe Trayvon was profiled. If he was acting strange, that's what drew GZ's attention. GZ did not draw the gun before getting into the altercation. TM was there visiting because of being on school suspension.

GZ was not innocent as people say by the verdict. That's a term that meant the State didn't prove profiling. By the way, why do you say they painted TM as a thug? They didn't. His negative records were not allowed into the trial.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 09:38 AM
Admiral

I am divorced..when my son/grandson come and stay with me, they are not visiting they are home and thus a part of my community
As I am sure that Mike & Todd and other law enforcement types would say, GZ actions are the worse nightmares of the local police in terms of neighborhood watch training...GZ made certain assumptions (profiling race or not), started down a path against specific instructions from law enforcement ,that led to confrontation...what is in contention is the confrontation....if GZ did not have his gun and was in fear of Travon, why did he follow him...it's funny, in the age of cameras on cell phones why was there nobody video taping the confrontation..I have had a gun drawn on me...it stops you in your tracks and then the adrenilan (sp) kicks in and it's either fight or fright...I would suggest if it's playing in your area see the movie Fruitvale Station about a 2007 high profile case in Oakland that was video by many cameras and or go back and look at the video of the LAPD beating of Rodney King. I would watch the defense closing summary again and try to put yourself in the heart of Travon's parents when OMera described their son
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Default Interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthlessboss View Post
I don't believe Trayvon was profiled. If he was acting strange, that's what drew GZ's attention. GZ did not draw the gun before getting into the altercation. TM was there visiting because of being on school suspension.

GZ was not innocent as people say by the verdict. That's a term that meant the State didn't prove profiling. By the way, why do you say they painted TM as a thug? They didn't. His negative records were not allowed into the trial.

I have discussed the outcome of the trial with police officers ,lawyers ,politicians ,athletes ,actors ,authors and just everyday people .
Charles Barkley a prominent former athlete who has suggested that he may run for political office believes the verdict was just .
I honestly do not know .I've been mugged by a guy who had a gun to my forehead and pulled the trigger ,the gun jammed . I was mugged by gunpoint on a train ,mugged by knife ,mugged by a group of people and thrown through a store window by a gang.
All of these people were black .Conversely I have witnessed horrific crimes to black people by white people.
We live in a sick society .A person who posts on CM sent me an e-mail saying that I should forget about my friend being murdered in 1955 because it was so long ago . I will never forget.
Hopefully society will change but definitely not in my lifetime.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:48 PM
Admiral

Asking you to forget is sick in it's self. You never forget something like that. I also have been harmed by way of people of color, and I am guilty of from time to time profiling. I would think most have, even if they won't admit it.

After Joe died, I would see a black teen, and start shaking. It took until I saw one of my own students, for me to realize that even though I lost Joe because of profiling, it was no excuse for me to get so up tight.

I still say that profiling is not the biggest problem in this country. What is important is opportunity for those who can work, to get a job, provide for their families, and work done in the communities with our young people.

I suspect we will get worse in the world, not better. With very few rights and wrongs rules in this country, there is nothing to keep people on the straight and narrow.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Luanne....I thought how much your family and Travon' family are forever linked and I pray for both of you. It's actually your mutual bonding that gives me Faith that things will get better, but you are so right in the fact that we have to invest in our children to break the cycle

I have discovered (and you already knew because of your students) thru working in my Church, that many of our young people limit their dreams, or their view of the world is limited by their surroundings and they have no person in their day to day lives to show them the path to the long game of life. I also did not realize how much external. negative stimuli (media) sends the wrong message and quite frankly, bad parenting (or no parenting at all) seals the deal before they ever get started

I have suggested to my Bishop that our Church reach out and partner with a White Church of our same size and economic background but of a different Faith, to work with our young men. I am convinced that the best way to make things better is at the grass roots level and also supporting our classroom teachers in grades K-6 in our community (as you well know that's the age dreams are formulated)

Luanne..keep the Faith and pray for a Woman President of mixed heritage. (think about that for a second)
Old July 23rd, 2013, 08:28 AM
Admiral

I am connected to the Martin family. So much so, I can look at how long it has been, and know what they are probably going through.

I remember after our day in court. It was such a let down. Somehow I, in my broken heart, believed it would make things right. It didn't. Joe was still gone.

I am also either very stupid, or a saint, but I forgave Joe's killer. That freed my heart to heal. I believe that the hate people feel, stays in your heart, and keeps you from loving again. To this day, Joe's killer and his family are in my daily prayers. His mom was in prison, dad was unknown, and his grandfather was a little old man, who I felt so sorry for.

As far as a all white neighborhood, I have not lived in one since I was a kid. The military doesn't have all white neighbors. We all live together as one. That meant that my kids went to school with many colors. I remember Joe coming home from school one day. He said "Mom how many black friends do I have"? Some new kid was teasing him. I answered his question by helping him count, and then we talked about how important it was to not count color, but hearts. When you count hearts, you only have one type. that also goes for religions. If you count their heart, religion doesn't come into play.

Working with young people was a joy in my life. I loved everyday of it, but it could also be so frustrating , because many times working with children of color, I had to deal with their belief that white people can't be trusted. Not only did I have to teach, but I had to help them get over their racism. Most people think that only whites can be racist, but that is clearly not true.

As far as a woman for president, I hope their will be one, but I hope the American people do not settle for just anyone, but one that is qualified to be president.
Conquest 2006
Conquest 2007
Ecstasy 2008
Valor B2B 2008

Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:16 AM
Admiral

Sadly...children learn hate and race prejudice from their parents which these days is reinforced by images they receive thru watching tv and listening to music. As you know " career military brats" grow up to have a much more healthy perspective about acceptance of others who are of different backgrounds, can adapt to change much easier, and have seen. much more of the world. They learn trust because they know one if not both of their parents if they are deployed, trust and depend on people of all colors to come home safely

I saw Dr. Bill Cosby do a rare comedy concert last month. Two things stuck in my mind on my flight home...1) his style of comedy (clean, "colorless "based upon the common foil of alll families) is still as funny today as it was when he started out in the 60's....2) his 80's ground breaking tv show "The Cosby Show".did more to improve understanding. between Blacks & Whites then any legislation, protest ever could. It was must see tv for all Americans
Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
Admiral

Default Bill Cosby

Quote:
Sadly...children learn hate and race prejudice from their parents which these days is reinforced by images they receive thru watching tv and listening to music. As you know " career military brats" grow up to have a much more healthy perspective about acceptance of others who are of different backgrounds, can adapt to change much easier, and have seen. much more of the world. They learn trust because they know one if not both of their parents if they are deployed, trust and depend on people of all colors to come home safely

I saw Dr. Bill Cosby do a rare comedy concert last month. Two things stuck in my mind on my flight home...1) his style of comedy (clean, "colorless "based upon the common foil of alll families) is still as funny today as it was when he started out in the 60's....2) his 80's ground breaking tv show "The Cosby Show".did more to improve understanding. between Blacks & Whites then any legislation, protest ever could. It was must see tv for all Americans
Bill Cosby appears in the documentary that I contributed to: Undefeated:The Roger Brown Story .
Old July 24th, 2013, 05:50 AM
Admiral

I saw it...great job
Old July 24th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Admiral

Default Venice

Quote:
I saw it...great job

I am glad that you liked it .
Old July 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Admiral

Was he in the ESPN presentation Black Magic? When the NBA allstar game was in New Orleans the movie was premiered and I went and was able to meet several of the players that were featured in the movie and the best part, was I met my hero Earl" The Pearl" Monroe
Old July 25th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Admiral

I never met Earl Monroe but I have met for Knick players Walt Frazier ,Len Chappall and Art Hayman.
Old July 26th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Admiral

Before jumping to conclusions, perhaps Mr. Wonder should listen to this; https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=608832945815209

Very interesting the way the press and misrepresented the facts.
Travel Agent/Cruise Specialist w/12 yrs exp and 47 Cruises on 11 cruise lines! Favorites: Paul Gauguin - Tahiti: Uniworld River Cruises - Europe; Celebrity Solstice-class ships; Holland America - 12-nights Baltics & Russia; RCCL - 14-nights Greek Isles, Turkey, & Croatia; Holland America - 14-day Alaskan cruisetour; 10-night Canada/New England cruise; 21 days Hawaii w/7-night NCL cruise; Oceania - 25 days in Asia; more than 3 months touring Europe by train. And many all-inclusive resorts!
Old July 26th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Admiral

considering the source and history of this person, I put absolutely no faith in this video. His agenda is well known and does not contribute value towards the situation

The internet and social media sites are both good/bad in how they influence public opinion..... journalist integrity is one of the first major casualties of having no checks and balances when something is posted in these venues

Time for healing both for the families involved and for our Country